Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ikyds internet monitor

Options
  • 08-02-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Has anyone got or used ikyds internet monitoring at home. With all the dangers and inappropriate content on the internet we wanted something to help us control what the kids are viewing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 glasseye

Hi,

Have a look at https://www.opendns.com/.

It basically does the same thing as ikyds. It's free and will protect your children from the dangers of the internet for free.

There are two downsides when compared to iKyds solution:

1. You need to change the DNS settings on your router that your internet company gave you to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

2. You can not control the time your child spends on the internet.

FYI, none of the current solutions allow to to control the data on your childs mobile phone if they are not connected via the wifi but via the mobile network provider.

This is a scandal as all the major mobile networks provide this services free in other larger European countries (markets) where its sold as a family package with free parental controls.

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

fennor72 wrote: »
    Has anyone got or used ikyds internet monitoring at home. With all the dangers and inappropriate content on the internet we wanted something to help us control what the kids are viewing

My experience with kids is that if you start blocking sites they'll find a way to get to them - in the library, public wifi, data connection, etc. Their friends will tell them about ways to get around blocks if they can't figure it out themselves.

Education is better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 glasseye

Orion wrote: »
    My experience with kids is that if you start blocking sites they'll find a way to get to them - in the library, public wifi, data connection, etc. Their friends will tell them about ways to get around blocks if they can't figure it out themselves.

Education is better in my opinion.

Your right of course. Both restrictions (ikyds) and education (children) are only part of the over all solution. There is also adult education, what other parents allow while your kids are in their houses… We all could go on.

But as a simple to use tool, as part of a strategy to restrict wifi access within you household I do think it’s a good tool. Yes it can be circumvented by changing the ip setting on the connecting device, but A - your kids have to be old enough to think of doing it. B – they have to be tech savvy enough to do it. C – Its easy to spot if you child is online and not appearing on the ikyds app / openDNS control panel (€20 p/a ).

In other word I would go shooting down the value of a system like ikyds or openDNS to not worth the effort just because it has some flaws. It has value and it has a place in, I would suggest most households. For instance ikyds is perfect for a non tech savvy parent with kids under 12 who want to use the internet, and IMHO in that situation represents great value for money and big piece of mind that while in your house they won’t stumble on to a rude site.

Advertisement