Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail Merge

Options
  • 08-02-2018 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a standard email and attachment that I want to send out to > 100 people.

I have their names and email addresses.

I understand that it is possible to do this via Google and MS Word/Outlook but I need to send it from my Eir email account.

I understand the term is mail merge?

Any advice/information appreciated.

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a standard email and attachment that I want to send out to > 100 people.

I have their names and email addresses.

I understand that it is possible to do this via Google and MS Word/Outlook but I need to send it from my Eir email account.

Any advice/information appreciated.

Thanks,

D.

Is it the eir webmail you need to sent it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yeah

Why you need is a distribution list. Not sure of you can create one with webmail. Have you tried just pasting all the addresses into the address field? Again I'm not sure how many the webmail allows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is this via word in windows?

If so then you need to add your eir address to outlook.

Search for "outlook add account"

And then search for "outlook eir settings"

When you have set up the eir address in outlook, do a mail merge as normal in word.

Not sure what you mean by "via Google"

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ten Pin - that sounds interesting, will take a look.

The Google comment - someone told me you can do it via Google sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...via Google sheets.
    I'm not sure if it works with a non gmail address via google sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No, mail merge has nothing to do with e-mail. It's a facility in MS Word where you compose a template for a letter which will be posted out (on paper, in an envelope) to a list of people. You have a separate database consisting of the addressees, their titles (Mr./Mrs. etc), names and addresses and when you have the template of the letter composed, you then 'merge' the template and the addressee database, the result of which is a personalised letter to go to each addressee.

If you get a mass mailing letter addressed to you and the text of the letter starts by addressing you by your first name (e.g. Dear John), that was probably composed using MS Word mail merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Didn't use it myself, but apparently can be done, see this
    Sending >100 messages in bulk might be filtered as outgoing spam and might not reach recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I use Gmail to send email newsletters to 200+ recipients from a club that I am the secretary of.

I simply created a contact group/distribution list of Gmail contacts of the email addresses called DL-17-18-Club-Members (there is a new group set up each year with the members email address) and then I compose the email and add any attachments and use this list in the BCC field (as I don't want everyone having a view of everyone's email addresses)
    Works great

There are probably online tools that you can sign up to to do this but as I only do it 2 or 3 times a year the distribution list suits perfectly.

BTW ensure that you have a very good data protection policy in place if you are storing personal information for anything. e.g email address and phone numbers and contact information such as name and address etc

You can set up your Eir email address in Gmail

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

coylemj wrote: »
    No, mail merge has nothing to do with e-mail. It's a facility in MS Word where you compose a template for a letter which will be posted out (on paper, in an envelope) to a list of people. You have a separate database consisting of the addressees, their titles (Mr./Mrs. etc), names and addresses and when you have the template of the letter composed, you then 'merge' the template and the addressee database, the result of which is a personalised letter to go to each addressee.

If you get a mass mailing letter addressed to you and the text of the letter starts by addressing you by your first name (e.g. Dear John), that was probably composed using MS Word mail merge.

That is partly true, yes that is the most common use of mail merge but you can also do personalised emails through mail merge, again you start in Word.

• Advertisement
Advertisement