Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security system - cost?

Options
  • 08-02-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a security system installed on a 3bed new house - it's already wired for Alarm.

I'm not interested in the while phone watch alarm and want to use a system that utilises the wiring we have - so I'm not interested in a wireless system.

What ball park figure would you expect for the alarm only, no monitoring? Maybe 7 windows two doors and two motion sensors.

I've contacted a few places but I'm just trying out what a fair price is.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It really depends on what you are looking for. Its really best to get a couple of licenced installers out and get a few accurate quotations.
    Are you looking for self monitoring in place of central station monitoring?
    Our most popular systems there would be the GSD i1070 and the Siemens Vanderbilt 4300 as both have the options of free self monitoring & apps which are free to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

HKC would be our first choice, free comes at a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kub wrote: »
    HKC would be our first choice, free comes at a cost.

Yes, best out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm not asking for a cheap option, just trying to understand what price range.

Would you have a ball park figure for HKC? Self monitoring through an app would be our preference, and maybe with an option to get it monitored in the future if needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There's a lot more than cheap to take into consideration. There's speed of polling in the event of a comms fail.

This is HKCs cheap option ...

Standard - €4.99 per month (Incl. VAT)
    Managed World SIM
    Unlimited App control + notifications
    SMS control + notifications, fair usage limit 50 messages per month
    (* Alarm activations only)
    Monitoring to Central Station
    (GSM-SC Only)
    Loss of connectivity to site detected within 5 hours
    GSD is 5 Minutes
    Siemens Vanderbilt can be under a minute whether on free or paid back up options.
    See the sticky for much more information.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote:
    I'm not asking for a cheap option, just trying to understand what price range.

GingerLily wrote:
    Would you have a ball park figure for HKC? Self monitoring through an app would be our preference, and maybe with an option to get it monitored in the future if needed.

I will not make this post a bore so and get into a spat with our colleague who hates HKC.
    As per board's rules we do not give out prices, but you will find that the HKC equipment is used by the vast majority of installers out there.
    I would encourage you to go onto the PSA site psa.gov.ie.
    Look there for licensed contractors and choose 3 in your own general area.
    Then get written quotations from them but only accept same only if they come to your home and do a proper risk assessment of it.

I do not hate anyone or any manufacturer. I am simply pointing out the difference between a few different makes of system. Sometimes some companies and installers will not point inform customers of this when they are concerned with only selling one system.

KoolKid wrote:
    I do not hate anyone or any manufacturer. I am simply pointing out the difference between a few different makes of system. Sometimes some companies and installers will not point inform customers of this when they are concerned with only selling one system.

As I said, I am not going to make this thread boring for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realgonekid

kub wrote: »
    I will not make this post a bore so and get into a spat with our colleague who hates HKC.
    As per board's rules we do not give out prices, but you will find that the HKC equipment is used by the vast majority of installers out there.
    I would encourage you to go onto the PSA site psa.gov.ie.
    Look there for licensed contractors and choose 3 in your own general area.
    Then get written quotations from them but only accept same only if they come to your home and do a proper risk assessment of it.

+ 1 on that for the most. OP - Choose 3 installers in your area and get a written quote and risk assessment. I would also just add that because others make a decision to install a particular system does not mean its the right one for you. Install a system that is best for your situation and that includes initial and long-term costs. Best of luck with whatever system you choose.

Advertisement