Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old house, no earth wires. Need to change lamps

Options
  • 08-02-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello all.

I have a wiring issue and I'm wondering if I have been presented with a valid option.

It is VERY cost prohibitive to re-wire.

We need to replace a couple of pendant lamps. Issue is all new lamps/lighting comes with ground wires.

Your man said, as a workaround, he can wire the earth to the neutral and if something goes wrong, it will blow the circuit right away.

Now this seems to be a fix i can live with. Am I being mad? Will I electrocute my children?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How old is the house?

Is there an earth at any sockets? Or no earth at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I would not consider the Neutral to the Earth job at all.. If the Neutral breaks or could come loose on that circuit its not a good situation at all.

Imo you have two choices.

1. Install earths/re-wire .

2. Double insulted lamps (Generally all plastic)

Its a light fixture not a table lamp with plug correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bassheavy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How old is the house?

Is there an earth at any sockets? Or no earth at all?

Built in 1922! Quite old for residence in Dublin.
    No earth at all. We did have to put one in for the boiler, but everything is plastered over now.
    Tuco88 wrote: »
    I would not consider the Neutral to the Earth job at all.. If the Neutral breaks or could come loose on that circuit its not a good situation at all.

Imo you have two choices.

1. Install earths/re-wire .

2. Double insulted lamps (Generally all plastic)

Its a light fixture not a table lamp with plug correct?

yes, it's a light fixture. hanging lamps and outdoor lights. The current outdoor lights is just put up with the ground wwire just floating inside.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Connecting the earth to the neutral is not safe for too many reasons to get into on a smartphone. You need a rewire, anything less is a gunter. Sometimes there is no affordable answer.

I can explain the dangers later when I am in front of a pc if you are interested.

2011 wrote: »
    Connecting the earth to the neutral is not safe for too many reasons to get into on a smartphone. You need a rewire, anything less is a gunter. Sometimes there is no affordable answer.

I can explain the dangers later when I am in front of a pc if you are interested.

i wouldn't mind if you have the time.

I need to explain it to my wife!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bassheavy wrote: »
    i wouldn't mind if you have the time.

I need to explain it to my wife!

Ok, in a meeting now. Will do it at 9ish when I’m home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Your man said, as a workaround, he can wire the earth to the neutral and if something goes wrong, it will blow the circuit right away.
    Totally illegal. A PEN conductor cannot be used within the installation. That would be a TN-C installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Now this seems to be a fix i can live with. Am I being mad? Will I electrocute my children?

Crazy advice, mother of god

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

I really hope that wasn't an electrician that told you to do that.

If the neutral was connected to the earth terminal and for some reason the main neutral at the supply broke then the only path back to the transformer is through you when you touch the metal frame of whatever you have 'earthed'.
    You might have a 1920s version of an earth spike wired in 2.5sq to help a bit but I wouldn't like to have to rely on it as a lifesaver.

You would be one bad connection away from being electrocuted.

I would get all the wiring in the house checked by a proper electrician and as 2011 said a re-wire is probably/definitely needed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If there is no earth then it's a no brainer imo. Safely first. House must be rewired.

Earth on a neutral reminds me of a power shower I looked at last year. Originally it was wired for a low voltage shower & whoever replaced it with a 230 volt shower realised that they only had a live & neutral going to the shower. Instead of rewiring they wrapped copper wire around the copper pipe feeding the shower. The copper pipe was earthed somewhere in the house so everything should work out fine. Problem is plumbers when cutting out earthed copper pipe & replacing it with qualpex kill the earth run through the copper pipes. You just never know when the earth to shower, through the copper pipe is going to be made redundant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Neutral can kill you on a AC wiring system.

As above get it re wired.

How old and what colour are the cables anyway.

17larsson wrote: »
    I really hope that wasn't an electrician that told you to do that.

If the neutral was connected to the earth terminal and for some reason the main neutral at the supply broke then the only path back to the transformer is through you when you touch the metal frame of whatever you have 'earthed'.
    You might have a 1920s version of an earth spike wired in 2.5sq to help a bit but I wouldn't like to have to rely on it as a lifesaver.

You would be one bad connection away from being electrocuted.

I would get all the wiring in the house checked by a proper electrician and as 2011 said a re-wire is probably/definitely needed

He said he was an electrician!
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If there is no earth then it's a no brainer imo. Safely first. House must be rewired.

Earth on a neutral reminds me of a power shower I looked at last year. Originally it was wired for a low voltage shower & whoever replaced it with a 230 volt shower realised that they only had a live & neutral going to the shower. Instead of rewiring they wrapped copper wire around the copper pipe feeding the shower. The copper pipe was earthed somewhere in the house so everything should work out fine. Problem is plumbers when cutting out earthed copper pipe & replacing it with qualpex kill the earth run through the copper pipes. You just never know when the earth to shower, through the copper pipe is going to be made redundant
    ****e. Sounds like it will cost a fortune!

Thankfully it's a very small house.
    Neutral can kill you on a AC wiring system.

As above get it re wired.

How old and what colour are the cables anyway.

Seem to be blue and brown.

Some, like the front, are just white!

Sorry OP work has been hectic. Will get back to you on this shortly.

2011 wrote: »
    Sorry OP work has been hectic. Will get back to you on this shortly.

Don't be silly.

I got the point NOT to do this. I think we will just change the outside lights and rewire those to have a ground. The fusebox is right by the front door, so i assume they will be able to run a ground fairly unobtrusively.

When it is time to do some work on the house, we can redo everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

He said he was an electrician!

Was he Australian?
    In Australia they use an MEN link at the fuseboard to connect the neutral bar to the earth bar so effectively all of the neutrals and earth are joined together. It's illegal in most other countries as far as I am aware but part of the regulations in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The fusebox is right by the front door
    What does this look like? Old style circular fuses of a back of switches?

aido79 wrote: »
    In Australia they use an MEN link at the fuseboard to connect the neutral bar to the earth bar so effectively all of the neutrals and earth are joined together.

It's called "neutralising" (as you probably know).
    In Ireland this is normally done in the meter cabinet. This is actually standard practice in many countries.

A neutral conductor is considered a live conductor, so it should be treated accordingly.

In reality many people care little about whether an electrical practice is "legal" or not, they are far more concerned about the consequences.

Connecting the earth of an appliance to the neutral in the field is known as bootleg earth. This is quite different because the conductive parts (such as the casing) of the appliance can have a current flowing through them under normal operating conditions. This results in a potential difference (voltage) existing between the casing of an appliance and earth. The magnitude of this potential difference depends on many factors. Beyond a certain point it becomes a shock risk and fire hazard.

I got the point NOT to do this. I think we will just change the outside lights and rewire those to have a ground.

That would be a good start. I would suggest that you select a different electrician! Also, whatever electrician you use get him / her to check out the rest of the installation while they are at it. Hopefully the survey can be used to split the work into two groups:
    1) Requires urgent attention as there is an unacceptable shock risk or risk of fire.
    2) Less important stuff that needs to be done to comply with current regulations. For example, red and black colored cables when they should be brown and blue.

Old houses such as yours back in the day would have been wired using cables like this. Some of these cables may still be in use, if so they present considerable risk as the insulation would be in very poor condition by now. In addition the wiring would not have been designed for the higher electrical loads that we have now. I would rather disconnect these cables and do without than run the risk of using them.

All socket circuits must be protected by an RCD. This is not some OTT regulation, these units are an important safety feature.

Best of luck with it anyway!

Thanks for all the help, lads.

Great resource!

Advertisement