Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat 6 Fixed Port - Can I get a WIFI adaptor?

• 08-02-2018 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,

(Not a comms expert by any means so excuse any ignorance below)

I recently got some electrical works done in the house, and while doing it, i got the Electrician to install a CAT-6 cable from the back of the Sky Q hub out to the garage, to create a fixed CAT-6 port if I ever wanted to out an office out in the garage, and connect a PC/laptop. The Sky Q hub emits a WI-FI signal around the house, which i use for phones/sky tv etc.

When out in the garage however, the WI-FI signal coming from the house is very weak, obviously as the WI-FI box in in the hall and there's 2 or 3 concrete walls in between.

Is there a device I can get to connect to the CAT-6 port in the garage, which would then emit a WI-FI signal to effectibely boost the WI-FI signal in the garage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Yes.
    It's called a wireless access point, and they are widely available.
    You do NOT need a wireless booster range extender or repeater because you have a wired connection to your garage.
    An access point can be significantly faster and less hassle than a booster as well as possibly a little cheaper.
    Do you have a power socket near the CAT6 socket in the Garage? If you don't, you can get an access point that will take power over the ethernet (cat6) cable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Thanks, yes I have a power socket right beside the cat-6 outlet. Any suggestions for a good wireless access point device at a low cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

I kept the old sky wireless hub, which was replaced when I got the sky Q. Could that be used as a wireless access point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

burly wrote: »
    I kept the old sky wireless hub, which was replaced when I got the sky Q. Could that be used as a wireless access point?
    The old sky box is probably not ideal. Would you buy online or do you have a computer shop of any sort nearby?

Advertisement