Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is this train waiting?

• 08-02-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello

This happens all the time and I’ve always wondered why. The train in the pic is already overdue but waits for the Dart to leave before stopping at the platform. Why is this?

See attached pic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

Alerium wrote: »
    Hello

This happens all the time and I’ve always wondered why. The train in the pic is already overdue but waits for the Dart to leave before stopping at the platform. Why is this?

See attached pic.

Train is stopped at a signal. Perhaps the preceeding train hadn't cleared the block?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

kc56 wrote: »
    Train is stopped at a signal. Perhaps the preceeding train hadn't cleared the block?

What does that mean?

What does that mean?

Railway is divided into blocks and only one train can be in a block. If any part of the block is occupied, the signal will be red.

kc56 wrote: »
    Railway is divided into blocks and only one train can be in a block. If any part of the block is occupied, the signal will be red.

Cool thanks, but why can't the train stop at the platform and let passengers in and then wait? I understand it would then probably be in the 'block' by doing so but I just think it's stupid. It could be lashing rain and the train is late (which is nothing new, every third day theres 'we're sorry to announce') yet they still wait so they don't enter the 'block'. This country needs some German/Japanese efficiency. Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Train is stopped at a signal because either there is a train ahead (needs to be about 150-200m past the next signal at a minimum)

If the level crossing gates are open the train must wait to satisfy safety requirements as there must be an overlap to ensure safety if the train fails to stop at the signal

Signalling at Lansdowne is as tight as feasibly possible under the regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I would have assumed the platform has an assumed signal at either end and acts as a single block itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would have assumed the platform has an assumed signal at either end and acts as a single block itself?

It does but as said above the gates are open and there is always a low risk of a train failing to stop and going through a open crossing. Assume they open the gates between trains for traffic congestion reasons.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It does but as said above the gates are open and there is always a low risk of a train failing to stop and going through a open crossing. Assume they open the gates between trains for traffic congestion reasons.

The gates weren’t open for traffic though as the Dart in the pic just went past the level crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The gates weren’t open for traffic though as the Dart in the pic just went past the level crossing.

But the gates opened after that train had stopped, rules allow for one a single train in each direction per level crossing closure so they have to reopen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the gates can't open for road traffic if there is a train approaching. Railways aren't like roads, they have many safety systems to ensure that collisions don't take place

• Advertisement

Blocks need to be long enough for a train with the poorest braking performance to stop from max speed so a block just the length of a platform is too short. It's all about safety. You just don't build blocks for DARTs but you have to cater for a freight train even if there are few at present.
    If it was a dedicated DART railway only, then signalling could be optimised for DARTS but our railways are mixed use and must cater for all train types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cool thanks, but why can't the train stop at the platform and let passengers in and then wait? I understand it would then probably be in the 'block' by doing so but I just think it's stupid. It could be lashing rain and the train is late (which is nothing new, every third day theres 'we're sorry to announce') yet they still wait so they don't enter the 'block'. This country needs some German/Japanese efficiency. Rant over.
    German efficency???? We have all seen that,,, Brandenburg Airport built in 2011, still not ready to open due to fire concerns. U Bahn trains that can't run because the last lot of carraiges were ordered with the wrong width. :o

roundymac wrote: »
    German efficency???? We have all seen that,,, Brandenburg Airport built in 2011, still not ready to open due to fire concerns. U Bahn trains that can't run because the last lot of carraiges were ordered with the wrong width. :o

I don't want to get into the debate regarding German efficiency, but I meant the country as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

roundymac wrote: »

...and this collision in 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Germany does not enjoy quite the reputation it had a few decades ago.

To be fair, for a country with about sixteen times our population, and more services over longer routes, with substantial freight still carried, it does not have all that many disasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

What does that mean?

Generally a block section is a section of railway line between two signals.

Advertisement