Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension info for new recruit

• 08-02-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi.

Would anyone know where I could get information regarding the Garda pension?

I am in my Mid Thirties so wouldn't have the 30 years done by retirement age, would you just get a percentage or can you increase your contribution.

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

Hi.

Would anyone know where I could get information regarding the Garda pension?

I am in my Mid Thirties so wouldn't have the 30 years done by retirement age, would you just get a percentage or can you increase your contribution.

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

I’m not sure if it’s of any help but I normally look at the www.gra.ie website when I’m looking for this kinda info. They have a section on pensions,
    https://gra.ie/information/pension-retirement/

Hopefully it might give you some bit of an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Limerick1937

Thanks, had a quick look yesterday and sent them an email but no luck so far, might just drop into the local station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

You can increase your contribution. It is expensive but you can do it. Also if you ever worked in public service before 75% of your service can be transferred.

Thanks, have a decent pension with my current employer for the last 10 years but its not public sector. Extra contributions seems to be the only option.

Maybe im missing something obvious but i thought the cut off for AGS was 35? so if you're in your mid 30s then can you even apply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

If you joined after Jan 2013, you're in the Single Public Service Pension Scheme. It's a career average earnings scheme (the concept of "service" is not a feature of the scheme).

Regulations haven't issued yet for the purchase of extra benefits or the transfer from other private schemes.

Thanks lads, for the record I applied when I was 34, 35 now (on a Deferral from last intake)

So I take it I dont need a full 30 years service, the pension amount is based on a % x no of years service x annual salary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 docst

As previously mentioned all new recruits fall under the single public service pension scheme. As you can’t do the full 30 years you get receive a percentage of the full pension. There is NOT a faculty to buy back additional years anymore. All you can do is pay into AVCs Top up your pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭JKerova1

shar01 wrote: »
    If you joined after Jan 2013, you're in the Single Public Service Pension Scheme. It's a career average earnings scheme (the concept of "service" is not a feature of the scheme).

Regulations haven't issued yet for the purchase of extra benefits or the transfer from other private schemes.

I know someone who joined the civil service in 2012 and is carrying 75% of their ''service'' into the Guards.

JKerova1 wrote: »
    I know someone who joined the civil service in 2012 and is carrying 75% of their ''service'' into the Guards.

Yes - pre 2013 you could as it's a different pension scheme.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, for the record I applied when I was 34, 35 now (on a Deferral from last intake)

So I take it I dont need a full 30 years service, the pension amount is based on a % x no of years service x annual salary?

No - that formula doesn't apply to you - it's a career average earnings scheme. Have a look here http://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/for-members/scheme-information/scheme-booklet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SinWin

I'm working in HSE since November 2013 until up today, waiting to be called in Templemore. Can I carry over my 75% service too? and how does it work? Do I have to notify Gardas when joining or it applies automatically?

docst wrote: »
    As previously mentioned all new recruits fall under the single public service pension scheme. As you can’t do the full 30 years you get receive a percentage of the full pension. There is NOT a faculty to buy back additional years anymore. All you can do is pay into AVCs Top up your pension.

I believe regulations for a "purchase of notional benefits" scheme may issue in the not to distant future.

SinWin wrote: »
    I'm working in HSE since November 2013 until up today, waiting to be called in Templemore. Can I carry over my 75% service too? and how does it work? Do I have to notify Gardas when joining or it applies automatically?

At the risk of repeating myself :) The SPSPS is a career average earnings scheme. There is no "service" as such. You're in the SPSPS in the HSE and you'll be in the SPSPS in the AGS.

SinWin wrote: »

You should ring the pensions dept of Garda HR to clarify this but I know the person I know who worked in civil service since 2012 will carry 75% of their pension into AGS. So they will be bringing just over 4 years of pension into AGS meaning they will have to work 26 years in AGS to have full pension. This is what they were told by AGS pay and pensions dept. None of this is taken into account until you recieve your attestation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SinWin

Thank you

You should ring the pensions dept of Garda HR to clarify this but I know the person I know who worked in civil service since 2012 will carry 75% of their pension into AGS. So they will be bringing just over 4 years of pension into AGS meaning they will have to work 26 years in AGS to have full pension. This is what they were told by AGS pay and pensions dept. None of this is taken into account until you recieve your attestation.

From the explanatory leaflet of the SPSPS:
    Can I transfer benefits from prior private
    sector employments?

The option for a member of the Single Scheme to
    transfer in benefits from private sector pension
    schemes or affiliated arrangements is not
    available at present
    but may be subject to the
    making of regulations in the future by the Minister
    for Public Expenditure and Reform.

What happens if I have benefits from prior
    public service employments?

If you hold benefits from earlier employments
    under an earlier Pre-2013 public service pension
    scheme, you cannot transfer these benefits to
    the Single Scheme. Such benefits remain to
    be administered separately under your earlier
    scheme.

From the explanatory leaflet of the SPSPS:
    Can I transfer benefits from prior private
    sector employments?

The option for a member of the Single Scheme to
    transfer in benefits from private sector pension
    schemes or affiliated arrangements is not
    available at present
    but may be subject to the
    making of regulations in the future by the Minister
    for Public Expenditure and Reform.

What happens if I have benefits from prior
    public service employments?

If you hold benefits from earlier employments
    under an earlier Pre-2013 public service pension
    scheme, you cannot transfer these benefits to
    the Single Scheme. Such benefits remain to
    be administered separately under your earlier
    scheme.

All I know is that I am aware of people that have gone into the Guards since 2014 who transferred 75% of their service for pension purposes, so there has to be some sort of arrangement there for existing civil servants. But they were in the civil service long before Jan. 2013, could this be the reason they were allowed carry 'service' so to speak? Similarly the person I know who is joining now was also employed in the civil service since 2012.

All I know is that I am aware of people that have gone into the Guards since 2014 who transferred 75% of their service for pension purposes, so there has to be some sort of arrangement there for existing civil servants. But they were in the civil service long before Jan. 2013, could this be the reason they were allowed carry 'service' so to speak? Similarly the person I know who is joining now was also employed in the civil service since 2012.

If they were existed Civil Servants prior to Jan 2013, they wouldn't be in the SPSPS. They'd retain the entitlement to transfer service using the "uniform accrual" method.

Lads, quick question, where do the Gardaí stand with getting the State Pension, do they get it as normal like everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Yup, but will probably need to make voluntary prsi contributions or find a job between the ages of 60 and 68. Or 63 and 68 if you manage to climb the ladder.

Not sure if you can sign for credits instead of the voluntary contributions?

Lads, quick question, where do the Gardaí stand with getting the State Pension, do they get it as normal like everyone else?

You'll be paying class A PRSI. Therefore if you fulfil the conditions, you'll be entitled to a State Pension

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/PRSI---Pay-Related-Social-Insurance---Contributions-and-Clas.aspx

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Yup, but will probably need to make voluntary prsi contributions or find a job between the ages of 60 and 68. Or 63 and 68 if you manage to climb the ladder.

Only if PRSI class were D.

Only if PRSI class were D.

Is that for the voluntary contributions or signing for credits?

Is that for the voluntary contributions or signing for credits?

I think it could be both actually. Anyone I've known that signs for credits are retired but below the State Pension age. I'm sure there are other conditions.

However I couldn't be ar$ed looking it up :D

😆 Same. Either way. There's an 8 year gap and you need to have your PRSI cons covered somehow to make up the difference for the state contrib. pension. By the time we get to retire it might even be a 10 year gap!

OP (Limerick1937) appears to be Single Pension Scheme. His minimum retirement age is linked to the State Pension so he ain't retiring @ 60.

Although I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) - no harm OP in contacting the AGS pension section in Killarney to confirm.

Thanks lads, I have sent off a few emails last week (HRM pensions being one) no reply so far so might start making calls.

Think 60 is mandatory retirement age for guards unless in a senior position and then it's 63.

Don't think that was changed recently but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

https://gra.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/GRA-Pensions-Booklet-July-2017.pdf

Chapter 5 goes someway to answering some of your questions OP.

Advertisement