Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

evening echo

Options
  • 08-02-2018 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

i need to get the current evening echo.
    is it a daily edition or weekly?
    will i still be able to get it tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

nino1 wrote: »
    i need to get the current evening echo.
    is it a daily edition or weekly?
    will i still be able to get it tomorrow?

Just go to a garage or shop now

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Its a daily newspaper. You can get it online for a fee if you missed it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭valoren

Quick question. Does anyone know what day the court cases are published for the Echo and the Examiner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Pretty much everyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

valoren wrote: »
    Quick question. Does anyone know what day the court cases are published for the Echo and the Examiner?

Public urination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Anyone else having a problem reading on line Echo, page closing down half way through the article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Chestvalve

The fella across from Vodafone shop selling the echo if I had to work near or around him I would go out of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Anyone else having a problem reading on line Echo, page closing down half way through the article.

ECHOLIVE.IE
    The new website for the Evening Echo

Also please note that as from next Monday March 4th, 2019 the Evening Echo will become a morning daily newspaper and will rebrand as the "Echo" so; it will hit the shelves bright and early every morning from the above date going forward.

Source:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Listen-Staff-and-readers-talk-to-RTE-about-the-Echos-big-change--1a0baf04-9de5-4f38-a839-9a2ab84c059c-ds

www.echolive.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

What will your man shout now?! :eek:

sammyjo90 wrote: »

Just the word "ECHO" in short outbursts I guess
    It'll no longer be appropriate for echo vendors to shout out EVENINGGGGGGGG....EEECHOOOOOO!
    It's sad because it's the end of an era however; they must change in order to keep it alive as doing nothing would be unwise as newspaper figures have been in continual decline for many years.

A similar change already happened with the former "Evening Herald" newspaper in Dublin a few years ago when it became a morning daily newspaper which is now referred to as "The Herald".

There has been so much change in the newspaper industry with the advent of free online news. On top of that the sister publication of the Evening Echo: The Cork Examiner was re-branded twice and eventually became the "Irish Examiner" which meant less focus on local news when Cork was dropped from the main newspaper title. Maybe the newspaper publishers see more growth for the Echo by going on sale in the mornings to get local news out earlier in the day. It is still an uphill battle as the younger age demographic are used to free news online but there is still probably an audience who would support an Echo being published and on sale early in the mornings. Time will tell whether these changes can go some way towards arresting a drop in sales figures. I can recall huge reaction when the Evening Echo first went from being a broadsheet to it's current compact format back in the '90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Just the word "ECHO" in short outbursts I guess
    It'll no longer be appropriate for echo vendors to shout out EVENINGGGGGGGG....EEECHOOOOOO!
    It's sad because it's the end of an era however; they must change in order to keep it alive as doing nothing would be unwise as newspaper figures have been in continual decline for many years.

A similar change already happened with the former "Evening Herald" newspaper in Dublin a few years ago when it became a morning daily newspaper which is now referred to as "The Herald".

There has been so much change in the newspaper industry with the advent of free online news. On top of that the sister publication of the Evening Echo: The Cork Examiner was re-branded twice and eventually became the "Irish Examiner" which meant less focus on local news when Cork was dropped from the main newspaper title. Maybe the newspaper publishers see more growth for the Echo by going on sale in the mornings to get local news out earlier in the day. It is still an uphill battle as the younger age demographic are used to free news online but there is still probably an audience who would support an Echo being published and on sale early in the mornings. Time will tell whether these changes can go some way towards arresting a drop in sales figures. I can recall huge reaction when the Evening Echo first went from being a broadsheet to it's current compact format back in the '90's.

I'd say sale figures are way down, used to be mid 30k's back in 04/05 when i used to print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

sammyjo90 wrote: »

He stopped shouting years ago, now it's just the echo (boom boom)

I actually miss the old, longer chant they used to do: "EchoEveningEcho.... Echo Evening Echooooooooo"

Replace evening with morning maybe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

8559 copies circulation based on July to December 2018 figures.

Seems to be doomed.

Irish examiner selling approx 25000 copies a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Ginger83

thejuggler wrote: »
    8559 copies circulation based on July to December 2018 figures.

Seems to be doomed.

Irish examiner selling approx 25000 copies a day

Wow that poor.

Examiner poor also, was 45k-50k in my day.

I reckon most newspapers/magazines (if not all) have significantly lower circulation figures when compared with mid-2000's. Today is such a different space when you take into account the 2008 economic crash, bank bailouts, deep prolonged recession, cutbacks, tax increases, new taxes etc;

Media in general is undergoing massive changes as well not just locally but on a global scale.

Irish Daily Mail seeks redundancies to save costs
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0301/1033751-irish-daily-mail-seeks-redundancies-to-save-costs/

INM criticised over announcement of plans for 31 redundancies
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/inm-criticised-over-announcement-of-plans-for-31-redundancies-1.3762833

Irish Times agrees deal to buy Irish Examiner along with other titles
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1206/925464-irish-times-agrees-deal-to-buy-irish-examiner-newspaper/

Irish Times completes acquisition of ‘Examiner’ and Landmark titles
    Media group owns ‘Evening Echo’, local newspapers and has stakes in radio stations
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/irish-times-completes-acquisition-of-examiner-and-landmark-titles-1.3560212

No competition for Classic Hits’ multi-city radio contract
    https://radiotoday.ie/2019/02/no-competition-for-classic-hits-multi-city-radio-contract/

UK commercial radio presenter numbers could drop by more than 250
    https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/02/opinion-uk-commercial-radio-presenter-numbers-could-drop-by-more-than-250/

Hopefully the Echo & Irish Examiner newspapers can stabilise and gain new customers in the time ahead with it's updated editions following an extremely challenging time for all those who still work in the media in the last decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

And they put the examiner up by 20c with falling circulation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Anybody else a bit disappointed with the the 'new' Echo? It seems like a missed opportunity for a complete overhaul to create something a bit more vibrant. As it is, they seem to have replaced the masthead and that's about it.

I have not viewed a copy of the print version of the new edition of "The Echo".

Maybe the publisher does not wish to alienate their existing loyal readership on Day One of the switch from evening to morning.

Sometimes these things are done in a more subtle or gradual way. Of course they will want to grow and reach out to new readers but not at the expense of losing their existing readers at the same time as there is a delicate balance to strike when rolling out significant changes of this nature.

Only time will tell if the strategy being adopted is the right one...

Either way, I hope it survives and grows as I know things are tough in this industry nowadays.

Advertisement