Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAT 2018 (TIPS n' STUFF)

Options
  • 08-02-2018 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

I'm going every year but never do but this year I'm going.

Who has been?

How many days do you need to see it right? Will 1 do?

Which airport the best to fly into?

Hire Car? Bus?

Where to stay? What else to do where ever you stay if you want to make a short break of it?

Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

You might want to undertake some of your own research in the first instance. This may be a useful link.
    http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=2fc51fc28ed783db375412424db26ee0

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Been there a couple of times over the years, I usually fly into Bristol and get hire car, I have stayed at Lechlade-on-Thames (the New Inn), it was cheap & ok. Last time I went I stayed at South Marsden, just outside Swindon at "the Carpenters Arms", more of a motel, bit more expensive but far nicer to stay at.
    Last time I went the weather was a bit dodgey (heavy showers but sunny in between) on the Saturday so we (my son was with me) went for a trip to Duxford, fantastic air museum, then to the RIAT display on the Sunday. really enjoyed getting to see both places (even if it was a bit of a drive to/from Duxford). If I go again I would like to go for some of the RIAT arrivals/departure days as well as the display.
    Plenty of other stuff to see in the local(ish) area if you don't mind a bit of driving, aviation wise the Fleet air museum at Yeovilton was good, Haynes International motor museum is also near. There is also plenty of general scenic places to visit locally in the general Bristol area (Weston-Super-Mare & Cheddar Gorge etc. nice but full of tourists (& yes I get the irony!).
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

The last few times I went to RIAT I stayed in Bristol which is a wonderful city with a great choice of accommodation, historic sites and a lively waterfront bar scene.
    Early in the morning I'd take the train to Swindon(a bit of a dump), walk the 200m to the bus station and take the shuttle bus(£4) to the airshow.
    The bus has it's own dedicated route so no faffing about in traffic jams and it drops you right to the show entrance.
    That evening just reverse you journey and enjoy Bristol's nightlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Is one day enough to see everything at the show? Gates open at 7.30, show is at 10, is it worth getting there before 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Excuse my late reply.
    One day is plenty it just depends on what is flying on that day you visit, not all aircraft might display every day.
    The static planes will occupy you for an hour or two.
    The rest of the public area is taken up with hobbyist/collector stalls, some military displays and the usual country/fun fair stuff and expensive food stands.
    The standard of flying makes it worth it for multiple days though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Kuva wrote: »
    Is one day enough to see everything at the show? Gates open at 7.30, show is at 10, is it worth getting there before 10?

I would say yes. You can spend 2 hours on the static displays meaning you can relax and enjoy the flying display.
    I was there in 2015, 2 days. 1st day was all about the display (was there 11am-6pm), went back to London to stay with family. 2nd day I was there from 11am (9am train from London), spent 3-4 hours climbing around the static park (and walk around of the Vulcan) and was able to get shots of all the parked display aircraft from 6pm to closing. Stayed in Swindon that night and home on day 3.

I think getting very early gives you the ability to experience it in a single day. But 2 would mean you arent under any pressure. I felt I had lots of time to look at everything over the 2 days. Got to see a couple of displays twice, worth it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is this Farnborough we're on about ? If so one day is fine

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

trellheim wrote: »
    Is this Farnborough we're on about ? If so one day is fine
    Royal International Air Tatto at RAF Fairford. Probably the best military air show in the World.
    Farnborough is the commercial focused air show. (Think it’s bi-annual?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Yep, RIAT is military annual, Farnborough is nearly everything bi annual (even years, Le Bourget Paris on the odd years)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Just in case anyone is travelling, arrivals this year will begin on Tuesday morning, not Wednesday, as they usually do. Monday for departures is great, altho you can never be sure where stuff will depart from. Depending on the layout of the static etc, some of the fighter or helis that are displayed at the west end, can enter the runway at the midpoint and so not be seen at all if you are at the eastern P&v as the usual take off pattern is into the west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I normally go over on the Friday & back on the Monday, to be fair you need 2 days, day 1 for the statics & day 2 for the show, I love it but it is weird having a show start so early in the morning but the amount you get to see is great, the best thing about the 2 day display is that it is practically a mirror display both days save for a few appearances maybe on the Saturday instead of the Sunday & visa versa.

When we go over we normally stay in Swindon which is very close to Fairford but Swindon itself is a hole. Normally get the dedicated bus from Swindon then to the show & back, ive heard of them & didn't believe it until I seen them for myself, beware the bus spotters!:D Nearly as bad as train spotters.

Fair enough we like/love jets but they can do things like aerobatics, buses can not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Grandstand seats worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Depends on your budget. The real Aerosexuals go to FRIAT, a special aircraft enthusiasts enclosure with stepped seating, altho i believe it has been sold out for months.

Advertisement