Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College fees when 21: Homeless and jobless

• 08-02-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am attending university in Co.Cork and I live at home with my parents. They are considerably wealthy and thus we are not entitled to a grant. I live a considerable distance from the campus (30 min+ drive).
    I am struggling to get along with my parents in recent years to the point it has made me severely depressed. I am a non-drinker/smoker so there are little issues at home. I also spend my time isolated away from my parents due to our falling outs.
    I'm currently in 3rd year and for the past year and a bit my parents have been constantly threatening to kick me out of the house and cut off my education entirely for little to no reason. They blackmail me, restrict me from doing most activities and emotionally manipulate me, reminding me that if I don't do exactly as they say they will leave me homeless and cut off my education.
    It is very upsetting as I am unable to figure out what exactly I have done to anger them the majority of the time. I find it very hard to communicate with them at times or tell them how everything is stressing me out, upsetting me etc. and I feel a little hopeless and alone right now.
    They are very close to cutting off communication with me and thus ending my college halfway through my second semester. If they were to go through with this, what are my options?

Is there any way for me to pay for next year and the remainder of this year's fees finishing my education and renting a place? I figured a part time job but my time table is rather stringent and I'm not sure would a few hours a weekend be enough to afford everything. Especially considering I am due up €1,500 worth of fees in the next few weeks or so at the latest.

Will I need to drop out of college and live alone? Is there any sort of assistance or loans available for a person in my position? I badly need advice. Thanks

Comments

Your Students Union should be able to advise you or point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wk2k2018

try make peace with them... study out of the house and try attend clubs etc to stay out of their way.

you are somehwat fortunate to have parents with good income. try keep on their good side

keep the head up

Advertisement