Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house....no code

Options
  • 08-02-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can urgently advise me on how to resolve my issue, and if it can't be, the most cost efficient solution!

I've just moved into a new house in the Tallaght area which has an alarm system installed (wired in with the downstairs lights...)

The problem is that when I got the electricity turned on, and the fuse turned back on.........the alarms started (quickly turned off at the fuse!).

The alarm is a HKC model. All windows & doors have fittings etc. Obviously its kind of hard to live in a house without lighting so looking for any clever ideas on how I can reset the panel or replace it without incurring huge costs. Money is fairly tight at the moment.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I've just moved into a new house in the Tallaght area which has an alarm system installed (wired in with the downstairs lights...)

Not an electrician, but that sounds like woeful workmanship! I'd suggest it's time to get in the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi just wondering if anyone can urgently advise me on how to resolve my issue, and if it can't be, the most cost efficient solution!

The problem is that when I got the electricity turned on, and the fuse turned back on.........the alarms started (quickly turned off at the fuse!).

The alarm is a HKC model. All windows & doors have fittings etc. Obviously its kind of hard to live in a house without lighting so looking for any clever ideas on how I can reset the panel or replace it without incurring huge costs. Money is fairly tight at the moment.

Much appreciated.

There should be a spur beside the main control panel. If you pop the fuse out of it you can then turn the trip for the lights back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

degsie wrote: »
    Not an electrician, but that sounds like woeful workmanship! I'd suggest it's time to get in the experts.

The house that Jack built eh?
    There should be a spur beside the main control panel. If you pop the fuse out of it you can then turn the trip for the lights back on.

So this will remove the alarm from the equation and give me the lighting back? Might be worth a shout, though I guess I'd still need to get the alarm working for insurance etc.

Can a new installer use the stuff around doors/windows in their installation? I've also found someone selling my "panel" online second hand. Assuming they have code etc, is it a big job to reprogram? Or is it fairly difficult/roughly same cost to get new?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Congrats on your purchase. Had a similar situation recently and can recommend a guy who helped and gave the system a once over. Not expensive at all. Pm me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Don't think your insurer would cough up when they see that shoddy install :-)

You could always try defaulting my panel recently using these instructions and it wasn't that difficult to get everything set back up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can a new installer use the stuff around doors/windows in their installation? I've also found someone selling my "panel" online second hand. Assuming they have code etc, is it a big job to reprogram? Or is it fairly difficult/roughly same cost to get new?

cheers

You don't need to go to that extreme. Providing everything else is good any good installer would be able to reset this & set you up with a new codes etc.
    Just look out for the guys telling you that you must replace everything.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

KoolKid wrote: »
    You don't need to go to that extreme. Providing everything else is good any good installer would be able to reset this & set you up with a new codes etc.
    Just look out for the guys telling you that you must replace everything.:eek:

Thank you Koolkid, appreciate the heads up. I rang HKC helpline and was told there would be call out fee, and if it was locked then they would need new boards and reprogramming etc! Hence my flapping around with costs etc!

Would you have a rough idea of ballpark figure? Any keywords/terms I should be using when dealing with the experts?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

fletch wrote: »
    Don't think your insurer would cough up when they see that shoddy install :-)

You could always try defaulting my panel recently using these instructions and it wasn't that difficult to get everything set back up.

Sorry guys but I'm sick of invalid scaremongering comments like this. Not necessarily true.

The alarm may not meet some random standard by being on same circuit as a light, and I agree it's not ideal, but nobody mentioned insurance? The OP may not have advised their insurer that they have an alarm for starters.

This forum isn't for generating business for posters but to help eachother.

OP- what error are you getting on the keypad? What model HKC do you have?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thank you Koolkid, appreciate the heads up. I rang HKC helpline and was told there would be call out fee, and if it was locked then they would need new boards and reprogramming etc! Hence my flapping around with costs etc!

Would you have a rough idea of ballpark figure? Any keywords/terms I should be using when dealing with the experts?

Thanks

Nice to hear HKC are giving support to end users,however, that information is wrong.
    Even if the system is Engineer locked there are a number of ways a good engineer can default it or reset the codes.
    Call out charges vary from one company to another. They can be anywhere from €60 - €160 so shop around. This is what you should be doing first before entertaining buying a new panel or system?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Are you certain you were speaking with someone in HKC?
    Did they perhaps mention getting an installer to do what is necessary?
    HKC do not deal directly with end users most especially doing service calls.

• Advertisement

They can be very helpful at times. I have come across customers who have been sent parts and others who have been offered software upgrades.
    Either way the information suggesting the panel needs replacing if it's engineer locked is wrong, whoever gave it to him.

They are like you so, very helpful.
    I know the information about an engineer locked panel is wrong.

However my query was directed at the OP, thank you anyway

kub wrote: »
    They are like you so, very helpful.
    Yes. Thank you. I too was just trying to help the end user. That's what Boards is all about, people helping each other.

KoolKid wrote:
    Yes. Thank you. I too was just trying to help the end user. That's what Boards is all about, people helping each other.

Ahh lovely post that, maybe they might give you an award.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Mr. G wrote: »
    Sorry guys but I'm sick of invalid scaremongering comments like this. Not necessarily true.

The alarm may not meet some random standard by being on same circuit as a light, and I agree it's not ideal, but nobody mentioned insurance?
    Sorry that wasn't my intention, I just wouldn't like to see the OP in an awkward situation with their insurer were something to happen. The OP themselves mentioned insurance
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Might be worth a shout, though I guess I'd still need to get the alarm working for insurance etc.
    I certainly didn't mention it to try tout for business. I would be happy to help the OP free of charge if he was local to me. (I do not work in any capacity in the security business, I just recently had an issue where I needed to default my HKC panel and found the info on boards about how to do it and saved myself the €150 a guy was quoting me to sort it)

Not sure who else is looking to drum up new business here other than HKC telling you unnecessarily need to replace the panel.

Advertisement