Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit lost with regulations/places

• 08-02-2018 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all

I have recently moved to Ireland, usually I would fish on saltwater and mainly with lures, for bass, pollack and wrasse. The story is that a couple of years ago I started fishing for trout with a spinner and occasional fly and I think I am in the best place to finally learn how to fish on the fly.

I am aware I am too inexperienced to target salmon, and I am not planning to go for it this year, but i'd love to target some brownies. I have been reading the regulations, and what I know at this point is that you don't need a licence for brown trout but you might need a permit. Still, I don't know clearly where I can and where I cannot fish, I guess a visit to the local tackle shop will give me some hints.

My main purpose is not eating them or catch a lot. I'd love to know an easy access body of water where I can practice my casting and hopefully hook a trout now and then, without of course getting in trouble in a new country. I am not asking for an specific mark, but a way of finding them without doing anything wrong. Id also love to eventually know a nice stretch of river to wade it.

So the questions are, what would be the previous check I can do to a particular body of water? How can I tell if the place is managed by a fishery or if it is a "free" body of water? I don't mind paying a permit if the place requires one. Maybe I should start with stocked lakes? If this is the case, any way of knowing them or their prices beforehand?

Maybe I am asking is solved with a visit to the tackle shop?:confused::D (I will visit it, need gear anyway)

Any advice regarding regulations or angling itself will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Let us know what part of the country you’re in and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Peixesapo

Completely forgot! I am in Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

Get a copy of Rivers of Ireland and/or Loughs of Ireland by Peter O Reilly, all you ever need to know about trout and salmon fishing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fred Nash

If your in Mayo you are surrounded by various rivers and lakes..Arguably the best area in Ireland to fish...I'd suggest heading up to some of the river mountains to target trout...Mainly free..No licence or permit required...Only thing you will see is a few sheep...And midges...The trout vary in size from 2 inches to a whopping 7 inches...Very small but great craic...And although they are wild and plentiful it's a great way to sharpen your skills...Very easy to get takes but can be hard to hook them

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Peixesapo

Fred Nash wrote: »
    If your in Mayo you are surrounded by various rivers and lakes..Arguably the best area in Ireland to fish...I'd suggest heading up to some of the river mountains to target trout...Mainly free..No licence or permit required...Only thing you will see is a few sheep...And midges...The trout vary in size from 2 inches to a whopping 7 inches...Very small but great craic...And although they are wild and plentiful it's a great way to sharpen your skills...Very easy to get takes but can be hard to hook them

Thank you man! I actually didn't think about mountain rivers but they are fun too. Don't mind the size of the trouts yet.

Btw when I said the best place to fish I meant Ireland in general!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Mr Bumble

You could fish a lifetime and never exhaust what's in Mayo/Galway. Try and find an angling club in your area. Join if you can. You'll meet people along the way who will help.

Advertisement