Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Snow in cork city and it's sticking!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Have we not gotten over the sticking snow in Cork thing yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snowing again in Galway city and sticking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Snow in cork city and it's sticking!!!!!!!!

ShadyInbornJavalina-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

As a great philosopher once wrote "If it's snowing in Cork and sticking, is it really Cork?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Happens nearly every year yet they still harp on about this snow shield thing!

Here in West Clare there was a lovely heavy shower heading here, temperature nice and low, died to near nothing just a few miles away and dropped a few specks of dandruff. Lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Happens nearly every year yet they still harp on about this snow shield thing!

Here in West Clare there was a lovely heavy shower heading here, temperature nice and low, died to near nothing just a few miles away and dropped a few specks of dandruff. Lovely :)

Ah no not seen snow like this in a while to be honest.(and it's barely even sticking!) Doesn't beat 2010 but after that we had one day in about 2014 maybe and since then basically nothing (in the city anyway the county definitely has) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Whatever about cork county sticking snow in the second city is rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

About 17 flakes fell an hour ago without a cloud in the sky which makes 4218 (we've been able to count them) so far in this spell of snow. We got six into the fridge and piled on top of each other, they measured a healthy .0001mm before a melon rolled awkwardly and crushed the life out of them.
    There's a blob over my house tomorrow night with what looks like a stupid amount of snow in it for the high parts of Wicklow and I would ask that everyone have hair driers (on cool setting) and or industiral vacuums ready to blow or suck it our way in case there's any sign of deviation. Also, open all fridge/freezer doors and place them outside the house. Make plenty of ice and scatter it around the place to get the ground temp down so it will stick. It's short notice but if anyone has a few diggers, could you move the Sugar Loaf and anything high back towards Kildare to give the snow a clear run.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    RedSteve, you are about to turn pink!

Where do you get this snow radar website?

• Advertisement

Temperatures below freezing now - just one flurry would do, just one! :D Snowflakes still on the cars and frozen from earlier in north Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Gonzo wrote: »
    still some light snow falling here. Roads are going to be extremely icey after todays showers.

I'm not long after driving the R147 between Navan and Dublin and couldn't see road markings in parts. It was pure white, and still had some lad driving right up behind me. Really pisses you off.

Anyway, a lot more snow fell in South Meath than in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Where do you get this snow radar website?

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Make sure weather type is selected ON!

Stop ruining the buzz.

ShadyInbornJavalina-max-1mb.gif

See, some one who gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I'm not long after driving the R147 between Navan and Dublin and couldn't see road markings in parts. It was pure white, and still had some lad driving right up behind me. Really pisses you off.

Anyway, a lot more snow fell in South Meath than in D15.

White outs as well around parts of South Donegal and North Sligo this evening. Still loons unable to find their light switches, and dependning on one side/parking light.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Whatever about cork county sticking snow in the second city is rare enough.
    True but the fact that the vast majority of Corkonians live in suburban hilly areas mean that we see snow nearly every year. A very different setup to Dublin where many live in the city and suburban Dublin is also quite flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Big heavy flakes in Laytown Co Meath. Sticking to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Looking across at the N2 Castleblayney bypass. Traffic southbound at a standstill as far as I can see, which is about a 1 mile stretch. Saw some blue lights squeezing through about half an hour ago. There was another decent fall of snow about 1.5 hours ago that covered everything that had thawed a bit such as car tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

True but the fact that the vast majority of Corkonians live in suburban hilly areas mean that we see snow nearly every year. A very different setup to Dublin where many live in the city and suburban Dublin is also quite flat

Mainly north cork. lots of West cork (bar the mountainous/hilly part) cork city and cork suburbs rarely see snow so that's about 200,000 + however many people in West cork. Not too sure about east cork. Family in West cork say's the most snow they have seen in a while and friends in Rosscarbery even got snow today which they were surprised about. I'm in and this is the most snow I've gotten since 2010 without a doubt. Even if it isn't sticking it's nice to see it :)

Also it's just starting to snow again :p

• Advertisement

Steep thermal gradient in the east tomorrow night. The transition to snow will be fast!

18021306_2_1112.gif

18021306_2_1112.gif

18021306_2_1112.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lamp post watching it is tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

New weather advisory from met eireann for tomorrow night just post
    posted to there site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ZX7R wrote: »
    New weather advisory from met eireann for tomorrow night just post
    posted to there site

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    A spell of wet and windy weather, with a risk of thundery downpours, will sweep eastwards over the country during Monday evening and night. Gusts between 90 and 110km/h are likely to occur in Atlantic, southern and later eastern coastal fringes for a time. Additional accumulations of snow are likely during the period also, mainly in parts of west Ulster and north Connacht.

Issued:Sunday 11 February 2018 19:00
    Valid:Monday 12 February 2018 17:00 to Tuesday 13 February 2018 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd love for snow to arrive in its droves.

Sadly I think many here are clutching at the straws of a few flurries. It is frustrating for sure, but the childlike hankering after a few snowflakes is getting a bit boring now.

I don't think it will happen in the East anyway.

However... to redeem myself before I am mightily flamed, the forecasts for wind/gales/storms here is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Imo that’s a joke not including the east in that advisory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

but the childlike hankering after a few snowflakes is getting a bit boring now.

I'm sorry but you don't have to read the "childlike hankering" posts ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Imo that’s a joke not including the east in that advisory

To be honest I think the draw of southerly winds ahead of the front and wet ground from the preceeding rain I don’t think we will have to worry about any accumulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature rising steadily here in West Clare, despite the sky having cleared.

Much to my annoyance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

sryanbruen wrote: »
    STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    A spell of wet and windy weather, with a risk of thundery downpours, will sweep eastwards over the country during Monday evening and night. Gusts between 90 and 110km/h are likely to occur in Atlantic, southern and later eastern coastal fringes for a time. Additional accumulations of snow are likely during the period also, mainly in parts of west Ulster and north Connacht.

Issued:Sunday 11 February 2018 19:00
    Valid:Monday 12 February 2018 17:00 to Tuesday 13 February 2018 06:00
    Thank you for posting this sryanbruen as I don't know how to do on the phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement