Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Happygosad33

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that AROME, ARPEGE, and arguably the ECM are not really biting on this Monday overnight precip turning into snow. ARPEGE has been a good performer in my experience this winter, so this could just be a significant rainfall and nothing more.

Did you not see the ECM snow depths for Tuesday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's worth mentioning that AROME, ARPEGE, and arguably the ECM are not really biting on this Monday overnight precip turning into snow. ARPEGE has been a good performer in my experience this winter, so this could just be a significant rainfall and nothing more.

To help you sleep easier :pac:

hirlamuk-1-34-0.png?11-22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Shower activity very low on my side of Sligo town today

Went to the other side of town n road was white

Now shower activity has ceased but there was a graupel shower at 9 so roads 0c n icy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Did you not see the ECM snow depths for Tuesday morning?

I did and they don't really show any depth other than for high ground.

Yeah, the HIRLAM is certainly the most bullish, with the WRF not far behind, but across the range of models, there's not really a consensus. HIRLAM and WRF have been bad performers ime.

• Advertisement

I did and they don't really show any depth other than for high ground.

Incorrect. It shows 4 to 8 inches widely across the NW. Look at it again .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MJohnston is in Dublin and talking about the band of rain though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

WRF not showing much accumulations of snow at this stage. The HIRLAM looks pretty full on. Will be interesting watching that wave depression form running along the S of the country, looks like a lot of precipitation from it on it's NW flank, could a big dump of snow come from here as it draws in the colder airs? could get windy on its SW flank, possibly towards Wexford early morning ( just musing about the set up ). Another couple of runs eh ....

tempresult_fth9.gif

hirlamuk-45-39-0_qfm0.png

tempresult_oxo1.gif

tempresult_xwl1.gif

tempresult_zto3.gif

I think the Hirlam’s broken :p.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    MJohnston is in Dublin and talking about the band of rain though.

Dublin was missing from his post. Thought he meant for everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hirlamuk-45-39-0_qfm0.png

acb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Let’s hope us dubs get what we are after and not turn out like a rain event like what happened in December where there was a lot of unhappy people on here !

That's not really true, if you look at the 0h chart, it already shows 1-4 cm (I have weather.us set to cm not inches) of snow lying in the NW on lower ground (which there isn't really a whole lot of in the NW anyway). By Tuesday morning, there's maybe an extra 1 or 2cm on that low ground in the NW, while most of it is still over higher ground.

Line that ECM snow depth chart up with a terrain map from Google Maps and you'll see there's not much happening outside of high ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

From following the ICON it normally under shows snow potential. Tomorrow night/ tues morning looks to show a fair amount of it falling ( perhaps sleet, wet snow ? ) . How much accumulates is another thing. Definitely a couple more runs will tighten up the picture.

Prone to overestimating wind speeds but this looks like some blast of winds on the coastal counties. Squall lines, straight line winds will be on the look out for tomorrow evening. A memorable weather watching night in store I'm thinking.

tempresult_miw0.gif

tempresult_atj2.gif

tempresult_irr6.gif

tempresult_vdf4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I hope the Dubs get to see some snow tomorrow night. I already predict that there will be, on average, about 20 posts per snowflake witnessed.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Longing

I tried to post photos but no joy. To show 3inchs of snow here.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I hope the Dubs get to see some snow tomorrow night. I already predict that there will be, on average, about 20 posts per snowflake witnessed.

Cheers Oneiric 3 :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cheers Oneiric 3 :D.

A few flakes and we nearly have a heart attack xD

Looks potentially a white out for here tomorrow night could see a couple of inches

Ive noticed in the last 40 years that when we get heavy snow thats the end of it

I think that will be it for a while but the end of February still has Easterly potential

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Everything's white here in West Clare, roads, grass, cars, roofs. Everything bar the former is frozen solid too (roads are slowly thawing, wouldn't like to be driving though).

• Advertisement

Lamppost watching

Snow shower just now

0.6c seems to be the essential temperature here for snow

Seems to be organised showers arriving at 7 am

More snow just now

Temp 0.4c

That's not really true, if you look at the 0h chart, it already shows 1-4 cm (I have weather.us set to cm not inches) of snow lying in the NW on lower ground (which there isn't really a whole lot of in the NW anyway). By Tuesday morning, there's maybe an extra 1 or 2cm on that low ground in the NW, while most of it is still over higher ground.

Line that ECM snow depth chart up with a terrain map from Google Maps and you'll see there's not much happening outside of high ground.

You're completely wrong. Zoom in for crying out loud. Check wicklow mountains thats a set up like that. You really don't know how to reach a terrain map very well. Over 50% of Ulster and large parts of connacht are 4 to 6 inches. Honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Met E update only gives sleet/snow for high ground tonight. Gerry Murphy must be on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Due to be heading down to Mayo from Dublin this morning. Anyone here down that neck of the woods with a weather update?
    Debating whether I'm best postponing the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Heroditas wrote: »
    Due to be heading down to Mayo from Dublin this morning. Anyone here down that neck of the woods with a weather update?
    Debating whether I'm best postponing the drive.

I'm after making the journey the opposite way this morning. Left Claremorris just after 3, arrived in blanchards town just before 6. Stuck to the motorway,N17/M17 was nuts,about 5cms of snow but a sheet of ice under it. It never got any better until on the M6 at Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm after making the journey the opposite way this morning. Left Claremorris just after 3, arrived in blanchards town just before 6. Stuck to the motorway,N17/M17 was nuts,about 5cms of snow but a sheet of ice under it. It never got any better until on the M6 at Ballinasloe.

Uhoh that doesn't sound good at all.
    Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

All getting very messy in Galway city for the commute, heavy rain graupel mix here, making the roads very slippy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement