Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

You're completely wrong. Zoom in for crying out loud. Check wicklow mountains thats a set up like that. You really don't know how to reach a terrain map very well. Over 50% of Ulster and large parts of connacht are 4 to 6 inches. Honestly.

You might want to actually zoom in on the chart itself (by clicking it) and you'll see nowhere near 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) over more than half of Ulster or Connacht. Not even on the highest ground. Look here

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth/20180213-1200z.html

4 cm of fresh snow fell overnight at Knock. Snow depth this morning is reported as 5 cm, compared to the last report of 1 cm at 7 pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin Co Galway this morning at 7.05am IMAG3002_zpsi8gdvt9f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Snow day in Letterkenny. Schools closed. Yuss! Heavy snow at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

About 6 or 7cm of snow lying in around letterkenny area. Schools closed and I’m not working till 4 so I’m away back to bed for another few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

You would think we were living in a different country.

Only got 2 instances of snow on the breeze yesterday and a frosty morning today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Cork City was frosty this morning. The main issue was sleet that had landed on the car, partially melted and refrozen making it very hard to shift. The deicer spray I used didn't work at all and I couldn't scrape it so, just had to let the car heat up gently. I'm loathed to put warm water onto car windows.

The doors were frozen shut too, due to a big layer of ice.

The roads in the city were OK.
    Just a few area similar frozen sleet / rain.

Based on what I'm seeing in some cars, it looks like away from the coast and the heat island effect of the city and harbour, things were a LOT worse overnight. Cork City definitely seems to have more of the lovely crispy morning type opening to the day - no impact on traffic at all really.

Air temp is currently showing as -1°C just outside the city in Ballincollig.

Some very slippery pavements in the suburbs. I saw a lot of people walking along linking eachother for balance! Lots of patches of rough sleety ice.

I always find Ireland in some ways has more dangerous driving conditions than places that get properly cold as you're always on that cusp of melting which is where ice becomes incredibly slippy. Very hard frozen ice isn't nearly as bad.

Couple that with lack of winter tyres and little experience if cold weather driving and you've a recipe for problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lugnaquilla tomorrow morning for a hike could be fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Happygosad23

You might want to actually zoom in on the chart itself (by clicking it) and you'll see nowhere near 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) over more than half of Ulster or Connacht. Not even on the highest ground. Look here

It was the previous run, the current one at the time of discussion. The pic was supplied you clearly seen that, waited for the new run then posted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Still falling here - this is the most snow we've had so far. Soft and fluffy.

South Sligo 90m asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Not a flake here in Firhouse Dublin 24 near the Dublin mountains.
    Gutted, hoping for something tonight, that the ICON snow will materialise!
    Delighted for the Corkonians though, and others who are enjoying snow they rarely have.....
    Boards will be at breakdown if we do get something in Dublin!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Its been white out in Castlebar since around 23.00 last night, snow still falling this morning as well with light flurries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I hope the Dubs get to see some snow tomorrow night. I already predict that there will be, on average, about 20 posts per snowflake witnessed.

Using the over exaggerated words of pelting, blizzards and flurry. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lucreto wrote: »
    You would think we were living in a different country.

Only got 2 instances of snow on the breeze yesterday and a frosty morning today.

Just to clarify that most places don't have lying snow on roads or anything like that this morning. Its mostly a layer on cars and on grass. Loads of snow fell but most (by some distance) melted. Those pictures from Letterkenny are the real deal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It was the previous run, the current one at the time of discussion. The pic was supplied you clearly seen that, waited for the new run then posted that.

With regard to your username, I think I missed the happy phase.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Villain wrote: »
    Lugnaquilla tomorrow morning for a hike could be fun :D

No fun for rescue services ;)

There's not much difference between your chart and the latest run. 4 inches on mountains, much less on lowest levels.

Your chart
    https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2018021112/northern-ireland/snow-depth/20180213-0600z.html

Latest run
    https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2018021200/northern-ireland/snow-depth/20180213-0600z.html

PS Thanks for the abusive pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

PS Thanks for the abusive pm.

There’s a report function for that

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Doneraile, north cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Errigal mountain Co donegal 11/02/18
    IMAG10780_zpsc79iuain.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Snowing again in East Galway
    Ydays snow didn't melt
    I'm sure it will when tonights rain comes
    Ground will be saturated again
    Sick of it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Nice white morning in Drogheda. Very light flurry just now.

vicwatson wrote: »
    There’s a report function for that

Done

Latest snow depths:

Ballypatrick Forest (156 m): 10 cm
    Knock Airport (200 m): 5 cm
    Glennane (161 m): 5 cm
    Castlederg (51 m): 5 cm
    Thomastown (72 m): 5 cm

The others (Portglenone, Magilligan, Aldergrove) reporting no lying snow. Lough Fea (225 m) hasn't been reporting since yesterday but most likely deeper than Ballypatrick Forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Interesting to see the back edge snow showing on some models for tomorrow AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Not a flake here in Firhouse Dublin 24 near the Dublin mountains.
    Gutted, hoping for something tonight, that the ICON snow will materialise!
    Delighted for the Corkonians though, and others who are enjoying snow they rarely have.....
    Boards will be at breakdown if we do get something in Dublin!!!!!

You mightn’t be so gutted tomorrow morning as the latest bbc news 24 has tonight’s rain turning to snow in the east
    Nearly all snow in the Dublin area
    Info from meteogroup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    Snowing again in East Galway
    Ydays snow didn't melt
    I'm sure it will when tonights rain comes
    Ground will be saturated again
    Sick of it !

I like snow, but even i'm getting sick of the wet ground, alot of matches/training sessions cancelled since Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It's been such an awkward winter. At least in 2009 and 2010 we were snowed in good and proper for 4 weeks each year and could enjoy it, and it was over holiday time, some of it, so not much lost earnings. This year every 3rd day for feels like ages the roads are dangerous, sometimes impassable, and this can be stressful, wondering if loved ones made it off the hills, if the roads further out have been gritted (which surprisingly is not regular) and then hoping they get home safely. I wish it would just get on with it and then finish up and let spring come. This has been one of our colder, snowier winters (NW 100 metres elevation) and it's a bit awkward to tell the truth. Sorry to snow bunnies for my giving out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Done

Thanks both accounts have been flagged to remove access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Hopefully the roads are okay in the morning. Sick of it myself at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement