Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

davemc6832 wrote: »
    Snow day in Letterkenny. Schools closed. Yuss! Heavy snow at the minute.

Except Illistrin where my somewhat bitter wife works:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A good covering here this morning though beginning to melt on exposed roofs. Showers are still of snow when they pass but have a sloppier look than those of yester.

New Moon

m17 wrote: »
    Corofin Co Galway this morning at 7.05am IMAG3002_zpsi8gdvt9f.jpg

Near Rafterys?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

I like snow, but even i'm getting sick of the wet ground, alot of matches/training sessions cancelled since Christmas.

VERY heavy snow here now again
    Nothing in oranmore
    Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick City

Icy roads. A few skids

Blue skies and 2C

• Advertisement

How the BEEB is looking at 3am tonight:

image.png

Potential squall like feature as front moves through?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

I don’t think the precipitation will last long enough to stick no matter how heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

pad199207 wrote: »
    I don’t think the precipitation will last long enough to stick no matter how heavy

Depends how cold it is more so than how heavy it is, and how fast moving it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

pad199207 wrote: »

You really fed up of getting excited at the potential and then it doesn’t happen .......

Glass half full Pad as you never know

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm hoping that the transition to snow happens very quick, If it only turns to snow in the last 30 minutes then it's probably too late. I'd like to see it turning to snow within half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

30 minutes of heavy snow can really accumulate!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

vicwatson wrote: »
    No fun for rescue services ;)

Well I would hope people have the ability and equipment if they head up.

It will be interesting to see what snow depths I see up there, potential for a nice bit based on models

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Euro4 latest update for 9am tomorrow
    18021309_1206.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

A few images from South Sligo this morning.

2iggi37.jpg

ribvyc.jpg

35hfgbn.jpg

Co Tyrone

[IMG][/img]616_A2624_C6_A8_4_C0_D_B311_F82_E3_D716_E18.jpg upload image lossless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Errigal mountain Co donegal 11/02/18IMAG10781_zpsypzunxie.jpg

That road looks very dodgy Strawberry Milkshake -

Pretzill wrote: »
    That road looks very dodgy Strawberry Milkshake -

Hubby sent me the photo. That was on main road at bottom of mountain. He said the car in the photo was having serious problems.

Up he went to top of mountain in his L200, signed in and then sent home again because of the weather.

That shot of the Mourne Mountains is stunning! Great to see the snowy photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Near Rafterys?

Thats coming up to Keanes shop (now closed) heading towards the r347. He`s just ater passing Rafterys in the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some great snow pictures! Looks like this has been already a golden winter for snow across much of Northern Ireland and parts of the north-west. These areas look most likely to see another possibly significant top up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shaneward2004

Carrickmacross Monaghan 9am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I noticed that Met Éireann updated their weather advisory.

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    A spell of wet and windy weather, with thundery downpours, will sweep eastwards over the country during Monday evening and night. Gusts between 90 and 110km/h will occur in Atlantic, southern and later eastern coastal fringes for a time. Some accumulations of snow are possible during the period also.

Issued:Monday 12 February 2018 11:00
    Valid:Monday 12 February 2018 18:00 to Tuesday 13 February 2018 06:00

Visible satellite animation for this morning. You can clearly see the lying snow retreating back northwards as temperatures rise. (may take a while to load)

anim.gif

From Sat.24

Like to full size if image is too small.

https://imgur.com/a/dzyVj

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS 06z ensemble for Dublin is mouthwatering :pac:. Again, too good to be true.

XzNf7tI.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Am quite optimistic re. tonight. Not thinking there will be something amazing or anything, but the intensity of the precip should bring something white from the sky in many parts of the country tonight. Hopefully we'll still have some precip when the wind turns westerly. Hope I'm not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Fingers crossed for you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

patneve2 wrote: »
    Am quite optimistic re. tonight. Not thinking there will be something amazing or anything, but the intensity of the precip should bring something white from the sky in many parts of the country tonight. Hopefully we'll still have some precip when the wind turns westerly. Hope I'm not wrong!

I must say I'm not too optimistic for the populated lowlands of Dublin, the spectre of modification....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Cookstown Co Tyrone 12/02/18
    IMAG10021_zpsrwga03tm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No mention of snow in the Dublin TAF up to midday tomorrow. Moderate rain from midnight to 6 am, with a slight chance of sleet/small hail showers from 3 - 6 am.

Dublin seems to be in a snow shadow in most of the models too, with snow mostly confined to higher ground. Relying on a deep undercutting wedge of cold backedge air to convert rain to snow, which may or may not happen. In any case, any snow is likely to be sloppy at low levels.

TAF COR EIDW 121125Z 1212/1312 22013KT 9999 FEW015
    BECMG 1213/1216 20015KT
    BECMG 1218/1221 18018G28KT
    TEMPO 1300/1306 5000 RA BKN012
    PROB30 TEMPO 1303/1306 3000 SHRASNGS BKN009 BKN018CB
    BECMG 1303/1305 31015G25KT
    BECMG 1305/1308 28017G27KT=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement