Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Hopefully I’m just at the right height and side of Dublin this time ...... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Visible satellite animation for this morning. You can clearly see the lying snow retreating back northwards as temperatures rise. (may take a while to load)

anim.gif

From Sat.24

Can anybody tell me if they are seeing the full sized image or just a tiny gif of this animation I posted because the latter is showing up for me, despite posting the proper sized link.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Can anybody tell me if they are seeing the full sized image or just a tiny gif of this animation I posted because the latter is showing up for me, despite posting the proper sized link.

Full sized image.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

P2124497b.jpg

P2124496b.jpg

Tipp, Lough Derg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Thumbnail image (Firefox browser).

• Advertisement

jArgHA wrote: »
    Thumbnail image (Firefox browser).

Thanks, looks very small on 'Edge' too: :rolleyes:

rl0iYUt.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Thanks, looks very small on 'Edge' too: :rolleyes:

I'm using Google Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

So many possibilities tonight I think it will be down to the wire . Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Touch and go for overnight. Key word is marginal. GFS and HIRLAM are pretty positive, the rest not so much for the east. The midlands, north and northwest have a high risk of snow at some stage overnight.

hirlamuk-1-22-0.png?12-10

It's so marginal it will be a "nowcast" situation...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tonight looks interesting but i'm not as confident about lying snow tonight as I was during the last frontal system which brought us snow.

The difference this time is we will have a relatively mild start with rain to begin with, the last time we had a slight easterly and it started off as dry snow and ended with wet snow, so it was snow all the way. There is likely to be much more precipitation this time around so if we do get lucky, lying snow could be more significant.

I think this could be like the December event, rain and sleet for majority of greater Dublin and snow for the midlands, Northern Ireland and north-west.

I think the key for lying snow this time around will be how quickly it will change to snow, how heavy it falls, how cold it gets and how cold it stays after the front clears. It would be really nice for the greater Dublin region to wake up in the morning to a proper fall of snow (5+cm) not just a temporary dusting. Tonight could be the last roll of the dice for February so fingers crossed we wake up to a very pleasant surprise by the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

P2124477c.jpg

P2124479c.jpg

P2124495b.jpg

P2124494b.jpg

Lough Derg, Tipp.

'Arpege' 06z

overview_020.jpg?2018021206

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anyone still have a snow cover? Was a good cover here this morning still however nearly completely melted now bar a few splotches in the grass. Currently 6.4c. West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Anyone still have a snow cover? Was a good cover here this morning still however nearly completely melted now bar a few splotches in the grass. Currently 6.4c. West Clare.

Nearly all melted here except places in the shade near Mallow though plenty on the surrounding hills and higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Euro4

18021306_2_1206.gif

18021306_2_1206.gif

18021306_2_1206.gif

As knife edge as it gets. Could be all rain or a short lived dumping of snow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Chris Falkes on the BBC lunchtime news just now has the front all snow on the coast at 3am from Dublin down to Wexford

f1b27fdf389dcdf5d2b9417b0377f29c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Chris Falkes on the BBC lunchtime news just now has the front all snow on the coast at 3am from Dublin down to Wexford

Curious as to your opinion on Knockananna tonight George.

heffoo wrote: »
    Chris Falkes on the BBC lunchtime news just now has the front all snow on the coast at 3am from Dublin down to Wexford.

Curious as to your opinion on Knockananna tonight George.

Pretty sure knockananna will see snow overnight,potentially a lot because it has height,it’s well inland and is in near proximity to even higher ground and the wind will be northwest,I’m even expecting a possible short spell of it here on the coast with the wind in the northwest straight down off the mountains if you follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

heffoo wrote: »

Pretty sure knockananna will see snow overnight,potentially a lot because it has height,it’s well inland and is in near proximity to even higher ground and the wind will be northwest,I’m even expecting a possible short spell of it here on the coast with the wind in the northwest straight down off the mountains if you follow?

Damn cold this morning I tell you and the heating in the jeep broke yesterday typical when you need it. Hopefully we get a nice fall the village is beautiful with the thatched cottages in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RTE forecast after the lunchtime news going more with cold rain than snow. Thunder throughout Munster tonight. Temps of below zero to a max of 2c tonight but they were very reticent to mention snow except for high ground.

• Advertisement

Someone fix the quote tags before you reply pleaseeeeeeeee!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Someone fix the quote tags before you reply pleaseeeeeeeee!

Fixed my one but go and thank the post now as it loses its thanks when you do a big edit :p

Fixed my one but go and thank the post now as it loses its thanks when you do a big edit :p

It doesn't actually, once you refresh the page it comes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

UK Met warning for Northern Ireland sounds messy too:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ni&date=2018-02-13&regionType=area
    Between 02:00 Tue 13th and 10:00 Tue 13th

A band of heavy rain will turn to snow, mainly on high ground, as it spreads eastwards early on Tuesday morning. Snow may fall to low levels in places before it clears during the morning. Temperatures will fall quickly as rain and snow clear, allowing ice to form on untreated surfaces.

UK Met video forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland

Air temperatures will fall to freezing or below later tonight and early tomorrow morning, with widespread frost and ice on untreated surfaces. Scattered wintry showers also, these mainly in west Ulster, Connacht and west Munster.

Issued:

Monday 12 February 2018 14:00

Valid:

Tuesday 13 February 2018 03:00 to Tuesday 13 February 2018 10:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I get mixed up sometimes.
    Is Clare the Midwest ?
    Therefore would Clare Kerry and Limerick be west Munster.

Excuse my ignorance lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tramore1974

Midwest
    The region comprises the territory of Limerick city and the counties of Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Midwest
    The region comprises the territory of Limerick city and the counties of Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.

What about Midwest Radio up in Mayo/Roscommon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My sister sent this from Cloonacool in Sligo this morning, not jealous!

441473.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

f1b27fdf389dcdf5d2b9417b0377f29c.jpg

That looks like rain between Wicklow and Louth to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement