Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That doesnt mean its not high ground most at risk, which it is. The BBC arent too bothered about fine detail south of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That doesnt mean its not high ground most at risk, which it is. The BBC arent too bothered about fine detail south of the border.
    Even so there usually very accurate for the south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb I like the sharp edge at the junction between the edge of the front and the showers to the NW - very well defined. This is also apparent when looking at the 850hpa temp charts for midnight. Hopefully that colder air will filter through while we still have moderate ppn. A -5 at 850hpa coupled with decent thicknesses and moderate to heavy precip should be enough for us to see some snow falling. Will be an interesting nowcast even though it will be tough to see lying snow in the usual spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie is looking rather poor, pretty much all rain south of Meath, I'm hoping that at 925M in Wicklow it will be mostly Snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Villain wrote: »
    Harmonie is looking rather poor, pretty much all rain south of Meath, I'm hoping that at 925M in Wicklow it will be mostly Snow!

Heavy showers of rain here in Wexford within the last hour. The nice,dry cold ground is well and truly soaked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even so there usually very accurate for the south

Fair enough, but my point is for those expressing glee about the snow graphic right down the east coast, doesn't reflect that high ground is more at risk, i.e. its not something that should be taken too much notice of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but my point is for those expressing glee about the snow graphic right down the east coast, doesn't reflect that high ground is more at risk, i.e. its not something that should be taken too much notice of.

No one expressed glee
    I just posted the image
    Too much passive aggressiveness on this forum!

Temp is dropping here near Arklow
    Peaked at 6.7c at 3 pm
    It’s now 4.6c
    That’s a 2c drop in 90 mins and it’s not even dark yet
    Quite a ways to go to be within snow parameters (dp 2c) but I’d be hopeful still for the hills and for here once the northwesterly blows the precip down off the Wicklow mtns

I’m calving at the moment so might be out at 3am
    If I am I’ll post what’s happening but if I haven’t to be,I’ll be asleep as every other night I’m up all hours so the body takes priority!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Villain wrote: »

for what it's worth, Sky News Weather showed the front staying as rain most of Leinster with only parts of Northern Ireland and Wicklow mountains in the white.

BBC's forecast is mostly rain and sleet with light snow at the end according to their website.

Gonzo wrote: »

BBC's forecast is mostly rain and sleet with light snow at the end according to their website.
    You’ll note though that the image oneric posted from their website and the photo I posted from their tv forecast are different
    The latter showed snow from south Dublin to east Wexford

Now this is with the new meteogroup data
    Often the BBC when it was using the met office data only showed snow in the part of Wicklow Lugnaquilla is located

But do you know what my feeling is,we will look back at this thread in a few weeks time laughing at what scraps we called snow from some proper snow that won’t disappear in the day time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Gonzo wrote: »
    for what it's worth, Sky News Weather showed the front staying as rain most of Leinster with only parts of Northern Ireland and Wicklow mountains in the white.

Astonishing we are forced to pay so much for RTE and yet usually have to get meaningful and relevant information from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

cnocbui wrote: »
    Astonishing we are forced to pay so much for RTE and yet usually have to get meaningful and relevant information from elsewhere.

Met Eireann give very accurate forecasts on rte but we live in a very small geographical area so the BBC are bound to give information relevant to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Originally posted in wrong thread :o

Pressure trend over the last 24hrs here. Falling at a 2.13 hPa/ph rate currently.

pppp.png

New Moon

Visible sat taken an hour ago. Well defined frontal feature:

2cr6fSO.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temperatures falling sharply in south Laois. Currently 3.7c with a dewpoint of 0.9c. Peaked at 6.1c after 2pm this afternoon. Clear sky.

Danno wrote: »
    Temperatures falling sharply in south Laois. Currently 3.7c with a dewpoint of 0.9c. Peaked at 6.1c after 2pm this afternoon. Clear sky.

Current conditions here near Arklow just now as attached

Ah feck it the photo's are sideways :O
    Anyway they show 3.2c air
    Dp 1.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Supercell wrote: »
    My sister sent this from Cloonacool in Sligo this morning, not jealous[/]

Admit it you're rotten jealous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Euro 4 just out for 9am
    18021309_1212.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

But do you know what my feeling is,we will look back at this thread in a few weeks time laughing at what scraps we called snow from some proper snow that won’t disappear in the day time :D

So you've lost your aversion to snow after the mid point of February now;)

Rougies wrote: »
    UK Met warning for Northern Ireland sounds messy too:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ni&date=2018-02-13&regionType=area

UK Met video forecast

It will be very interesting to see tomorrows 10 day outlook from them. The guy who presents it goes into great detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temps falling still. 3.4c now however dewpoint is stubbornly holding around 1c.

A few strikes off the SW coast also - could be a fun evening ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I know that you're probably pissed off of seeing snow pictures but here's some more I've gathered :P.

Lough Crew Cairns, Meath

8WviaMgg.png

Who said you could post my pic aye? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Who said you could post my pic aye? ;)

Sorry Ian :P:P, amazing picture by the way. Best one I've seen.

Nonsense. You can never have enough snow pictures. Keep them coming. It just reminds me again how picturesque a lot of our countryside is. Thanks to all for uploading their pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Derry 12/02/18
    IMAG10785_zpsllgbqccu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Don't we have a weather pictures forum, where those with lots of data and time can post them to their hearts' content? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Danno wrote: »
    Where is this? Looks stunning!

It's in Cavan town, you can see Cavan Cathedral just in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Anyone still have a snow cover? Was a good cover here this morning still however nearly completely melted now bar a few splotches in the grass. Currently 6.4c. West Clare.

Still some snow in the shade and about 2inches at the back of the hedges here.
    Coming home about an hour ago and some places had barely a trace of snow and then some sheltered north facing hills and lawns are still almost completely covered.
    441498.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just watching BBC forecast after the news and their graphics had snow all over the country! Clearly not right

• Advertisement

Lightning flashing away here. Seems to be coming from the west.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement