Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danno wrote: »
    Interesting passage of the front here, freezing rain, then hail, then sleet. South Laois

That cold air is definitely cutting into the south quicker than it is further north. Still 3.0c here with just a light wind.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Temperature starting to fall rapidly in north east Kilkenny.

Gone from 5.5C to 3.9C in a few minutes.

Danno wrote: »
    Snowing and sticking in South Laois. 0.8c

We will have it soon here then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Now it’s turning very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

GFS has some brief snow for Dublin/Kildare for around 3am, and Apegge (don't know how to spell it right -- and I don't care) has none.

Will be interesting to see which one was closer to the mark come morn.

New Moon

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Temperature starting to fall rapidly in north east Kilkenny.

Gone from 5.5C to 3.9C in a few minutes.

2.3C now and falling nicely before the main part of the front.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still very windy here and feeling relatively mild. Very little rain so far tonight, the ground is only barely wet. Gonna call it a night on this one I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

441548.jpg

South Laois. Accumulating beginning on grass and cars at 1.20am.

Currently 0.6c with dewpoint of -0.4c.

Interesting precip, very fine white drizzle descending like a fog from the sky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I’m tucked up in the bed but can get an ice like substance banging off the window , I’m going to say hail , temps taking a sudden plunge now ,

Image courtesy of www.ospreyweather.com

441549.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

John.Icy wrote: »
    No worry at all of falling snow in Dublin anyway as long as there's no precipitation.

Didn't one of the hi res models have Dublin in a very low precip bubble yesterday? Good call, though with the direction the front has been approaching so far you would expect the Wicklow mountains to keep Dublin mostly dry.

A few runs from various high res models alluded to the Wicklow mountain precip shadow over Dublin alright. Quite concerning, especially when the main generator of precip is from southerly winds clashing with the NWerlys.

• Advertisement

Hail and freezing rain here now. Temps plummeting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Don’t think I’ve witnessed such a sharp drop in temps before .

441550.png

441551.png

Image courtesy of www.osperyweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Hopefully the Dublin rain shadow will disappear when the wind turns more to the WSW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temps

temp.png

Winds

windd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I mentioned the temperature gradient with this front is super sharp. Rain - snow in minutes in the right locations.

Snowing on the hills of North Kilkenny.

Cars and grass covered here now in an instant. Torrential

This is the first time I think I’ve witnessed this phenomenon

I can honestly say now that the place is white. About 15 mins ago it was 6c and blowing a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

pad199207 wrote: »

I can honestly say now that the place is white. About 15 mins ago it was 6c and blowing a gale.

Unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

With the rate and direction the cold air is moving - up to at least Pad in Naas, not inconceivable that parts of Dublin see snow from the get go if this pesky shadow effect clears off - falling onto dry ground.

Oh to be home in S.Kildare where I'm sure there's a covering by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I mentioned the temperature gradient with this front is super sharp. Rain - snow in minutes in the right locations.

It will need to be for any snow in the SE. Temps rose tonight here to 6c from half that earlier in the evening with heavy rain falls since about 11pm.

John.Icy wrote: »
    With the rate and direction the cold air is moving - up to at least Pad in Naas, not inconceivable that parts of Dublin see snow from the get go if this pesky shadow effect clears off - falling onto dry ground.

Oh to be home in S.Kildare where I'm sure there's a covering by now.

Wind direction will be shifting imminently so the shadow will go. We will need some intensity maintained though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

In Newbridge. Can confirm a very wet covering and continuing to snow quite heavily

Shadow broken now.

All still very slushy but a covering none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I’m tucked up in the bed but can get an ice like substance banging off the window , I’m going to say hail , temps taking a sudden plunge now ,

Exactly the same here, I'd already lay down for the night when I heard hail against the window, nothing to see when I got up to have a look out though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

pad199207 wrote: »

I once saw that in the space of 20-25 minutes. To see that in 15 minutes must be incredible.

Started to rain here in North Dub. The sharp temp drop has not reached us yet though I can feel it getting colder.

Not ruling out some disruption here in the morning...

Back of the front dying out rapidly

• Advertisement

Turning to snow here fast. North Dub, ground barely wet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement