Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Strange, MET.ie reports 0c and the METAR reports 1c.

3:30 is reporting the same, sleet and 1c.

AFIAK the met.ie temp report wouldn't be for exactly 03:00, but some short time before. Probably the reason for the discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Snowing now again in West Clare. Certainly haven't got this much snow in a long time! (Last time was yesterday!)

2.2c but dropping fast.

Update 03:47: 1.7c now, but no intensity so melting upon impact except on cars. Pity there's no intensity.

Stopped snowing, bottomed out at 1.2c. Impressive considering it started raining at 3.9c. There's a cover on cars and grass but not roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Snowing hard after hours of raining hard. Sticking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Anyone else feel their lives are somewhat consumed by weather threads recently? I've had almost no snow in Swords so far this winter but defo feels like the most active winter since 2010. Roll on the easterlies.... the fat lady ain't finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Small dusting here, looks like something more interesting on the way on the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

North Kildare, got up at 05:30. Not a hint that there was any snow at all during the night and with the temperature hovering around the 2c mark, anything that might have fallen and stuck has obviously melted here. If I can't even wake to a blanket when it's still complete darkness, then I can't say that I can be impressed in any way. Then again, the forecast does seem to go as planned, in general.

Looks like I'll meet that snow shower on the way into Galway city. Meanwhile, Scotland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

A light covering of new snow here in Tara, Meath. We still had some patches from Sunday’s snow on the ground last night but they were washed away overnight. Surprised to wake up to more snow again but don’t think it’s freezing hard yet so hopefully the roads around here are better than yesterday morning.

Heavy heavy snow in Galway city , everything getting plastered.
    Eased off now, awful pity the showers are short-loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Heavy heavy snow in Galway city , everything getting plastered.
    Eased off now, awful pity the showers are short-loved.

Same shower just arrived in Loughrea, everything covered in just a few minutes. 3rd morning in a row with a fresh cover of snow here.

• Advertisement

A dusting overnight in Blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

At 2 am, just after the front has passed through, Casement reported the weather as synop code 88, which is defined as the following mouthful:
    Moderate or heavy shower(s) of snow pellets or small hail, with or without rain or rain and snow mixed

So snow pellets/graupel.

At 3 am both Casement and Dublin Airport reported code 68, which is
    light rain or drizzle and snow

Dublin's temperature and dewpoint plummeted from 6.0 and 3.1 at 2 am to 0.3 and 0.0 at 3 am, respectively. They both rose again to 1.3 and 0.9 after at 4 am, with light rain. 2 mm fell from 1800-0600.

It was a strange kind of front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy snow shower now near Mallow and sticking. This is becoming the norm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was expecting everything to be like glass this morning but all I got was a slight dusting of snow on my windscreen.

Pity the lack of snow in Naas this year (of far) but can't really expect much from a northwesterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A patchy 1-cm covering of dry snow covering more than half the ground being reported at Knock at 6 and 7 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We have to bare in mind those in the eastern half of the country so far this winter are not experiencing the winter weather in the other half. There has been more snowfall than any year since 2010 and no individual station record is going to fully encapsulate local conditions that have occurred on a widespread scale through the southwest, west and northwest of the country.

It's been an incredible winter for some parts of Ireland so far.

All that needs to happen now is the circle completed and the east in the firing line. It just might happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Before all the snow melts a big thanks Kermit de frog for another brilliant forum and to you guys for all the great pics and updates thanks again yours m17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Cork City : +2°C with rain and a dash of sleet. A very unpleasant morning for walking to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Cork City : +2°C with rain and a dash of sleet. A very unpleasant morning for walking to work.

Cork City : +2°C with sunshine. A very pleasant morning for walking to work.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Beautiful sunrise here in castlebar with clear blue skies,icy surfaces and snow capped mountains in the background. Excellent visibility.love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Anyone else feel their lives are somewhat consumed by weather threads recently? I've had almost no snow in Swords so far this winter but defo feels like the most active winter since 2010. Roll on the easterlies.... the fat lady ain't finished yet.
    I agree. And I also hope that rotund lady you speak off has saved her best for winter's encore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We have to bare in mind those in the eastern half of the country so far this winter are not experiencing the winter weather in the other half. There has been more snowfall than any year since 2010 and no individual station record is going to fully encapsulate local conditions that have occurred on a widespread scale through the southwest, west and northwest of the country.

It's been an incredible winter for some parts of Ireland so far.

All that needs to happen now is the circle completed and the east in the firing line. It just might happen ;)

Kermit, I think all the reports of falling snow, followed by the photos posted of rural idylls covered in snow, are a little misleading. Subject to correction but I think very few people in urban or suburban Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford have actually had snow settling on roads and, where it has settled, not then melting within an hour. Certainly in my part of the world (Cork city suburb at 78m) I've had a lot of falling snow, with one or two white out periods of 20 mins, but I haven't seen any snow settle at all on roads, even briefly. The high point of settling snow I have had is that on 3 of the last 5 mornings there has been a (transparent) layer of snow on my car and a little dusting on my garden - but with long grass the colour of my garden was still green. The fact gardens around here are waterlogged has made settling on grass even harder than normal. I recall one overnight a few weeks back where suburban Dublin had snow settling on roads etc - albeit it melted overnight. Accordingly east coast boardsies shouldn't think you are missing out on much. I suspect most of you have still done better than me for snow so far this winter but happily I think we have all seen something at this stage.

I appreciate btw that in more rural areas and further north it has been a different story.

Of course this morning's charts suggest for east coast boardsies that redemption is around the corner anyway! GEM, ECM and GFS all suggesting the weekend after next could be a time of lots of snowmen and snow ball fights. On an IMBY basis, if the long awaited easterly does happen, I hope we can get snow out of it too down here. We usually manage one big snowfall out of an easterly (because the unusual shape of the south coast means that Cork City actually has nothing to its east / southeast but sea). I appreciate the west coast may be dry but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cold and icy this morning, temps rose above 2c for a while after 4am and snow melted away. There was also some rain/sleet around 6am too. Mostly clear and a stern westerly-northwesterly wind that'd skin you.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

We've had a few days of lying snow in recent times here just outside Limerick, haven't seen snow in a few years to be honest...was it the real powdery stuff..not really but by God did I enjoy it ;).long time lurker here and rarely post. By the way..where is Graces7 this year does anybody know????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

budweiser6 wrote: »
    We've had a few days of lying snow in recent times here just outside Limerick, haven't seen snow in a few years to be honest...was it the real powdery stuff..not really but by God did I enjoy it ;).long time lurker here and rarely post. By the way..where is Graces7 this year does anybody know????

I have been wondering the same thing, not a pip in quite some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Not a smell snow in Letterkenny this morning. Could've sworn I saw a few Dubs shovelling it into the back of a transit van last night.

.... I'm a Dub. I'm allowed say that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very heavy snow currently in Castlebar, DP at -2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A beautiful blizzard here in Castlebar .huge snowflakes. Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Xenji wrote:
    Very heavy snow currently in Castlebar, DP at -2C.

A beautiful blizzard here in Castlebar .huge snowflakes. Nice one

Roger that. Proper sneachta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Very heavy snow in Claremorris also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement