Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

budweiser6 wrote: »
    We've had a few days of lying snow in recent times here just outside Limerick, haven't seen snow in a few years to be honest...was it the real powdery stuff..not really but by God did I enjoy it ;).long time lurker here and rarely post. By the way..where is Graces7 this year does anybody know????

Graces7 hasn't posted since April of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dry cool and bright in East Galway
    Stay away snow we don't want you anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Kilkenny snow shield up and working :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Reading through the last couple of pages, I genuinely hope that those in the east of Ireland will see some proper blizzardy snow courtesy of a 1982 or 1987 type easterly soon. I think it is more than well deserved at this stage. Me, I just want this same proposed easterly to bring some proper dry weather to us in the western half because the ground is really really saturated. Drying at this time of year is always going to be poor, but for some reason, this winter it seems especially bad, despite the fact that we have had much wetter winters even in recent years.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Speaking to the folks in Donegal last night and they were saying the same, non-stop westerlies & NW'erlies for months on end with hail nearly every day, they're well sick of it

Its been a fairly nondescript winter in Kildare so far, a couple of overnight dustings of snow that melted as soon as the sun came up is about as exciting as its been

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Reading through the last couple of pages, I genuinely hope that those in the east of Ireland will see some proper blizzardy snow soon courtesy of a 1982 or 1987 type easterly soon. I think it is more than well deserved at this stage. Me, I just want this same proposed easterly to bring some proper dry weather to us in the western half because the ground is really really saturated. Drying at this time of year is always going to be poor, but for some reason, this winter it seems especially bad, despite the fact that we have had much wetter winters even in recent years.

Again, cheers Oneiric 3 :).

It would be absolutely amazing if I could experience an event like January 1982 ever in my life though I can't complain I got to live through 2010 - one day in particular comes to my mind, 30 November 2010. What a beauty of a day!

uR4BsxO.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Graces7 hasn't posted since April of last year.

Someone is AH's claimed she was fake the other day. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Currently snowing again in West Clare, back hand of a shower though so nothing heavy. Pity really, temperatures really plummet on these showers and I doubt it would take much to settle. It's dropped by 2.7c in that excuse of a shower alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pilly wrote: »

Wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, not sure what it's to do with the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pilly wrote: »

Maybe she has moved to Nepal or somewhere. The higher the better was her motto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Anyone know what it's like in or around Geevagh, Sligo? Driving there tomorrow!
    Mountainy man, are you anywhere near there?
    Appreciate an update if you are! Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I managed to witness about 20 minutes of snowfall last night, it stuck really fast. I was watching it for 5 minutes when it then suddenly turned back to sleet then rain and was washed away by the time I woke up.

I think just about everyone has had enough of the current north-westerlies we've had since early November. Many in the west are really hoping for a dry spell and most of us in the east are craving some proper snow that won't melt after an hour. The projected easterly still has a bit of a way's to go before certain, it really has to happen around 23 February before it's too late. Easterlies in March are more of an annoyance than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nasty, squally hail shower ongoing in Galway city
    Bad edge turning to sleety/rain/wet snow mix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »

I think just about everyone has had enough of the current north-westerlies we've had since early November. Many in the west are really hoping for a dry spell and most of us in the east are craving some proper snow that won't melt after an hour. The projected easterly still has a bit of a way's to go before certain, it really has to happen around 23 February before it's too late. Easterlies in March are more of an annoyance than anything else.

Ah i’ll welcome the easterly up until the last day of February or even first couple of days of March. I certainly don’t want it St Patrick’s day onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Anyone know what it's like in or around Geevagh, Sligo? Driving there tomorrow!
    Mountainy man, are you anywhere near there?
    Appreciate an update if you are! Thanks

All roads are now clear apart from some patches in shade on the higher local roads and they might be clear now, there has been a really good melt since I was first out at 9am and returned at 12.30. Just watch out for the potholes :pac:
    MM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Plenty of snow in the East today, you just have to go to it :D

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/963408083090395138

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bit of a hail/graupel shower Roscrea (4.3/D 0.1C)

Seven Worlds will Collide

km79 wrote: »
    Dry cool and bright in East Galway
    Stay away snow we don't want you anymore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    Ah i’ll welcome the easterly up until the last day of February or even first couple of days of March. I certainly don’t want it St Patrick’s day onwards.

The first few days of March could still potentially be good but after that, exceptional events with a textbook, prolonged Siberian flow would be required to deliver something decent after the first week of March. March easterlies usually result in night time snow and sunrise super speed thaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not so much as a flake of snow on Mt. Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Comparison satellite image of yesterday (left) and today (right).

g1k0IDc.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sorry to ask a stupid question but should you not be giving credit to the owner or posting a link to the original?

Hit the report button if you have an issue ,

Yesterdays reporting was dealt with although we don't reply back to each report

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Bit late....2 pictures of the snow at home yest morning....kilmovee co mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

It`s actually Slieve Foy on the Louth side of Carlingford Lough..... not Co. Down

credit apparently to Evan Doherty https://twitter.com/evndoherty?lang=en

Gonzo wrote: »

I think just about everyone has had enough of the current north-westerlies we've had since early November. Many in the west are really hoping for a dry spell

Its been appalling tbh. I may be wrong about the dates, but apparently in some areas of the west the last two dry days in a row were the 24th & 25th of July. Has anywhere in the country got, say, 5 dry days in a row since last summer?

Its been appalling tbh. I may be wrong about the dates, but apparently in some areas of the west the last two dry days in a row were the 24th & 25th of July. Has anywhere in the country got, say, 5 dry days in a row since last summer?

The last time I did here at Grange, D13, was 1st-6th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Same down here in cork, ground is drenched and any chance it has to dry (it was very sunny 2 days ago but then the storm came and soaked everything again). Grass and parks are all mud, drains are pretty much full. Need a good few dry days now to dry it out. Can't walk in my garden!

No !
    2 possibly 3
    But I honestly don't think we have had a 72 hour period without rain
    And 2 days has happened only a handful of times
    The ground is saturated

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement