Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping & Hiking

Options
  • 09-02-2018 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I’m looking for somewhere to wild camp that there’s also a hike nearby - ideally somewhere not too far from Dublin.

We’d intended on the Mourne Mountains, but unfortunately we aren’t going to make it there early enough to set up camp and do a hike too.

Just as a side note, this would be our first time wild camping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

for me it comes down to whether you want to be near water, light a fire etc. or are happy camping above the forest line. The Wicklow mountains have options for both and then it just depends on whether you have a car or you depend on public transport. Glendalough is a good spot to do circular hikes and just camp anywhere above the treeline, otherwise look at the Wicklow way route and pick a section of it. if you don't have a car a way to be a bit more flexible is go to Greystones on the Dart and pick up a cab to drop you somewhere on the WW and you can walk back to Enniskerry to get a bus.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I was looking at getting the St. Kevins bus into Annamoe/R'wood/Laragh, popping off where you like or on into Glendalough, return same way, back to Dublin as opposed to parking a car overnight or two and worrying about which window they "put in".
    Then again, parking in Laragh I would have thought was safe enough, or Donard.

Planet X wrote: »
    I was looking at getting the St. Kevins bus into Annamoe/R'wood/Laragh, popping off where you like or on into Glendalough, return same way, back to Dublin as opposed to parking a car overnight or two and worrying about which window they "put in".
    Then again, parking in Laragh I would have thought was safe enough, or Donard.

you can park in laragh, ive parked in the glendalough visitors centre car park, that is safe, just tell someone in the centre you are leaving it there in case they were worried.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Is it permitted to park overnight in the Laragh / Brockagh Centre, assuming at your own risk. Don't mind paying the fiver at all.

Planet X wrote: »
    Is it permitted to park overnight in the Laragh / Brockagh Centre, assuming at your own risk. Don't mind paying the fiver at all.

I never parked there overnight, I'd imagine they wouldn't care "owners risk" and all that. the other place ive left the car overnight is outside the hotel in Glendalough (off season)

• Advertisement
Advertisement