Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Donnells of Gorse Hill rehomed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are these the ones that had those land league and Freeman idiots backing them? Have they or their supporters anything to say about this poor downtrodden family now? Or are we all supposed to forget their fcukarsery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I read that the amount of people defaulting ( purposefully stopped paying their mortgage) jumped massively from 2011 because of some ruling that made it illegal for banks to evict or something. Link here.

People like this benefit, and then the MC pay for them through higher mortgage rates. When can we start to eat the rich? Or our idiot rulers, whichever is plumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This country only looks after the rich and the shiftless in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

This country only looks after the rich and the shiftless in society.

Yet people keep voting for the same political organisations who continue to maintain the status quo. You get the government you deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Which part of "the country" got them a new house or delayed them being ****ed out of the old one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

but folks, you can't put a formula 1 racing car from 5th gear straight into 1st.

If people have become accustomed to a certain standard of living, then it would be a violation of human rights to have them live in a semi-detatched suburban Mr. Smith environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It really is disgusting !!

What about the 71m they owe ???

I have been out of Ireland 13 years and don't think I'll ever be able to return - car insurance will cost about 5k for me because despite being 40, im classed as a new ****ing driver, experience driving in europe doesn't count apparently.

And I won't even start about property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Great to see a good news story in AH. Fair play to them for getting back on their feet.

💣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Thanks OP, I was looking for something to boil my piss this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

no surprise they've land on their feet so quickly and maybe in a few years time their new home will be worth as much as their old one , I remember one of their daughters blaise I think giving plenty of stick to the judge at one of the court hearings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Are these the ones that had those land league and Freeman idiots backing them? Have they or their supporters anything to say about this poor downtrodden family now? Or are we all supposed to forget their fcukarsery?

I think they're extinct now Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I read that the amount of people defaulting ( purposefully stopped paying their mortgage) jumped massively from 2011 because of some ruling that made it illegal for banks to evict or something. Link here.

People like this benefit, and then the MC pay for them through higher mortgage rates. When can we start to eat the rich? Or our idiot rulers, whichever is plumper.

I don't understand. I read the link but is this some situation that existed in the past or is it currently that they can't evict people.?

They did evict the Dunnes didn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

FFS, they rack up tens of millions in debt and a few short years later can buy themselves another 7 digit mansion. I also heard about people defaulting on their mortgages when the ruling was passed to not evict defaulters. This country is a bloody joke and the fact that people get away with abusing systems that are put in place to protect the most at risk is scandalous.

I was living hand to mouth for a few years, I had to take a 35% paycut, working longer hours to keep my job but I never missed my payments. I ended up selling my house in late 2016 and lost the bones of €60k, not to mention about 5 years of my life.

I could have walked away but I was raised to understand that there are always consequences to decisions and to accept them, good or bad. I'm now turning 41, still trying to fudge the money together to build a family house and these snakes are waltzing into another Killiney mansion.

I really can't understand this country, seems if you are a good and honest citizen, you must endure scrotes who just take the piss and also foot the bill for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Nice to see they got back on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fair play to them for getting the €1.85m together in 5 months with a slightly impaired credit rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

They have been working on the house for months, they got a bargain, think they paid hundreds of thousands less than asking price.
    Presume all the offspring have their own little pads in Killiney too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

yermandan wrote: »
    Thanks OP, I was looking for something to boil my piss this afternoon

Now you have something to blast them with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Chiorino wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/o-donnells-of-gorse-hill-behind-1-85m-killiney-house-purchase-1.3385749

Only out of bankruptcy since August 2017 and they can set themselves up in this nice little (bog standard) pile a month later. I must be with the wrong bank altogether because I can't get a €500 credit card because I was late with two mortgage payments in 2014.

This is why people vote for Sinn Fein.

bouncebackability

You might attract Francie to this thread, and then it will go on for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chiorino

It hasn't pushed me quite to this level yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its really not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

RoboRat wrote: »
    FFS, they rack up tens of millions in debt and a few short years later can buy themselves another 7 digit mansion. I also heard about people defaulting on their mortgages when the ruling was passed to not evict defaulters. This country is a bloody joke and the fact that people get away with abusing systems that are put in place to protect the most at risk is scandalous.

I was living hand to mouth for a few years, I had to take a 35% paycut, working longer hours to keep my job but I never missed my payments. I ended up selling my house in late 2016 and lost the bones of €60k, not to mention about 5 years of my life.

I could have walked away but I was raised to understand that there are always consequences to decisions and to accept them, good or bad. I'm now turning 41, still trying to fudge the money together to build a family house and these snakes are waltzing into another Killiney mansion.

I really can't understand this country, seems if you are a good and honest citizen, you must endure scrotes who just take the piss and also foot the bill for them.

We are a country that doesn't treat the people who make difficult sacrifices and contribute the most to society well. An example being the value we get from our taxes being absolutely appalling.

Sadly after the last 10 years I don't see any hope for real meaningful change.

The money, or some of it, may be back but the public humiliation will last forever, and I'm not just talking about the ridiculous names they gave their children like Blaize and Blake.

I'd say they're still struggling with the reality of how few friends they really had when things got tough (relatively speaking, of course). Pretty ugly world at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I don't understand. I read the link but is this some situation that existed in the past or is it currently that they can't evict people.?

They did evict the Dunnes didn't they?

Sorry my understanding is they eventually did, due to occupany or lack thereof of the property; although maybe somebody could correct me if I'm wrong. For them it was a different situation, to what the article is referring to, but point still stands that people abuse the system because of lenient; drawn out eviction battles which ends up costing everybody in the long run.

It's one thing for somebody to run into financial difficulties who wants to pay and tries to negiotate a deal with the banks if they fall behind repayments, and another situation entirely to baton down the hatches and refuse to engage, with the taxpayer left to pick up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Sorry my understanding is they eventually did, due to occupany or lack thereof of the property; although maybe somebody could correct me if I'm wrong.

Would be good if someone could. Not because I plan to default on a mortgage or anything but I know people in genuinely bog standard houses who do not take the pee and it might be a weight off their shoulders if this is true in 2018 as the're worried about repossession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The money, or some of it, may be back but the public humiliation will last forever, and I'm not just talking about the ridiculous names they gave their children like Blaize and Blake.

I'd say they're still struggling with the reality of how few friends they really had when things got tough (relatively speaking, of course). Pretty ugly world at that level.

Nah they probably don't care as they have necks like jockeys bolloxs.
    People like these don't really do shame.

Besides the crew they would probably hang out just care that they have the dosh and the trappings.
    Also the same crew probably have their own skeletons knocking about.

I attended a function hosted by someone owing many million to NAMA.
    He couldn't care less that everyone knew he was in NAMA and for someone that claimed near bankruptcy he still could pay for functions in very expensive country house hotels.

I am not allowed discuss …

It really is disgusting !!

What about the 71m they owe ???

I have been out of Ireland 13 years and don't think I'll ever be able to return - car insurance will cost about 5k for me because despite being 40, im classed as a new ****ing driver, experience driving in europe doesn't count apparently.

And I won't even start about property.
    Bit of an exaggeration with the insurance cost I think. :)

But yeah, I found the sob stories on the Late Late entertaining back in the day. People with an income from the state of over €25-30k and they couldn't afford to pay anything off their mortgage for several years. But they could afford to keep 2 cars on the road with neither working and keeping things "normal" for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Brilliant post. Bang on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Kat1170

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Yet people keep voting for the same political organisations who continue to maintain the status quo. You get the government you deserve.

I see this sh1te every time this type of thread comes up. Who are these other wonderful political organisations you refer to ?? Our supposed savours just waiting in the wings for their chance ??

Can't be FF, FG, Labour or the Greens, they've all had their chances to £uck us over. Which of the remaining dregs do you suggest will lift us magically out of the mire. SF? Renua ? Shane Ross et al ??? Don't make me laugh.

We get the politicians we deserve ?? There isn't any choice in this country !!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't like wishing people ill will.
    But may their house have draughts they can never find the source of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

How is this possible ?

They came out of bankruptcy on 28th August 2017.

They bought a new 6,900 sq ft property with no mortgage for almost €1.86 million in September 2017.

They had owed over 70 million Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nah. People vote Sinn Fein because they like shouting 'hey baby let the freebirds fly', during the Fields of Athenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd be willing to bet that their wealthy kids bought it..
    The same kids were the ones the parents claimed to have signed gorse Hill over to... So the bank shouldn't have it....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

How did they go from being bankrupt (effectively broke) to spending 2 million on a house in just a couple of years?. If they used money that was hidden away isnt that fraudulent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No point getting angry it just uses up your energy for no good reason at all, breathe out and let it go.

There will always be people who can manipulate the system some way or another, just like the homeless according to yer man who are gaming the system.

I think they also have properties in swanky parts of London.

Look, if their creditors didn't object what can any of us do. You just have to look at the developers coming out of NAMA and building huge developments again, no shame at all, just smirks and rubbing of hands and the millions they will make again.

I just make my porridge in the morning, and am thankful my conscience is clear, and my health is ok. I put on the blinkers, because sure as heck all the cries of foul in the world will not change this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have the same issues with banks as the next person.

BUT ...with the Gorse Hill story - they were 100% in the right.
    I couldn't get at the time how the ass that is the law dawdled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is because they are surrounded by wealth they might not have access to any actual cash but their family will provide them with a property ( not buy a property ) or support them in some way so technically they will have no assets but their lifestyle will only change a little.

I remember hearing a story during the downturn of someone who went completely bankrupt fancied themselves as some sort of property investor, they came from a wealthy family and his family supported him and his wife and family while he technically appeared to be broke.

So it's not fraud as such.

I would put a bet on that a trust or some such entity owns the house they are in and they are just living in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

mariaalice wrote: »
    It is because they are surrounded by wealth they might not have access to any actual cash but their family will provide them with a property ( not buy a property ) or support them in some way so technically they will have no assets but their lifestyle will only change a little.

I remember hearing a story during the downturn of someone who went completely bankrupt fancied themselves as some sort of property investor, they came from a wealthy family and his family supported him and his wife and family while he technically appeared to be broke.

So it's not fraud as such.

If their children gave them the money then where did they get it from?

It might not be their children their own parents could still be around although that's unlikely or could be other family involved. The children could have made money themselves. I'm not saying any of it is right but the thing about being wealthy its protects people from reality.

• Advertisement

Probably money from the parents that was transferred over long enough before their bankruptcy to not have been considered as having been transferred to avoid the bankruptcy.

It is probably perfectly legal but it stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

This country is a bloody joke and the fact that people get away with abusing systems that are put in place to protect the most at risk is scandalous.

Its the people that in habit this country that make it the joke it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Owe the bank a hundred grand, it's your problem. Owe the bank a 100million, it's their problem!

So if someone becomes bankrupt should their family be prevented from supporting them financially? should their family be responsible for their debts? its
    an interesting question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I see this sh1te every time this type of thread comes up. Who are these other wonderful political organisations you refer to ?? Our supposed savours just waiting in the wings for their chance ??

Can't be FF, FG, Labour or the Greens, they've all had their chances to £uck us over. Which of the remaining dregs do you suggest will lift us magically out of the mire. SF? Renua ? Shane Ross et al ??? Don't make me laugh.

We get the politicians we deserve ?? There isn't any choice in this country !!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You missed the pds ffffing us over too, McDowell and Harney the biggest joke of them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

When we supposedly got rid of fianna fail, you felt it had hit rock bottom. Little did we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

You have to bear in mind that this is the same O’Donnell whose absolute proof there was a conspiracy against him was that he had made 95 applications to the court in relation to Gorse Hill and he had lost every single one of them.

When he dies they should donate his neck to science. We might be able to develop something stronger than titanium.

mariaalice wrote: »
    So if someone becomes bankrupt should their family be prevented from supporting them financially? should their family be responsible for their debts? its
    an interesting question.

If they were the source of the family's wealth and it was a blatant transfer of endangered assets then yes

Bankruptcy is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Does anyone know who their accountant is?

I never missed a day nor went on strike for higher pay
    For twenty years I served them best I could
    Now with a handshake and a cheque it seems so easy to forget
    Loyalty through the bad times and through good
    The owner says he’s sad to see that things have got so bad
    But the captains of industry won’t let him lose

He still drives a car and smokes his cigar
    And still he takes his family on a cruise, he’ll never lose

Well it seems to me such a cruel irony
    He’s richer now than ever he was before
    Now my cheque is spent and I can’t afford the rent
    There’s one law for the rich, one for the poor

Every day I’ve tried to salvage some of my pride
    To find some work so’s I might pay my way
    Oh but everywhere I go, the answer’s always no
    There’s no work for anyone here today, no work today

And so condemned I stand, just an ordinary man
    Like thousands beside me in the queue
    I watch my darling wife trying to make the best of life
    And God knows what the kids are going to do
    Now that we are faced with this human waste
    A generation cast aside
    And as long as I live, I never will forgive
    You’ve stripped me of my dignity and pride, you’ve stripped me bare
    You’ve stripped me bare, you’ve stripped me bare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement