Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting ahead of everybody else

Options
  • 09-02-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Myself and my partner are looking to rent together for the first time and unfortunately due to the demand that is out there, we are finding it very hard.

Due to nearly everything being managed by letting agents etc it is really just the luck of the draw on us being picked for a house when there are 5+ people looking at one property. For some reason we don't come across attractive enough on an email when the landlords are picking who they want.

I'm just wondering, can you put your name forward to be kept on record/ a waiting list in these companies so when a property comes up you are the first ones they contact?

I'm asking here instead of ringing all letting agents and asking as I don't have much coverage at work!

TIA,
    Sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I don't know about waiting lists but I definitely suspect the last letting we got we were NOT the first choice. We made sure we left a good impression and a strong interest with the property and heard back about 3weeks later, we had already viewed about 10 more properties at this stage!
    Have you ever rented before? Do you have a previous landlords reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yep, we both have been renting separately (Since leaving for college). Have both work and previous landlord references.

What I'm finding here (in Cork), is that they ask you could you have them if asked for them by the landlord, you go to a viewing, the letting agent asks you about where you work, how much your salary is and that's it. Submit your application to the landlord and then they pick from that, they haven't even asked to be given the references to weigh up the options, they just go by salary.

We both have well paid jobs for the age we are but nobody is going to pick us when a couple/family who earns slightly more than we do comes along to view it also.

Its just so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

When we first rented our current property back in 2013 there was at least twenty people looking at the house, including other families. I get that this was at the very start of the recovery so my advice may be a little out of date, but how and ever...

Landlords tend to be more concerned about gaps in rental coverage, being called out to fix things and being called by the neighbours with complaints. Ideally they want to rent to people your parents age, not you. So how do you convince them you're a good option?
    - stability: Pretend you're engaged. Buy a fake ring for the girlfriend if you want to go that far. Renting to a couple that are moving in together for the first time rings alarm bells to estate agents because they think you'll be broken up and moved out after six months. A married couple with no kids are the holy grail of apartment tenants.

- Quietness: Mention how it seems like a lovely quiet area, that that's exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps mention a friend who lives in Grand Canal Dock whose neighbours are always partying and how awful it is and how inconsiderate you think it is. Act older than you are.

- Offer to sign a longer lease: Neither the estate agent nor the landlord will actually want to do this in case it turns out you're cooking meth in the house. It does make it look like you're there for the long term though.

- Don't be afraid to be blatant. If you're in stable, permanent jobs, tell the EA that. Tell him that you're quite handy, that you'll fix anything that comes up (unless of course its structural, in which case you will notify the landlord/EA promptly). Tell them that the only time they'll hear from you is at lease renewal time.

Hope it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

JDD wrote: »
    - stability: Pretend you're engaged. Buy a fake ring for the girlfriend if you want to go that far. Renting to a couple that are moving in together for the first time rings alarm bells to estate agents because they think you'll be broken up and moved out after six months. A married couple with no kids are the holy grail of apartment tenants.

All good advice except this part.

Landlords do not want an infant coming along to crayon their walls and damage the apartment. Nor do they want to be faced with a young child in the mix if they eventually need to repossess.

Also it is not hard to spot the difference between a diamond and a glass ring.

JDD wrote: »
    When we first rented our current property back in 2013 there was at least twenty people looking at the house, including other families. I get that this was at the very start of the recovery so my advice may be a little out of date, but how and ever...

Landlords tend to be more concerned about gaps in rental coverage, being called out to fix things and being called by the neighbours with complaints. Ideally they want to rent to people your parents age, not you. So how do you convince them you're a good option?

- Quietness: Mention how it seems like a lovely quiet area, that that's exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps mention a friend who lives in Grand Canal Dock whose neighbours are always partying and how awful it is and how inconsiderate you think it is. Act older than you are.

- Offer to sign a longer lease: Neither the estate agent nor the landlord will actually want to do this in case it turns out you're cooking meth in the house. It does make it look like you're there for the long term though.

- Don't be afraid to be blatant. If you're in stable, permanent jobs, tell the EA that. Tell him that you're quite handy, that you'll fix anything that comes up (unless of course its structural, in which case you will notify the landlord/EA promptly). Tell them that the only time they'll hear from you is at lease renewal time.

Hope it works!

I have struck up a good relationship with my current landlady and she told me that her ideal tenant is an unmarried couple in their late 20s or early 30s. Steady jobs and are over the partying phase of their lives. She says they usually take very good care of a place and are the most reliable. Engaged is not necessarily a good thing as they will be wary that you may buy a house and be gone within a few years.

If you are getting a reference from a previous landlord, make sure they include that you always paid your rent on time and were professional/courteous in your dealings with them.

Be creative. We looked at a place near a big park and said we wanted it as we were both mad into running and would be training there all the time (which was actually true). Talk about the sports you play and your interests when dealing with agent and make it sound as if you are solid, reliable and not a messer who is going to wreck the place.

Also, if you know of anyone leaving a rented property (friends or friends of friends) get them to tell the landlord that they know of someone who might be interested and it might save all concerned lots of hassle.

I've lived in three rented places (first with a friend, the latter two with my now wife) in the last six years and got two after the first viewing, despite huge interest in all three, and another based on a recommendation to landlord from a friend of a friend.

Given your age and work status, you sound like a very solid tenant. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the advice,

Fian an dancinpants this is exactly what I would think If I was a landlord. I'd much prefer to have a young professional couple than a young family in my house if that was me.

Having all that written down in my references is all well and good( We do have it all included anyway). But they don't ask for them until they have offered the place to someone. This is part of the problem.
    From the outside looking in it just looks like they have gone with a couple/family who have offered more money/earn more, but haven't read their references yet! It seems like madness to me.

I'll try being more vocal while viewing and hopefully our impression improves to the letting agents. But at the end of the day its still someone going of an email who gets to choose..2 more tomorrow morning so I'll put it into practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

A friend of mine was looking to rent a house with her partner and had similar problems. I called the estate agent we bought our house through and asked her advice on how my friend could make a better impression at viewings.

She advised going to every viewing with a letter from your employer stating that you are in paid employment and stating your annual salary (employers provide these all the time), bring a copy of your previous references. Hand them to the letting agent as soon as you decide you like a place.

My friend was offered the next house she viewed. Might be coincidence but go prepared. Don't wait for them to ask for references. Someone else has already provided theirs.

Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Go prepared as above and go smartly dressed. Don't limit your search to agency rentals; if you get the 'selling yourself' bit right you're better off dealing directly with the Landlord.

Don't limit your search to agency rentals; if you get the 'selling yourself' bit right you're better off dealing directly with the Landlord.

How exactly would I go about doing this??
    Because nearly every single ad that is available on property sites, are managed by letting agents.
    Its not my choice that I'm dealing with agents over landlords.. From what they have told me the majority of the landlords live abroad so I'm never going to be dealing with them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    How exactly would I go about doing this??
    Because nearly every single ad that is available on property sites, are managed by letting agents.
    Its not my choice that I'm dealing with agents over landlords.. From what they have told me the majority of the landlords live abroad so I'm never going to be dealing with them anyway!

I advertise on Daft. Just keep an eye out for them. Most people prefer to deal with an agent (for some strange reason - fair enough if abroad etc.).

• Advertisement
Advertisement