Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match preview and thread: IRE v ITA (Sat 10th Feb 14:15) TV3, ITV & FR2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The first 50 was excellent. The last 30 minutes were disappointing but useful as it will have highlighted some problem areas Joe has to work on. Top of that list is outhalf. If Sexton gets injured we basically have no one even close to the required standard. Furlong and Henshaw will be huge losses come the Welsh and English games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Earls to 13?

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Larmour has a bit to go before he takes it off Kearney

#notready

Seriously though, he was fine for the most part but you could see that he was unsure and experienced heads around him were left a bit unsure as a result also.

That step tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

None of the 2nd half subs put their hands up for me

The game became a mess in the last 20. Hard to really judge them on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

durthacht wrote: »
    Honestly the best of them was probably Quinn Roux, and that's not good.
    Is there nothing to be said for Andrew Porter? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Murray and Sexton get a lot of Motm's my default. Earls for me.

Strange game, good scoreline but felt there were more negatives than positives particularly when injuries are taken into account. Huge fan of Leavy's but thought he disappointed in the 2nd half when he fell off the pace completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishstallion

Earls an incredible player of late. Big blow those 2 injuries are, will affect overall team confidence and momentum. Larmour looked a bit out of depth in defence but good experience. Kinda disappointed we gifted Italy 3 tries. Can only hope Ringrose will be fit come England game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

ITV's coverage has now finished at the Aviva. What is TV3's coverage like now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Earls to 13?
    Please no, it's been tried and doesn't work.
    Hopefully Henshaws injury doesn't force this

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

budhabob wrote: »
    Can't say I've been anything but impressed by Porter!

Multiple collapsed scrums on his side. A more attritional test team and he could have been in trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Unquestionably the winner today is Saracens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thought Conan played well for his half that he got, brings a different attacking option that was seen for Murray's try.

For a man his size, Toner had great hands today and contributed to some great passages of play.

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Larmour has a bit to go before he takes it off Kearney

What 1 week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Watching in a pub so couldn't hear the commentary but how did Murray get MOTM? Surely Earls or Aki deserved it. Murray played well but he was only on the pitch for 50 minutes!!

bilston wrote: »
    Watching in a pub so couldn't hear the commentary but how did Murray get MOTM? Surely Earls or Aki deserved it. Murray played well but he was only on the pitch for 50 minutes!!

Alan quinlan

Aki was our best player IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

get georgia in instead of italy. they are useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Will prob see Farrell brought into 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Only if Henshaw is out tbf

Thought Conan played well for his half that he got, brings a different attacking option that was seen for Murray's try.

For a man his size, Toner had great hands today and contributed to some great passages of play.

I wouldn't go that far.. a step to the right and a pass to the left is hardly an attacking option. He has a long way to go to upset stander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Best case scenario:

Furlong - grade 1 hammy, back in 2-3 weeks.
    Conan taken off as precaution for something minor
    I can't put a positive spin on Henshaw, he's likely out for the tournament. Hopefully Ringrose is back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Motm for me aki. But porter looks a keeper won’t be surprised to see Ryan relegated to 3rd choice, although he might start if furlong is out. Earls had a good 2nd half in particular. Think McGrath is just better than Marmion this season really. Don’t think dev did enough to hold off Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭durthacht

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is there nothing to be said for Andrew Porter? :confused:

He was a first half sub. The lad I responded referred to second half subs.

But you're right it's probably a confusing and pedantic distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Carberry won't ever oust Byrne at Leinster. The Irish management should be pushing him into the 15 jersey. His skill set fits that jersey.

Only if Henshaw is out tbf

Earls is not a 13... simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

twinytwo wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far.. a step to the right and a pass to the left is hardly an attacking option. He has a long way to go to upset stander

One of Conan's strengths is open play and the ability to pass the ball and not just crash up at the first defender like Stander does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Funny match. Put Italy to the sword and scored over 50 yet I feel oddly deflated. Schmidt got some answers regarding the fringe players.

The big winner was Andrew Porter. The loss of Furlong is massive but Porter was tireless and showed that he may be capable of getting us through a couple of weeks if Furlong is out for the next couple of matches. We need him back for Twickenham though.

Larmour showed his footwork but also looked very green and a bit nervous. He won't be starting a game this tournament and may not feature in a 23 again depending on Conway's recovery.

Carbery looked eager and was a source of ignition but the intercept was very sloppy. He should buy Earls a beer tonight.

I thought Aki was excellent for the most part also and should have been MOTM. Murray had a fine showing but a peculiar choice for a guy who played 50 minutes when there were others who had excellent 80 minute games like Aki, Earls and Porter.

Write off of a season for Henshaw if the injury is as bad as it looks. Aki and Farrell could work well in attack but the loss in defence is colossal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

They could have a garaunteed five nations+ the winner of Europe every year. That way the rich unions don't need to have a panic attack about potential lost revenue. I'd rather play the latest best also rans than Italy every year.

Best case scenario:

Furlong - grade 1 hammy, back in 2-3 weeks.
    Conan taken off as precaution for something minor
    I can't put a positive spin on Henshaw, he's likely out for the tournament. Hopefully Ringrose is back soon.
    Saying he's only out for the tournament would be a positive spin for me. I wouldn't expect to see Henshaw again this season.

Very naive of O'Gara to think Earls can slot in anywhere. We've seen him #13 and it doesn't work. Clearly a bit biased when talking about Earls.

• Advertisement

Tv3 says Henshaw dislocated shoulder, conan a knee injury and Furlong a hamstring strain

Can anybody who was watching ITV tell me what I'm used to hearing the main commentator on.

A-Train wrote: »
    Ireland terrible defence again, big learning curve for Larmour today

He was caught flat footed rather than being clueless defensively.

Forgivable

Furlong should be fine according to Schmidt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Furlong and Conan ok according to Joe

Joe - "robbies shoulder is sore"

No sh1t Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Murray MOTM

WTF quinlan...... Red tinted or what!!!

Bizzare alright, he seems to have given it to Murray based on Murray being as generally good as he is rather then based on the actual match.

twinytwo wrote: »

That demonstrated soft hands and an appreciation of space that Stander doesn't have. Stander would have held his line in that situation.

He's very much a different attacking option. I don't think Stander will be under threat for his spot but Conan looked capable of slotting in at test level today.

If we weren't as injury struck at centre I don't think Henshaw would be an enormous loss. But Henshaw -> Farrell or Scannell is a big drop off.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Tv3 says Henshaw dislocated shoulder, conan a knee injury and Furlong a hamstring strain

Surprised on Conan. Didn't notice anything at the time and was walking around like normal shaking hands at the end.

• Advertisement

jprender wrote: »
    Larmours inexperience really showing.

Unfortunately I don’t think this will do much for his confidence.

Won’t get a chance to redeem himself in a green shirt before November.

Unlikely he’ll be looking to start against Wales.

Kearney really looking slow today

If we weren't as injury struck at centre I don't think Henshaw would be an enormous loss. But Henshaw -> Farrell or Scannell is a big drop off.

Wouldnt be surprised if McCloskey gets called up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Despite what TV3 said, when interviewed Schmidt didn’t say henshaw had a dislocated shoulder. Merely said it was sore.

Based on that interview, Furlong will be fine and Farrell will replace Henshaw.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Heymans wrote: »
    ?
    Kearney really looking slow today

We're you watching the same game?

Joe says Henshaw is a lot more comfortable now... yeah, because he's up to his tits on morphine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

baas baa wrote: »
    Can anybody who was watching ITV tell me what I'm used to hearing the main commentator on.
    BT Sport rugby coverage
    Where I know him from anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Heymans wrote: »
    He was caught flat footed rather than being clueless defensively.

Forgivable

He was fine but looked nervous today, very understandable.

The learning curve comment was more a general statement from his experience today. Take positives from everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very happy with that but we're in for a completely different challenge vs Wales in 2 weeks

Sadly this must been one of the weakest Italy squads for quite some time

• Advertisement

BT Sport rugby coverage
    Where I know him from anyway

It's the highlights show on ITV I was thinking of. Thought he might've been a regular on another sport as his knowledge didn't seem great.

Advertisement