Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of sight latency

• 09-02-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a line of sight system installed 3 days ago. 30Mbs/3Mbps. happy out with speeds as they are fairly constant even in the evenings.
    Unfortunately in the evenings I'm getting random lag spikes of 400-700ms.
    Any ideas on a fix or is this a contention issue?
    I've tried only having their router and my pc connected/ my own router and a different pc connected but no success.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

If you ping the IP of the router from the command line ping 192.168.1.1 -t for example the response should be <1ms typically and might be up to to 10-20ms.

If it is within this type of range your connection from the PC to the router across your internal network is good, the issue is downstream. You could then try a ping to the google servers ping www.google.com -t and see if that appears to spike, if it does then is it happening all the time or only at certain periods of the day?

If it's periodic (say busy times) then its contention, however if its constant it more likely either your router or the end of the point to point link. Other stuff to check is anyone else in the household running YouTube/Netflicks or phone upgrades at the same time as your trying to frag the heck out of the enemy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Runing tracert there and theres an inconsistent ping coming back from a server down the line. 8 times outta ten its 43ms, then bam 443ms. Its 5 hops away.
    I'm constant 1ms to router and 20ms to next 4 hops.
    Probably not my providers issue then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Runing tracert there and theres an inconsistent ping coming back from a server down the line. 8 times outta ten its 43ms, then bam 443ms. Its 5 hops away.
    I'm constant 1ms to router and 20ms to next 4 hops.
    Probably not my providers issue then?

If it’s 5 hops away it’s not your provider, maybe try changing your DNS settings to use google’s 8.8.8.8 might be worth a shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    If it’s 5 hops away it’s not your provider, maybe try changing your DNS settings to use google’s 8.8.8.8 might be worth a shot?

It could be if the network is chained together. A dodgy microwave to a high site could cause random sputters like that.

ED E wrote: »
    It could be if the network is chained together. A dodgy microwave to a high site could cause random sputters like that.

Ok, after a further weekend of crap, it's my ISP. Last night hop 2 was 234ms+ and speed dropped to 5+2 from my supposed 30+3.
    Either I'm getting massive interference to their mast or they're throttling it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ok, after a further weekend of crap, it's my ISP. Last night hop 2 was 234ms+ and speed dropped to 5+2 from my supposed 30+3.
    Either I'm getting massive interference to their mast or they're throttling it down.

Let me guess, starts around 6pm and ends around 11?

Aye. Spot on. Emailed them on Sunday and still awaiting the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Aye. Spot on. Emailed them on Sunday and still awaiting the response.

Its contention mate. That's the time everybody hops on the network. And with wireless providers, who's back-haul is usually wireless as well, its a pretty common problem.

They've eventually come back to me saying that its an issue and they hope to upgrade it soon.. Blah Blah Blah.. I'll be cancelling the contract on Monday.

Advertisement