Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble on Tory Island...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

aquickword wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/mooneyboats/videos/1659667070738082/ taken by mooney boats this morning. Check around the 1 min mark. Everything you seem to post is fake. You gonna call Mooney boats liars as well?

while some of the footage might have been shot this morning id say there's a bit if old film added in . Its a fairly straight forward explanation . The people knocking the queen of aran saw the video and jumped on the bandwagon straight away without putting even the slightest bit of forethought into it .

have just seen the latest post , a different boat on the wall would be an even simpler explanation

I think the queen of arran photo on the website was taken in the early half of last year.

Go to homepage, click news and you’ll see it’s a good few pages back with some other projects dated or date mentioned in description.

Please note the words - I THINK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Load of moany arse troublemakers. Buy your own boat or get off the island.

nope wrong, not a bunch of moany arse troublemakers at all but concerned citizens who are protesting against a boat they feel is unsuitable for their needs. not their job to buy a boat or get off the island or go anywhere, it's the government's job to insure the boat that provides this vital service meets the needs of the users.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    The people of Tory obviously haven't heard a few old phrases: "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and "beggars can't be choosers".

You don't get to choose how others spend their money on you.

they have no need to have heard of them, their protest is legitimate, and beggers can be choosers if what they are being offered isn't up to scratch or is unable to meet their genuine needs. the islanders get to protest against a boat they believe doesn't meet their needs and they do get to choose how others spend their money on them if the return for that spend doesn't meet their needs.
    they do have a subsidised ferry service but they want a better one. at other peoples expense.

good for them, nothing wrong with that. we all want improvements for our services, if they can get improvements to their service and a boat that they are satisfied will meet their needs, more power to them.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

ozmo wrote: »
    This site is showing that photo is before the refurb.

http://mooneyboats.ie/news/queen-of-aran/

QueenOfAran03.jpg

Edit: Update: Although titled as the Queen of Aran on the Ship Engineers website - This does not appear in fact to be that ship....
    something very odd .. the photos on mooney's page and the one in this post are of different boats , OR the have made major structural changes to the queen of a

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whoarewe

There is a mistake under the mooney boats website. There’s a picture of tranquillity under the pictures of the queen of Aran. The queen of Aran was towed from Galway up to mooney boats yesterday morning. If you watch mooney boats recent video clip on Facebook, you can see her sitting in dry dock.

Hold on. The boat that was taken out of the water last Wednesday has TRANQUILITY written on it.

Not really fair getting Mooney boats involved in the politics of all this. They are in the boat business and it’s not really their concern who the boat belongs to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

nope wrong, not a bunch of moany arse troublemakers at all but concerned citizens who are protesting against a boat they feel is unsuitable for their needs. not their job to buy a boat or get off the island or go anywhere, it's the government's job to insure the boat that provides this vital service meets the needs of the users.

they have no need to have heard of them, their protest is legitimate, and beggers can be choosers if what they are being offered isn't up to scratch or is unable to meet their genuine needs. the islanders get to protest against a boat they believe doesn't meet their needs and they do get to choose how others spend their money on them if the return for that spend doesn't meet their needs.

good for them, nothing wrong with that. we all want improvements for our services, if they can get improvements to their service and a boat that they are satisfied will meet their needs, more power to them.

No its not. Its the governments job to make the most of available funds and spend them equitably around the country.

A higher spec. boat / service here means something elsewhere needs to be cut back, that might be opening hours at a castle or a vital cancer screening unit but the government will never be able to provide for every citizens wish list.

aileach wrote: »
    Here we go again!!! They want a shiny new boat!! Cop on people! They are under no illusions - there will never be a shiny new boat. They want a SAFE boat!

They are not all friends/relations of the current contract owners. Many of them can’t stand the current contract owners.

You ask questions on here - there seem to be very few Tory people following this thread anyway - but when they do come on and attempt to give their perspective you simply ignore them and go back to your preconceived notions!

The 9 míle sea journey from Tory Island to the mainland crosses a very treacherous stretch of the Atlantic Ocean - Open Sea. It takes a very skilled Skipper to manoeuvre a passenger ferry through these waters 365 days a year. The current Skippers and their craft are well used to this crossing - a concern of the Islanders - which isn’t a new concern but you may not have heard it mentioned on this particular thread before - is that a New Skipper using an unfamiliar (to them) craft may not be able to safely navigate this stretch of water so well.

If you have travelled across this water yourself then feel free to comment - if you haven’t I’d suggest taking a trip to Tory ASAP so as you can continue to make snide remarks on this thread.

A Safe Trustworthy Sea Passage in a Safe Trustworthy Boat is all that is required.

As someone mentioned on another thread here - Bertie Ahearns Car from his time as Taoiseach still passes its NCT so why is Leo Varadkar not using it?????
    aileach wrote: »
    IF they have a free travel pass!!!

Please put your answers in context!

The helicopter service is seasonal and very useful when high seas prevent the ferry from crossing BUT it’s not an entitlement and the vast majority of passengers pay to use this service.

So the existing boat / skipper don't do the crossing 365 days a year? On bad days there is a helicopter.

Why claim it does it 365 days a year when there are days when it can't?

And what if the existing skipper dies / retires / takes a job elsewhere, a new skipper will need to be found anyway?

This is a photo of the queen of Arann at Mooney boats in March last year. I don’t think time stamps on Facebook can be altered, can they?

https://www.facebook.com/doolinferry/photos/a.662075157157294.1073741833.208231265875021/1415665461798256/?type=3

Question - if you had paid a company to do work on your boat including a lovely new paint job (see link), would you expect it to look like the boat that is now in dry dock at Mooney’s as per the pic yesterday?

And just when I thought it couldn’t get anymore confusing, they also have a pic of tranquility with same date in March

https://www.facebook.com/doolinferry/photos/a.662075157157294.1073741833.208231265875021/1415665195131616/?type=3

• Advertisement

I’m out lol

This was what tranquility looked like on Monday - not too bad looking
    https://www.facebook.com/mooneyboats/photos/a.169130683125069.30870.167546616616809/1658806280824161/?type=3

so the Tory Islanders could be correct and the boat in yesterday’s pic could be queen of arran.

I’m just gonna lurk from now.

http://mooneyboats.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/QueenOfAran08.jpg This is not the queen of Aran. This is a totally different boat. There’s a mistake with the uploading of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CityLyf

Been following this thread for a while with amazement. Had a very interesting conversation today with somebody in the know and seems things aren't quite as they'r being portrayed by the islanders. It's not actually about the Queen of Aran, it's not actually about who won the contract....its about who didn't get it, strangely enough this person didn't even put in for the tender! Now hear me out, there is a 'gentleman' on Tory who led the people on that he was going to put in for the contract with an Ex-Windfarm boat (which I am told would NEVER get a licence in this country, the very reason that they are floating around the UK for half nothing). This Gent says he missed the deadline...in all seriousness, if he was genuine, he would make sure that his tender was in before the deadline. But when the Government mentioned that they were going to spend 4 million euro building a new ferry, of course he wants it BUT unfortunately for him, the 'new operator' is in the position that he wants to be in. So now this gent and his extending family are bullying the Tory Islanders into boycotting the new operator due to start on April, 1st. Imagine it has taken 43 pages on this thread, people left wondering and going around in circle and now the truth is finally coming out.

Whoarewe wrote: »
    http://mooneyboats.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/QueenOfAran08.jpg This is not the queen of Aran. This is a totally different boat. There’s a mistake with the uploading of photos.

It’ll be some job when it’s finished, based on the pictures of what they have done to other boats.

A fine boat to ply the route to Tory island.

CityLyf wrote: »
    Been following this thread for a while with amazement. Had a very interesting conversation today with somebody in the know and seems things aren't quite as they'r being portrayed by the islanders. It's not actually about the Queen of Aran, it's not actually about who won the contract....its about who didn't get it, strangely enough this person didn't even put in for the tender! Now hear me out, there is a 'gentleman' on Tory who led the people on that he was going to put in for the contract with an Ex-Windfarm boat (which I am told would NEVER get a licence in this country, the very reason that they are floating around the UK for half nothing). This Gent says he missed the deadline...in all seriousness, if he was genuine, he would make sure that his tender was in before the deadline. But when the Government mentioned that they were going to spend 4 million euro building a new ferry, of course he wants it BUT unfortunately for him, the 'new operator' is in the position that he wants to be in. So now this gent and his extending family are bullying the Tory Islanders into boycotting the new operator due to start on April, 1st. Imagine it has taken 43 pages on this thread, people left wondering and going around in circle and now the truth is finally coming out.

It would make a lot sense if this was true as the story about the boat changed as often as the tide , some on here were wondering from the start what the real story was , as the marine survey office would never let a boat that was not fit for purpose go to sea.

As public transport is heavily subsidized in this country , I have no problem with the government subsidizing [within reason ] the ferry to Tory but if the people want boycott the new boat , that's there business , let THEM sort out an alternative .After all if i want to take the bus to dublin and i want to boycott the public transport , i'm fully entitled to do that and make alternative arrangements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

CityLyf wrote: »

Any credible proof or evidence for this gossip yarn Mr. New 1 post ?

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    Any credible proof or evidence for this yarn Mr. 1 post ?
    maybe he has much proof as you provided when you were asked to back up numerous claims you made , for now i'll take his word for it as the explanation makes far more sense than all the stupid stuff about the boat

maybe he has much proof as you provided when you were asked to back up numerous claims you made , for now i'll take his word for it as the explanation makes far more sense as all the stupid stuff about the boat

Funny how you demand proof from some, but are perfectly happy with gossip from others.
    Unlike yourself and your blatant regional hatred, I merely supported the Tory Islanders requests for a decent service and more clarity.
    Just because a boat passes a marine survey , does not make it suitable for any job in any waters.

Funny how you demand proof from some, but are perfectly happy with gossip from others.
    Unlike yourself and your blatant regional hatred, I merely supported the Tory Islanders requests for a decent service and more clarity.
    Just because a boat passes a marine survey , does not make it suitable for any job in any waters.
    here you go again with your crap about regional hatred , no wonder i stopped replying to your posts , and this will be the last
    The reason i choose to believe him was because his posts makes sense unlike all of the ones about the boat . That poster was telling us what he heard maybe its true maybe its not but it makes sense , time and time again you stated things as fact when in fact they were not . numerous time ''facts'' were trotted out about the unsuitability of the boat the [ REAL ] fact that the boat has bee surveyed to operate between the mainland and tory would indeed prove your '' facts'' were indeed crap
    Your remark about the survey just proves the point that you have not got a clue about marine surveys , nobody ever said that once surveyed it would be suitable for any job in any waters .What was said it would be fit to do the job it was surveyed to do .
    Like i also stated several times i have no problem with a suitable boat being subsidized for the people of Tory and if they wish to boycott it then thats their right , so you go right ahead and support them in their protest and remain on either the mainland or the island until you can make alternative arrangements and organize a private ferry service , then they will know what it takes to get a boat through a survey

here you go again with your crap about regional hatred , no wonder i stopped replying to your posts , and this will be the last
    The reason i choose to believe him was because his posts makes sense unlike all of the ones about the boat . That poster was telling us what he heard maybe its true maybe its not but it makes sense , time and time again you stated things as fact when in fact they were not . numerous time ''facts'' were trotted out about the unsuitability of the boat the [ REAL ] fact that the boat has bee surveyed to operate between the mainland and tory would indeed prove your '' facts'' were indeed crap
    Your remark about the survey just proves the point that you have not got a clue about marine surveys , nobody ever said that once surveyed it would be suitable for any job in any waters .What was said it would be fit to do the job it was surveyed to do .
    Like i also stated several times i have no problem with a suitable boat being subsidized for the people of Tory and if they wish to boycott it then thats their right , so you go right ahead and support them in their protest and remain on either the mainland or the island until you can make alternative arrangements and organize a private ferry service , then they will know what it takes to get a boat through a survey

the boat being passed to operate doesn't prove it's suitability to operate the ferry service to the island, given that simply being safe to operate wouldn't be the only criteria required to meet the islander's needs. being passed to operate just proves the boat is safe to operate. so his points have not been proved crap. the islanders most likely have seen the boat or know of it and it's history and believe that while it is safe, it doesn't offer what the current boat does adn therefore cannot meet their needs.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In terms of the video footage, that probably is the Queen of Aran, but Mooney's told a little porkie about the footage being taken that morning. You see pages doing that all the time. Little white lies.

How do I know?

Go to 1:05 in the Mooney's video and look at the luxury yacht on the top-left, facing towards the shed.

Now look at this picture, showing the exact same yacht in the background:
    http://mooneyboats.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/QueenOfAran07.jpg

Which leaves only two possible conclusions:

1. This yacht has been in Mooney's for nearly a year, and the Queen of Aran has been in for refurbishing twice in that time.
    2. The video is a year old.

Historical weather data also suggests that it was raining at sunrise on the 20th in Killybegs, but that of course could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

One of my company's operates a commercial craft, under licence from Dept. of Transport and inspected / surveyed by the MSO.

When the MSO is surveying the vessel, you must state ALL ports / areas that the vessel will operate in. I had to list every single port / pier that I wished to land on & area that I would travel in. I cannot go to any other port / pier / area. The MSO was satisfied that the boat was suitable for this and granted a licence.

I can tell you right now, that if a boat is not deemed fit-for-purpose for the area / conditions it wishes to operate in, it will NOT be given a licence. This is why a ferry can't just take off and operate in another area of the country over-night ... it has to be re-surveyed / re-licensed etc.

I have experienced this first hand and deal with the MSO regularly. Therefore, I am happy to tell you, and advise others, that you are talking through your hoop and have absolutely no clue what you're on about. That said, feel free to tell me your experience / knowledge / qualification of the field.

-Edit- Just in case it was not crystal clear, if the MSO have passed survey (and therefore issued licence by Dept. of Transport) for the Queen of Aran to operate as the Tory Island ferry, then it IS fit for purpose, end of. (The MSO are very strict, there is not an inch of lee-way with them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's the status quo for Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

there are several versions of the story - here is one from link
    News that a new ferry has been sanctioned for Tory Island off Co. Donegal has been welcomed – but there are still concerns over what vessel will be used until the new ferry comes on line.

... residents on the island were furious ...

They had threatened to not use the service at all and following a meeting with Minister Joe McHugh, it was announced that €4 million would now be made available for a custom built ferry.

So this version says they are getting the €4 Million (that will be some boat!! - Several schools could be built with that!)
    But they are just unhappy with the temporary boat allocated to them...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

4 million? That's 40k per islander! Probably more than most of them have paid in tax in the last decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aquickword

ozmo wrote: »
    there are several versions of the story - here is one from link

So this version says they are getting the €4 Million (that will be some boat!! - Several schools could be built with that!)
    But they are just unhappy with the temporary boat allocated to them...

Yeah Joe McHugh has also promised to build a ceiling over Donegal to stop us getting wet when it rains. He just forgot to put that down on the 2040 draft of Ireland. Are you that gullible to believe everything you hear from a politician. Heres what Joe McHugh did on the Aran Islands..
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/minister-to-meet-aran-islanders-over-contract-decision-1.2331291

and here is what the outcome was

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/government-readvertises-aran-islands-air-service-contract-34595959.html

McHugh is a crook... if there's a brown envelope going he'll be there. I have no doubt he had his hand out here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭PRidley

Yeah Joe McHugh has also promised to build a ceiling over Donegal to stop us getting wet when it rains. He just forgot to put that down on the 2040 draft of Ireland. Are you that gullible to believe everything you hear from a politician. Heres what Joe McHugh did on the Aran Islands..
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/minister-to-meet-aran-islanders-over-contract-decision-1.2331291

and here is what the outcome was

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/government-readvertises-aran-islands-air-service-contract-34595959.html

McHugh is a crook... if there's a brown envelope going he'll be there. I have no doubt he had his hand out here as well.

When did Joe McHugh promise to build a ceiling over Donegal?

The proposed Tory Ferry and the works to the mainland pier to accommodate the new boat are both listed in the Project Ireland 2040 National Planning Framework.

I figure that (boat and pier) will end up costing between €50,000 and €60,000 for every resident in Tory on top of an annual cost of at least €5,000 per resident per year that it costs to transport them and their goods to and from the island. So assuming the population stays at or about its current level, by 2040, every person on Tory will have ended up costing the taxpayer about €150,000 for transport to and from the island - less the taxes that they pay, of course.

That is a pretty serious allegation you have made about "McHugh". Does it relate to Joe McHugh (Chief Whip) or some other McHugh?

PRidley wrote: »
    When did Joe McHugh promise to build a ceiling over Donegal?

The proposed Tory Ferry and the works to the mainland pier to accommodate the new boat are both listed in the Project Ireland 2040 National Planning Framework.

I figure that (boat and pier) will end up costing between €50,000 and €60,000 for every resident in Tory on top of an annual cost of at least €5,000 per resident per year that it costs to transport them and their goods to and from the island. So assuming the population stays at or about its current level, by 2040, every person on Tory will have ended up costing the taxpayer about €150,000 for transport to and from the island - less the taxes that they pay, of course.

That is a pretty serious allegation you have made about "McHugh". Does it relate to Joe McHugh (Chief Whip) or some other McHugh?
    Is your head so far up your ass you dont know what sarcasm is anymore? If you honestly believe that everything on that list is going to come about then you are living in a dreamworld. By 2040 you'll be lucky to own the chair you are sitting on without paying "Comfort Tax" for it. You seem to know a lot about figures but not about figuring things out.

Is your head so far up your ass you dont know what sarcasm is anymore? If you honestly believe that everything on that list is going to come about then you are living in a dreamworld. By 2040 you'll be lucky to own the chair you are sitting on without paying "Comfort Tax" for it. You seem to know a lot about figures but not about figuring things out.

I notice that you didn’t answer my last question. I thought you might be man enough to back up up your allegation.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    One of my company's operates a commercial craft, under licence from Dept. of Transport and inspected / surveyed by the MSO.

When the MSO is surveying the vessel, you must state ALL ports / areas that the vessel will operate in. I had to list every single port / pier that I wished to land on & area that I would travel in. I cannot go to any other port / pier / area. The MSO was satisfied that the boat was suitable for this and granted a licence.

I can tell you right now, that if a boat is not deemed fit-for-purpose for the area / conditions it wishes to operate in, it will NOT be given a licence. This is why a ferry can't just take off and operate in another area of the country over-night ... it has to be re-surveyed / re-licensed etc.

I have experienced this first hand and deal with the MSO regularly. Therefore, I am happy to tell you, and advise others, that you are talking through your hoop and have absolutely no clue what you're on about. That said, feel free to tell me your experience / knowledge / qualification of the field.

-Edit- Just in case it was not crystal clear, if the MSO have passed survey (and therefore issued licence by Dept. of Transport) for the Queen of Aran to operate as the Tory Island ferry, then it IS fit for purpose, end of. (The MSO are very strict, there is not an inch of lee-way with them)

So which ports was the Queen of Aran passed for, and if it was already passed fit as a passenger carrying ferry for Tory, why is it in Mooney's ?
    And if it didn't pass yet, how did it win the Tender ?

• Advertisement

So which ports was the Queen of Aran passed for, and if it was already passed fit as a passenger carrying ferry for Tory, why is it in Mooney's ?
    And if it didn't pass yet, how did it win the Tender ?

See the bit in bold of my previous post...

Any vessel can [request to] change their ports, but they must apply for same (and everything that goes with it)

Mooney's are (imo) most likely carrying out cosmetic / general re-fit, rather than changing the structure of the vessel. Maybe even an engine replacement / re-build (which still won't affect the structure of the vessel)

Normally, when you initially submit an application for licence, the MSO come out and inspect the vessel. They will say "For the vessel to be fit for purpose of X application, A B C needs to be altered" etc... - So, it's possible that that's exactly what happened... the owners of Queen of Aran went to the MSO, the MSO advised on alterations (etc.) and that's why she's in Mooney's. So when she comes out, she'll be up to requested spec of MSO. The final survey will determine. If MSO are satisfied, she will be licensed to operate in the requested area (whether she does or not)

If you have an interest in this, why don't you contact the MSO? Come back to us with your findings. I find them excellent to deal with.

-Edit- Just to add, it would be perfectly normal to win a tender, but not have the vessel ready at time of winning tender. Just like when, for example, a state owned company orders X amount of buses for public transport. If Volvo win the tender, it doesn't mean that the buses are ready for delivery on the day. Most likely they'll have to go and build them. That's why tenders are put out with plenty of notice... to allow the provider to prepare. In this case.

To be honest, and with no offence intended, you (Bob Marley) have no idea how the system works and you're clutching at straws. I am speaking from experience in both the maritime world and tendering process in general.

I notice that you didn’t answer my last question. I thought you might be man enough to back up up your allegation.

Why don't you sit down in your wee comfy chair and get your calculator and figure it out for yourself. You seem to have forgotten that the last ferry on the island lasted 26 years. Bring that into your equations next time. Also everything that is brought in to the island is payed for by the islanders. There's a price list. Politicians are probably costing the tax payer more money per week with their own comforts than would buy 20 boats. Go shout at them. And bring your wee calculator with you.

the boat being passed to operate doesn't prove it's suitability to operate the ferry service to the island, given that simply being safe to operate wouldn't be the only criteria required to meet the islander's needs. being passed to operate just proves the boat is safe to operate. so his points have not been proved crap. the islanders most likely have seen the boat or know of it and it's history and believe that while it is safe, it doesn't offer what the current boat does adn therefore cannot meet their needs.

the thing is , any of the concerns aired on here all had to do with the safety aspect of the boat. Aside from anything that has to do with the safety of the vessel what are the issues with the vessel that the people are so concerned about

Any vessel can [request to] change their ports, but they must apply for same (and everything that goes with it)

Mooney's are (imo) most likely carrying out cosmetic / general re-fit, rather than changing the structure of the vessel.

Normally, when you initially submit an application for licence, the MSO come out and inspect the vessel. They will say "For the vessel to be fit for purpose of X application, A B C needs to be altered" etc... - So, it's possible that that's exactly what happened... the owners of Queen of Aran went to the MSO, the MSO advised on alterations (etc.) and that's why she's in Mooney's. So when she comes out, she'll be up to requested spec of MSO. The final survey will determine. If MSO are satisfied, she will be licensed to operate in the requested area (whether she does or not)

If you have an interest in this, why don't you contact the MSO? Come back to us with your findings. I find them excellent to deal with.

-Edit- Just to add, it would be perfectly normal to win a tender, but not have the vessel ready at time of winning tender. Just like when, for example, a state owned company orders X amount of buses for public transport. If Volvo win the tender, it doesn't mean that the buses are ready for delivery on the day. Most likely they'll have to go and build them. That's why tenders are put out with plenty of notice... to allow the provider to prepare. In this case.
    To be honest, and with no offence intended, you (Bob Marley) have no idea how the system works and you're clutching at straws. I am speaking from experience in both the maritime world and tendering process in general.
    how tendering works has all been explained before but some posters don't get it , like myself you have dealt with the MSO and if you do the thing right they are fine to deal with , providing you obey the rules and do as they ask during the survey and follow up visits , but heaven help you if you try and fool them by taking shortcuts

how tendering works has all been explained before but some posters don't get it , like myself you have dealt with the MSO and if you do the thing right they are fine to deal with , providing you obey the rules and do as they ask during the survey and follow up visits , but heaven help you if you try and fool them by taking shortcuts

That's the trouble with internet forums. People don't have the foggiest idea about what they're commenting on, yet act as if they're experts. If they were all shoved into a room and made discuss, they wouldn't mutter a word :pac:

Why don't you sit down in your wee comfy chair and get your calculator and figure it out for yourself. You seem to have forgotten that the last ferry on the island lasted 26 years. Bring that into your equations next time. Also everything that is brought in to the island is payed for by the islanders. There's a price list. Politicians are probably costing the tax payer more money per week with their own comforts than would buy 20 boats. Go shout at them. And bring your wee calculator with you.

Still haven’t answered the question. Just insulting comments which have nothing to do with the question asked. Nothing new there.

4 million? That's 40k per islander! Probably more than most of them have paid in tax in the last decade!

that's irrelevant really.

Still haven’t answered the question. Just insulting comments which have nothing to do with the question asked. Nothing new there.
    i hadn't posted for a while and straight away bob was out of the traps with the insults

That's the trouble with internet forums. People don't have the foggiest idea about what they're commenting on, yet act as if they're experts. If they were all shoved into a room and made discuss, they wouldn't mutter a word :pac:
    apart from the tendering a few of them know even less about boats

• Advertisement

i hadn't posted for a while and straight away bob was out of the traps with the insults

Try as you might, but you're never going to stop the public asking questions about this service, the tender process, or supporting the local people.
    If the issue was in Wexford I'd also be supporting the fact local peoples concerns should taken into account and not dismissed English landlord style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

that's irrelevant really.
    Such wasteful use of taxpayers money is relevant to every resident of this country.

That 4m could roughly cover:
    • The employment cost of an additional teacher, nurse or garda (or two) for the entire duration of their career and retirement.
    • The development of a new community centre, school, library or other public amenity
    • 10/12 new Volvo B5TL Double Decker Buses

Or, to be fair, it could be wasted on yet another consultants report, tribunal or minister's folly. We are a state of limited means and we should be doing our best to maximise the services we can provide to all of the residents of this country rather than indulging the lifestyle choices of small but vocal groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Four million would only be the start of it. Building a pier is mentioned and that could be a blank cheque depending on what is needed, I think kilronan pier was over forty million. At the moment you have people tendering for the contract who are providing the boat. If the taxpayers build a boat for this will people be employed to run it or will it be subcontracted out also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I was a betting man I would say a decision will be made to reverse the tender around Paddys weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭parishsavings

Mooney's are (imo) most likely carrying out cosmetic / general re-fit, rather than changing the structure of the vessel. Maybe even an engine replacement / re-build (which still won't affect the structure of the vessel)

John Cleary....best posts on here, factual and educational. Keep on posting

Such wasteful use of taxpayers money is relevant to every resident of this country.

• The employment cost of an additional teacher, nurse or garda (or two) for the entire duration of their career and retirement.
    • The development of a new community centre, school, library or other public amenity

Or, to be fair, it could be wasted on yet another consultants report, tribunal or minister's folly. We are a state of limited means and we should be doing our best to maximise the services we can provide to all of the residents of this country rather than indulging the lifestyle choices of small but vocal groups.

But , I bet you're the pennywise-poundfoolish cowardly type that loves to hate on ordinary people, but never breathes a word of complaint about the 30 billion given to Anglo Bank by the taxpayers of Ireland, or the 13 billion we're desperate to give back to Apple ?

• Advertisement

John Cleary....best posts on here, factual and educational. Keep on posting

I'm here all week :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Audit Scotland said Transport Scotland spending on the ferry links now came to more than £200m.

Link

I know it is a bit inacurate comparing Ireland with the UK, but if you divide 200 million by 66, you get roughly a similar figure of the cost of running the Tory ferry (if you take the exchange rate into account)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Audit Scotland said Transport Scotland spending on the ferry links now came to more than £200m.

Link

I know it is a bit inacurate comparing Ireland with the UK, but if you divide 200 million by 66, you get roughly a similar figure of the cost of running the Tory ferry (if you take the exchange rate into account)

Scotland has industry, military etc on the islands. Tory is a rock which trees can't even grow with 100 odd people living on. By the sounds of it the majority are being paid by the state in the form of pensions or other to stay there. It hardly is a wise investment of taxpayers funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Scotland has industry, military etc on the islands. Tory is a rock which trees can't even grow with 100 odd people living on. By the sounds of it the majority are being paid by the state in the form of pensions or other to stay there. It hardly is a wise investment of taxpayers funds.

The employment cost of an additional teacher, nurse or garda (or two) for the entire duration of their career and retirement.
    The development of a new community centre, school, library or other public amenity
    10/12 new Volvo B5TL Double Decker Buses

again, all this is irrelevant.
    it doesn't matter what the money could be spent on, as it won't be spent on the things you mention as there are already budgets for those and the amount that will be spent on those services has already been budgeted for.
    this money is going to be spent on the islanders. no amount of complaining about it is going to change it.

well the islanders live there so are entitled to services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement