Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry powder - no coriander

Options
  • 09-02-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Has anybody ever seen a ready made curry powder that doesn't have coriander in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Seanachai wrote: »
    Has anybody ever seen a ready made curry powder that doesn't have coriander in it?

I just checked several packets that I have and they all have Coriander in them, its pretty much a principal spice in most curries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never come across one, and when googling recipes for making your own curry powder coriander seems to be the main spice used. If you have an aversion or allergy you could try making it up without coriander but I'm not sure it would taste curry-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dried coriander seeds have a very different taste to fresh coriander - I’m saying this in case you have an aversion to the fresh stuff, as many people do.

It’s a pretty core spice to most curry powders and garam masalas. The only way around it would be to make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I've never come across one, and when googling recipes for making your own curry powder coriander seems to be the main spice used. If you have an aversion or allergy you could try making it up without coriander but I'm not sure it would taste curry-like.

I'll have to make my own, I love curry but coriander gives me headaches. It'll just be a bit more expensive buying the spices separate at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'll have to make my own, I love curry but coriander gives me headaches.
    How did you figure out coriander gave you headaches? did you ever single it out on its own or something?

I presumed you were averse to the taste, which is well documented, but searching coriander headaches I find nothing, actually many take it as a cure for headaches.

The poster called "Curry Addict" might be of help on what spices to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

rubadub wrote: »
    How did you figure out coriander gave you headaches? did you ever single it out on its own or something?

I presumed you were averse to the taste, which is well documented, but searching coriander headaches I find nothing, actually many take it as a cure for headaches.

The poster called "Curry Addict" might be of help on what spices to get.

I narrowed it down by testing the separate spices, even fresh coriander gives me headaches, bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Seanachai wrote:
    I narrowed it down by testing the separate spices, even fresh coriander gives me headaches, bad ones.

Seanachai wrote:
    I'll have to make my own, I love curry but coriander gives me headaches. It'll just be a bit more expensive buying the spices separate at first.

Presumably you already have the separate spices bought then, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

He probably has the separate spices, but his point was that he was looking for a curry powder without coriander so he wouldn't have to buy individual spices any more.

Advertisement