Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating leaving cert, Medicine

Options
  • 09-02-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I am Anna /22years old/, currently studying computer science. I didn’t get into med school, but it’s been in the back of my head since I started this course, so I have decided to apply for medicine school again.
    I am planning to repeat the leaving cert next year, as I need to pick up HL chemistry what I have never studied before. I’ve got some questions here. How do I even start to study chemistry? I need to build it up from the very basics. And the same with geography or home ec. Which one would you recommend to do ( on higher level? And there is a project on both of them, how do I complete it if I don’t go to school, just sit the leaving cert as an external student?

Is there anybody who had been in the same boat? It was challenging enough to prepare for the LC when I went to school, but doing it while I am in college / on a whole different course/ makes it even harder, and I also need to achieve more points, and it sometimes feels impossible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Do you intend to study for the lc while attending college?
    Tbh its difficult enough without doing that.
    You could get grinds for chemistry and you can do.lc as an external student but would need any project work signed off probably by a principal in a secondary school.
    Geography at hl is tough. I dont know about home ec but its probably the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Anna.T

Do you intend to study for the lc while attending college?
    Tbh its difficult enough without doing that.
    You could get grinds for chemistry and you can do.lc as an external student but would need any project work signed off probably by a principal in a secondary school.
    Geography at hl is tough. I dont know about home ec but its probably the same.

Yes I do, I don’t want to drop out.
    Well I did HL home ec on my lc, I was just wondering if geography would be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KBchess333

Most would say that is awfully hard work to undertake but as long as you repeat the mantra " Smart Work beats Hard work " you will remain Hopeful .By the way , if the bulk of the challenge stems from you having to sit Leaving Chemistry then I would highly recommend using Brilliant.org to access endless Quizzes and Write-ups on the subject.You will gain an actual understanding of the subject as opposed to a mind full of seemingly abstract and unrelated concepts or ideas .I would say give it a shot , it can't hurt .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would applying for post grad Medicine not be an easier option?

banie01 wrote: »
    Would applying for post grad Medicine not be an easier option?

In that case I would have to wait another 2 years, but would they even accept a computing degree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

Could you not apply as a post grad rather than re sit the leaving?
    Definitely wouldn't do home ec if I was you. We've still got quite a lot to do before June and according to the teacher we're not even behind. It's a very long course, definitely don't think you'd get it done in one year!

Kbvdpo wrote: »
    Could you not apply as a post grad rather than re sit the leaving?
    Definitely wouldn't do home ec if I was you. We've still got quite a lot to do before June and according to the teacher we're not even behind. It's a very long course, definitely don't think you'd get it done in one year!

Firstly, I am not sure if they would accept a computer Science degree:/ and for that I would have to wait another 2years.

Well I did HL home ec on my Lc, so it would be completely new stuff, it’s the chemistry that scares me

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

Anna.T wrote: »
    Firstly, I am not sure if they would accept a computer Science degree:/ and for that I would have to wait another 2years.

Well I did HL home ec on my Lc, so it would be completely new stuff, it’s the chemistry that scares me

Oh you should be fine with that then! (But don't forget the journal has to be done for November I think) Chemistry is hard to be honest. It involves a lot of math & you need to really understand the first few basic chapters well in order to understand the rest of it. I definitely think it's the harder of the sciences but if you do the work and study often, it's not that bad! Again, doing it all in the space of a year could be tricky but I suppose if you really work on it, it probably would be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

IMO doing the post-grad would be a be a better option - as for the Chemistry, the foundation element of the medicine course should resolve any problems you have with it.

I have been thinking about it, and decided to drop out of my current college, and doing a one year repeat LC course instead. If i get into med school next year, I won't need this level7 degree anyway, so I would rather focus on the LC and Hpat exam, they will be challenging enough on their own

• Advertisement

I have been thinking about it, and decided to drop out of my current college, and doing a one year repeat LC course instead. If i get into med school next year, I won't need this level7 degree anyway, so I would rather focus on the LC and Hpat exam, they will be challenging enough on their own

You would have to have a level 8 course anyway to get onto gradmed. Good luck with the repeat year.

You would have to have a level 8 course anyway to get onto gradmed. Good luck with the repeat year.

I never intended to get onto gradmed. A level8 degree wouldnt be a guarantee to get me into gradmed, so I think I have got better chances with undergrad entry.

I never intended to get onto gradmed. A level8 degree wouldnt be a guarantee to get me into gradmed, so I think I have got better chances with undergrad entry.

Look back in your posts and you asked would your current degree get you onto gradmed a few posts down on page 1 so I was responding to that as I know a level 7 definitely wouldn’t. You’re welcome.

Look back in your posts and you asked would your current degree get you onto gradmed a few posts down on page 1 so I was responding to that as I know a level 7 definitely wouldn’t. You’re welcome.

Ahh okay I see, when I said “I wouldn’t need a level7 degree anyway” I meant, that earlier, I wanted to finish off my lvl7 course, but only just for the sake of it, I would have still applied trough undergrad. I only see it know that it would be a load of unnecessary stress.

I thought I made it clear that I find it easier (and definitely faster) to do undergrad, sorry about that

Advertisement