Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trinity Mirror planned purchase

• 09-02-2018 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Trinity Mirror plans to buy The Daily Star, Daily Star on Sunday and Daily and Sunday Express. It will have a knock on effect here in publishing land and, personally, I think it will be a big decision for IN&M as they ‘franchise’ the Daily Star brand here in Ireland.

If memory serves - the original contact with IN&M had a buy out clause in the case of a change of ownership of the main players. Will they pony up?

In their usual ‘ostrich’ fashion dealing with change, the Uber lords in Talbot Towers glibly said today it was ‘business as usual’ - which is about as useful as tits on a bull to the people that work in the Daily Star and the companies who supply services to them.

They have stripped the publishing of the paper to the core and I don’t know too many publications who jettisoned their web presence.

I feel that it’s a case of ‘leave the money on the sideboard!’ We’ve harvested what we can, the fat lady had a decent voice.

C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I can't see INM purchasing the remaining 50% of Independent Star. The Irish Daily Star has, only a few years left at current decline rates before it becomes totally unprofitable. Why pay for a dying duck and also have to pay redundancy costs as the operation winds-down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I can see this as being the end of the Star as a standalone paper here. As Northern Shell group lease out the masthead and name to the Irish publication, it could easily make the the Star name disappear if it wanted to. INM already have a similar paper in the Herald and a large cash debt to maintain. A sale of 50% share in Irish Star and its established sales and newsteam would allow for a full takeover and a merger of the Mirror and Star titles here with rather a minimal effort for rather a lot more readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Despite all claims of no editorial changes, its pretty obvious the Express and the Star aren't going to be the same papers they are now in the UK - levels of dripping vitriol are going to be pulled back lest Trinity Mirror shareholders revolt.

Additionally, Trinity Mirror had a pretty poor experience owning local press in Ireland so I doubt they'll want to hold on to their Independent Star share - merged to the Herald within the year is my prediction.

Advertisement