Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rattly ould fan

Options
  • 09-02-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have an admittedly pretty old HP 110 desktop PC. I was moving some furniture around and an old fold-up chair fell on the ground. At that exact same moment, my PC which is on a table about 2 feet away started making an ugly noise. I opened it up, dusted it off and isolated the problem to the rear fan. It was easy to disconnect, but now every time I start up my PC, I get a message about rear fan not being found.

I can ignore that, F1 to bypass it, but it also comes up when the PC goes to sleep, and it takes ages to wake back up, even after the message goes away. So I need to reconnect my fan, I guess.

I've removed most of the gunk I can see on the fan blades and the vent. Any tutorials online about rattly fans suggest lubricant, but that doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would suddenly start happening because a chair fell over nearby. Anything else I could check before I pop it in the clapped out electronics box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You have proved it is the fan that is rattling ....... so replace it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There might be a model no on the fan and check the connector to the mother board and number of wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

They're very cheap if you can wait. I bought a 120mm fan recently for €2.30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I thought about replacing it, but it doesn't look like there's an easy way to remove the current fan from the case - no visible screws anyway. The BIOS idea might be a way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

corblimey wrote: »
    I thought about replacing it, but it doesn't look like there's an easy way to remove the current fan from the case - no visible screws anyway. The BIOS idea might be a way to go

Fans are a replaceable item ......... check the manual for details if you cannot figure out how to take it out of the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I am a big fan of avoiding landfill for old pcs. Stay cool and see if you can get a replacement. Fitting it should be a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A HP or Dell machine might have proprietary wiring that the bios needs.

If there is a fan it's likely there for good reason.

Advertisement