Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspirational ideas for a turkey in February

Options
  • 10-02-2018 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Well a friend gave me a frozen turkey a few weeks ago, surplus to requirements at Christmas, it was me or the bin, so I have it defrosting tonight and am looking for some ideas as to what I can do with it. Basically I would like to use it to make as many different meals as possible, cook it and freeze it again for the future. Curry being the obvious one, anybody else got any got suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Jamie Oliver’s turkey and leek pie. I always use it for leftovers and there’s never any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bone, stuff and roll the turkey legs in streaky bacon. Wrap in tin foil and simmer in a large stock pot for a couple of hours. Once it’s cooked you can refreeze again.

You now have a couple of roast dinners to look forward to.

When using, allow to defrost thoroughly and unwrap from tin foil. Fry in a mix of butter and vegetable oil till browned all round. It should be warmed through.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I cubed a turkey breast from Christmas and made a big turkey and broccoli bake. It was absolutely fabulous winter food.

We also made a big curry (obligatory) which was great for lunches.

Shredded turkey and ham pie was another one - really tasty. Short base, puff top, creamy sauce.

Then I prepped individual sliced portions of turkey and sausage stuffing and froze them, which we then ate later with roasties, veg and gravy for a simple roast dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Bone, stuff and roll the turkey legs in streaky bacon. Wrap in tin foil and simmer in a large stock pot for a couple of hours. Once it’s cooked you can refreeze again.

You now have a couple of roast dinners to look forward to.

When using, allow to defrost thoroughly and unwrap from tin foil. Fry in a mix of butter and vegetable oil till browned all round. It should be warmed through.

Stuff the legs with normal stuffing mix? And I wonder would I be able to cook them in the slow cooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gotta be curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Stuff the legs with normal stuffing mix? And I wonder would I be able to cooke them in the slow cooker?

Sausage stuffing would be better. Use Bazmo’s stuffing ball recipe here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056772901/1/#post81099163

(To lift it to another level, grind a couple of teaspoons of fennel seeds and add to the mixture). :)

The slow cooker would be great but you will probably only have room for one leg at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

The slow cooker would be great but you will probably only have room for one leg at a time.[/QUOTE]
    You put your left leg in, you take your left leg out ......:D

Advertisement