Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 10-02-2018 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I've been sober 1 year 3 months and I've just been sacked for the second time. I'm a manager who was on 75k. I got the shock of my life last year when I was let go. I put it down to being wound up a lot post getting sober. Maybe frustrated..angry eyc. But I've been working hard for 10 months bar the usual areas for improvements. Its a target hitting company and they said I just didn't hit target. Which is true for some part but not all. I genuinely thought I was doing well. I'm freezing cold here tonight, trying to remain sober...afraid to tell my family. Wondering what in particular about this sober life is so wonderful. 15 years of turning up with the smell of drink and sometimes the odd one at lunch and I never had even a poor review. I don't get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

sootie wrote: »
    I've been sober 1 year 3 months and I've just been sacked for the second time. I'm a manager who was on 75k. I got the shock of my life last year when I was let go. I put it down to being wound up a lot post getting sober. Maybe frustrated..angry eyc. But I've been working hard for 10 months bar the usual areas for improvements. Its a target hitting company and they said I just didn't hit target. Which is true for some part but not all. I genuinely thought I was doing well. I'm freezing cold here tonight, trying to remain sober...afraid to tell my family. Wondering what in particular about this sober life is so wonderful. 15 years of turning up with the smell of drink and sometimes the odd one at lunch and I never had even a poor review. I don't get it.

Sorry to hear that, that's pretty harsh but don't let it get you down it can happen to anyone. The important thing is you are sober right now and as long as you stay that way you will get another job. Maybe aim for a company that's smaller run that values their workers. Don't take it personally, large companies are ruthless and it sound like you've put your all into it and this has really knocked your confidence. Which totally understandable, put for you and your family you can pull through it, if you have a support worker or if you attend AA go to a meeting and talk things out. This is a set back in life, something that's hard to deal with wether a drinker or not but look after your wellbeing first and foremost and take the support if you need it and you'll be back up and running. A year and three months is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You're doing great having got so far. It's absolutely an employee's market at the moment. I work in recruitment and it's candidates I'm short of rather than jobs. You'll be back on your feet in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The best revenge you can get on those ruthless cretins is to hold your head up high, sit down ceremoniously with a pint of your favourite mineral and toast having a lucky escape.
    And know that you are more valuable than a p*ssy company like that and set your net out to work somewhere you are respected for what you can bring and your talents.
    Don't look back.
    In a few months this will seem like a huge blessing in.disguise and you'll be so proud you didn't reach for the booze.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Sorry to hear this Sootie, big blow for sure.

I will say that just from an AA point of view, many of us were shocked to discover that our main problem was LIVING sober, not so much getting sober (although I never minimize that either, just that once we are sober life can be surprisingly difficult)

Some say this passage from the Big Book is the best definition of "untreated alcoholism" and can often be turned into a good set of questions for people OFF the drink to ask ourselves:
    We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people

http://anonpress.org/bb/Page_52.htm

I always thought that once I wasn't drinking, life would be grand. But for alkies of my kind, it can often leave the world seeming flat and grey. This is where the program really helped me discover a new way of living that quenched that "thirst" booze used to fill.

Just my 2cents.

Great to see the comment above saying it's a good time to be seeking a new job, and hopefully you will land on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I don't know much but I know that when bad things happen drinking makes it worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement