Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Miller RIP

• 10-02-2018 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭

I know soccer is a bit of a taboo in ah, but former Ireland international Liam Miller has sadly passed away after a brave battle against cancer. He was only 36, what a waste. Brilliant all rounder. May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

terrible news... RIP Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very sad news, thoughts with his loved ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

3 young kids and only diagnosed in November. So quick, so cruel :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

terrible news... RIP Liam

Sad news . Was still playing up till pretty recently . Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Horrendous news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Rip bud

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

RIP he was a nice guy, terrible for his family & friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Every kid in my estate dreamed of getting to the levels you got to but ended up working in jobs we hate. I hope your family take comfort knowing that. Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

From a Dublin League Of Ireland supporter, it was great to see a player of that calibre play for his home town club of Cork City, even at the end of his career.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

Rip liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

From a Dublin League Of Ireland supporter, it was great to see a player of that calibre play for his home town club of Cork City, even at the end of his career.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Bohs man myself, but I totally agree. Much love from the notorious boo boys to Cork city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Too young. I'm 37. He went quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Met him many a night out in Melbourne. Dishing out free perks to the Irish like confetti. Hit me for six this news.

He will be terribly missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

where the fcuk did that come from ? ????

He always impressed me as a honest hardworking footballer

cancer what a ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Rip Liam.

Apologies i'm late to the thread, was Liam called up for Roy Saipan 2002 WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Bohs man myself, but I totally agree. Much love from the notorious boo boys to Cork city.

You're getting turned over next Friday

Agreed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Rip Liam.

Think that was Colin Healy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Rip Liam.

Colin Healy that was, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Think that was Colin Healy.

Oh yes. Thanks.

Terrible news. Was meant to be bad around Christmas. Such a tragedy and so young :(

very talented footballer in his day. RIP Liam

You're getting turned over next Friday

Agreed.

Can't wait till Friday, scumrock rovers to start the season in Dalyer, don't get much better than that. Hopefully we'll have a minute silence for liam. Bohs, rovers, Pats, Dundalk, Cork... When all the shouting and screaming is done and dusted, we're all the one family at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Saw him play for Celtic.
    Was a smashing player. Never worked out for him at Man Utd
    God bless him. May he rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Thanks for the memories

https://youtu.be/U2S3y43NqCU

Thanks for the memories

https://youtu.be/U2S3y43NqCU

Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Very sad news. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Terribly sad news, pancreatic cancer is the worst to get.

Thoughts with his family and friends, in life one never knows when, we all assume we will grow old but one never knows.

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Every kid in my estate dreamed of getting to the levels you got to but ended up working in jobs we hate. I hope your family take comfort knowing that. Rip

That's lovely. I'm sure he was an inspiration for many. Wes Hoolahan was mine. I hope a minutes silence will be observed at every first game of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

How dreadfully sad. Pancreatic cancer is a motherfucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cancer is a fcuking arse.

RIP, condolences to family, friends, and team mates.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

RobertKK wrote: »
    Terribly sad news, pancreatic cancer is the worst to get.

Thoughts with his family and friends, in life one never knows when, we all assume we will grow old but one never knows.

As you say very sad and scary news.
    With this type of Cancer you usually don't get any indication of ill- health till it's too late to treat. If you get lucky- if that's the right word- and it's detected early enough, your survival chances are high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Shocking news!

Very sad to go so quickly, and so young as well... :(

Always wondered why he never fulfilled his potential as a player. He seemed to have all the ability to become a top player, when he first broke through... but then his career tailed off quite disappointingly in the end!

Perhaps the cancer was affecting his body beneath the surface for a long time without him knowing? Seems plausible.

A very good honest pro nonetheless! RIP Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Terrible news. A young man who repsented massive clubs such as Celtic and Man U.

Capped numerous times for his country.

Also played back at home in the LOI for Cork City after his stint in Australia.

A great man, so sorry to hear of his passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Bossed a couple of games for Celtic in the Champions League, the game against Anderlecht in particular. Always rated him as a good player, even though his career didn't reach the heights we all thought it would. By all accounts he seemed like a decent guy too. Very sad.

R.I.P Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Shocking news!

Very sad to go so quickly, and so young as well... :(

Always wondered why he never fulfilled his potential as a player. He seemed to have all the ability to become a top player, when he first broke through... but then his career tailed off quite disappointingly in the end!

Perhaps the cancer was affecting his body beneath the surface for a long time without him knowing? Seems plausible.

Doubtful. While sometimes cancer can be developing for as much as a decade before it becomes advanced, it usually isn’t symptomatic for a long, long time. Early stage cancers usually aren’t detected for the very reason that they are not causing any issues for the person. And he would likely have already reached his late 20s by the time this neoplasm even started so the chances that it affected his footballing career seem slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sad news. Tremendous player for Ireland and clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

RIP, taken too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Life can be really cruel sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

as a liverpool fan i naturally hated utd, however i use to watch the games just to see if he played. he was a class act and by all account a very nice guy. i hope his family find comfort in tne fact that his 100% a sporting idol in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Specialun wrote: »
    as a liverpool fan i naturally hated utd, however i use to watch the games just to see if he played. he was a class act and by all account a very nice guy. i hope his family find comfort in tne fact that his 100% a sporting idol in cork

Team colours are irrelevant at times like these. Whilst I won't be able to make the match my self, hope they have a minutes applause/silence at the Showgrounds for Sligo v Limerick next weekend, same for all the opening fixtures for the LoI.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Life can be really cruel sometimes.

Especially when concerning someone in the prime of life, and especially considering the medical exams that are a pre-requisite when moving from club to club. Unfortunately, these medicals check the legs, occasionally the heart rate and f%*k all else. Players are commodities, and apart from the aformentioned, the moneymen in the game couldn't give two fux about the well being of the players once the commission is suitable.

Advertisement