Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona 2018 Anyone else going ?

Options
  • 10-02-2018 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Are any other Boardsies heading over to Barcelona ?
    It's my first, so any advice greatly received...
    Just hoping it doesn't get too warm or I am fecked !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

rodge68 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Are any other Boardsies heading over to Barcelona ?

I ran it last year(well first 19 miles before I collapsed due to heat) it was a great marathon up till that point with plenty of support on the route. It was unseasonably warm last year for it so if your training in an Irish winter & it’s the same this year it will take some adjustment. Water in bottles every 5k. We stayed along the last mile of the route & there’s a bit of a climb to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

OOnegative wrote: »
    I ran it last year(well first 19 miles before I collapsed due to heat) it was a great marathon up till that point with plenty of support on the route. It was unseasonably warm last year for it so if your training in an Irish winter & it’s the same this year it will take some adjustment. Water in bottles every 5k. We stayed along the last mile of the route & there’s a bit of a climb to the finish.

Thanks.
    I have being overdressing in preparation, It might help a little bit. Fingers crossed it wont be as warm as last year !

If your looking for a good beer after the race, can highly recommend this place less than mile from finish:

http://www.abirradero.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

If your looking for a good beer after the race, can highly recommend this place less than mile from finish:

http://www.abirradero.com/

Jasus, I wouldn't last long in there with the strength of some of those beers☺

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Jasus, I wouldn't last long in there with the strength of some of those beers☺

I was thinking the same, as I will only of had 1 night out on the drink since NYE..
    Having said that I might give it a go..
    I think I was in Michael Collins Bar the last time I was in Barcelona, where the mere thought of a run would cause a heart attack..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Did it last year too. Didn't find it too hot as you are sheltered by the building for most of it (I made sure I was, even if it meant adding some metres on to cross from one side of the road to the other)

I wore white and a white hat to help a bit. I also lashed water onto my head, back and thighs every water station which I think prevented me feeling hot.

The last 5-6 km is exposed and it was hot there and no hiding from it! I was carrying a pair of sunglasses so i put them on to help minimise the effects.

Really great race and the best start & finish of any marathon I have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

ran it twice, a great marathon. as earlier post mentions, a climb to the finish line. Back when i ran it in 2012 and 2013 a good number of Irish and Uk runners headed to the George Payne pub for the afters.

Hi all, thanks for the info.
    Like I said it's the heat I'm scared of, would it be worth my while to buy a hydration belt ?
    Or would I be guaranteed to get water at all the stops ?
    Definitely going to run in the shade, more good advice, Thanks.
    I took more advice here and am layering up these days (though we need it)

George Payne it could well be so !

4Ad wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the info.
    Like I said it's the heat I'm scared of, would it be worth my while to buy a hydration belt ?
    Or would I be guaranteed to get water at all the stops ?
    Definitely going to run in the shade, more good advice, Thanks.
    I took more advice here and am layering up these days (though we need it)

George Payne it could well be so !

You’ll get water at all the stops no bother. There is a section out near the beach/harbour that if the sun is shining is very exposed to it. I unfortunately didn’t make it that far, so don’t know how long a stretch it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You’ll get water at all the stops no bother. There is a section out near the beach/harbour that if the sun is shining is very exposed to it. I unfortunately didn’t make it that far, so don’t know how long a stretch it is.

The main exposed section is along the seafront from 31 km to 40 km give or take. It was very hot, but as i said, a hat, sunglasses and an extra bottle at the previous stop will help. (I had sunglasses in a race belt pouch from amphibia which was brilliant)

Once you come away from the heat at 40 km, you get to climb 2 km to the finish line!

Try to have a look at the finish hill if you can (you can do this when you are going to or from the expo) My hotel was on it, so i had some landmarks to work off which broke it down for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

rodge68 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Are any other Boardsies heading over to Barcelona ?

Hi rodge68. Ran it last year. It is a brilliant marathon would love to do it again. I found the weather fairly ok. At the start it was cool and then you run a lot in the shade of the buildings. Just the last few mile along the coast is in the open and nowhere to hide from the sun. It got warm but not too hot. Watch out for people crossing the course. I took a bottle of water at every station (5k) and sipped it until the next station. Hydrate well before the race. Good luck and hope everything goes well, enjoy it. George Payne for a few scoops after.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Best of luck to all those running this weekend.
    I did it last year, my first marathon and loved it. The start is class, the course is fair, the crowds are savage and afterwards the pints were absolutely amazing!!
    Enjoy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Good luck to any lads here doing it. If I'm out of my pit, I'll be down cheering you on at the finishing stretch.

Finished..my first marathon.
    Blessed with the weather, the bands were great and plenty if food and drink..them GU gels are lovely.
    Going on the beer ( wont last long)..only one night out since NYE...Beware..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Congrats 4Ad, a great feeling isn't it?? :)
    Enjoy those beers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Quite a few Irish doing it from what I could see. Some Marys, some Seans, an Aidan, an Aoife, a Grainne and even an Aonghus!

Advertisement