Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my mobo support 7th/gen cpu

Options
  • 10-02-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have the asrock h-97 pro4, and i want to upgrade to a core i7 processor.
    On the product page it says that the motherboard only supports 4th and 5th gen processors: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97%20Pro4/
    But I read somewhere that you might be able to update your BIOS to support higher generation.
    I want to know if i can use a 7th gen cpu with it and if I cant, should I just buy a new mobo or is it worth buying a 5th gen i7?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

No a 7th gen will not work as they are socket lga 1151 your socket is lga1150.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 neil0302

Thanks for the quick reply, are 4th gen worth it anymore or am I better off buying a new mobo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Still worth it if you get one for a good price. Won't be as fast as a 6th or 7th gen but in general terms still extremely good CPUs.

Still worth it if you get one for a good price. Won't be as fast as a 6th or 7th gen but in general terms still extremely good CPUs.

Thanks, I found a listing for an i7-4790k for around 270€, Its second hand but it looks in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

neil0302 wrote: »
    Thanks, I found a listing for an i7-4790k for around 270€, Its second hand but it looks in good condition.

That's too much.

• Advertisement

Alpha8 wrote: »
    That's too much.

oh really? whats a good price and where can i get a good price it because
    I've been looking on a few websites and that's the best price I've found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

neil0302 wrote: »
    oh really? whats a good price and where can i get a good price it because
    I've been looking on a few websites and that's the best price I've found

i7-4770K €200 with 2 year warranty.

CEX are about as trusthworthy as a paper raincoat and don't test CPU's at all but if you're willing to take the risk, worst case scenario it's dead on arrival and you just get a refund.

I've bought a good few CPU's off them and I'd say at least 30% of them were dead.

Advertisement