Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating not working

Options
  • 10-02-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I’m renting a property where the heating hasn’t been working at all for three weeks. We notified the landlord who organised a plumber to come out a week later. The plumber couldn’t fix it but recommended a someone who is gas certified who eventually calked out a week ago. He thinks the boiler needs to be replaced, but wants to try stripping the boiler & flushing out the valves first. He indicated that he might not be available to do the job for a couple of weeks, but will organise when with the landlord. Spoke to the landlord this morning & a date has not yet been arranged, he’s to get back to me Monday. Meanwhile, we’re in a freezing house using electric heaters & I’m eight months pregnant. I am beyond frustrated as have had a lingering cold for two weeks now & am worried the baby will arrive before it’s fixed. What are our options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I think being without heating for three weeks in Jan/Feb is unacceptable.
    In your situation I would give my LL notice in writing giving them three days to get it fixed. If they don’t act then say that you will get it fixed and send them the bill & if necessary you’ll go to the RTB with a case that they are not providing the minimum standards required for a rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You can also go to the RTB with the bill for fixing it if the LL won't reimburse you. Make sure you get three written quotes and keep them and go with the cheapest. Make sure they are gas registered. Sending out a non-gas registered plumber in the first place is simply unacceptable. What did he think was causing an issue with the heating if it wasn't the gas? Moron of a LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

No heating. No rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

No heating. No rent.

That isn’t great advice as not paying your rent can lead to notification of rent arrears & an eviction notice.
    Better to have text & email evidence asking the LL to fix within a certain time & if it doesn’t happen take the advice on getting quotes & getting the work done. It can then be claimed back through the RTB.

No heating. No rent.

Don't resort to this sort of 'self-help'. If you're absolutely stuck then withholding the amount of the repair is probably justifiable but you'll be on the wrong end of the RTB but sometimes needs must. Withholding all the rent until an issue is fixed is simply disproportionate, especially for something easily and relatively - in comparison to average rents - cheap to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Don't resort to this sort of 'self-help'. If you're absolutely stuck then withholding the amount of the repair is probably justifiable but you'll be on the wrong end of the RTB but sometimes needs must. Withholding all the rent until an issue is fixed is simply disproportionate, especially for something easily and relatively - in comparison to average rents - cheap to fix.

Agreed, but...but.. replacing a gas boiler is probably equal to or more than a months rent depending on the rent. Them babies aint cheap!

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Agreed, but...but.. replacing a gas boiler is probably equal to or more than a months rent depending on the rent. Them babies aint cheap!

Near enough but there are suggestions, not necessarily on this thread of people withholding until issues are fixed, be it three months etc. that's counterproductive in my view.

Near enough but there are suggestions, not necessarily on this thread of people withholding until issues are fixed, be it three months etc. that's counterproductive in my view.

And illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Rather than withholding rent until it is fixed, is it acceptable to get it fixed yourself and then deduct the cost from the rent? I would imagine passing the receipt to most landlords could leave you waiting for a very long time.

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Rather than withholding rent until it is fixed, is it acceptable to get it fixed yourself and then deduct the cost from the rent? I would imagine passing the receipt to most landlords could leave you waiting for a very long time.

Theres no defined yes / no to this. How important ios it? How long has it been gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you spoken to the LL again since the gas guy came out?

Does the LL know yhat you're preggers and will be adding a child to the tenancy soon?

Advertisement