Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Few bits from yesterday - an idiot, an aftermath of a crash, and a middle lane hogging Guard!

*Disclaimer: Yes, after I passed the truck, I could have moved into lane 1 for the 15 seconds or so before I overtook the middle lane hogger. So yes, I have become everything I despise on the motorways. Yes, I need to take a serious look at my own driving. Yes, I shouldn't throw stones while in a glass house. Yes, I'm a c**t.
    (Had it not been a Garda vehicle, I'd have undertaken him in a heartbeat, cos I'm badass like that!)

......and yes, I couldn't give 2 flying forks.....

Nice 911

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Carpentry wrote: »
    trucks are not limited, drivers are, by tachograph

Trucks can now do 90km/h which was exactly what they could do before change to km/h from mph. 55 mph was the limit and became 50mph with change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

tedpan wrote: »
    Why, it looked really slow on the clip?

Working link

Just a time travel experiment.

I need to get one to at least 140kph towing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Carpentry wrote: »
    trucks are not limited, drivers are, by tachograph

Trucks are limited, set to 90kph.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    I was driving behind a lorry with a 40ft on the M50 the other night doing 100kph so I can't imagine they're all limited to 80? The Dublin Bus was doing 80 alright because the truck passed it and I was happy to sit behind the truck.

I sure as hell wouldn't have been behind him if he was driving under the speed limit on an empty motorway.

As above trucks limited to 90, Dublin Bus have limiters set to 65 or 70kph

You were most likely doing 90 with an over-reading speedo.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Dublin bus have a lower restriction due to the standing passengers and lack of seatbelts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Looking at all these videos, it is pretty damn clear that these multi-lane roundabouts are not well engineered and when so many drivers are making mistakes it is not a case of bad driving but bad and lowcost stingy road engineering. Roundabouts are okay in certain situations but in my opinion they are a cop-out by road designers just throw in a roundabout be grand like.

I much prefer the US style of not having roundabouts, in many countries Roundabouts are not implemented or they have become total free for all failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Roundabouts are actually an accident reduction measure (when used properly) and allow for more free flowing traffic as opposed to traffic lights etc
    But that doesn't take in to account dual lane approaches leading to single lanes where some roundabouts have marking for flow direction and then others have nothing leading people into an habit of following the wrong lane (so evident in the UK dash cam vids)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Having to change lane in the middle of a roundabout because of design is terrible, e.g. Kinsale Road going to the Airport in Cork, Jack Lynch tunnel roundabout etc. I don't get mad or angry anymore if I get cut off or whatever because the layouts is too confusing and indicators well who the hell knows what they mean, especially as you often have to change indication half way through etc. They are stupidity in my book but single lane roundabouts are fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Trucks can now do 90km/h which was exactly what they could do before change to km/h from mph. 55 mph was the limit and became 50mph with change.
    And some trucks can even do a bit more if doctored.:rolleyes:

In any case, trucks do have limiters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

Doltanian wrote: »
    Having to change lane in the middle of a roundabout because of design is terrible, e.g. Kinsale Road going to the Airport in Cork, Jack Lynch tunnel roundabout etc. I don't get mad or angry anymore if I get cut off or whatever because the layouts is too confusing and indicators well who the hell knows what they mean, especially as you often have to change indication half way through etc. They are stupidity in my book but single lane roundabouts are fine.

Pretty much any of the major roundabouts in Dublin change lane as you go around and it works. Their are only one or two variations like walkinstown. As long as they are all consistent, it works. Know one of them and you know them all.

Galway and Cork seem to have their own rules for each roundabout and it is dependent on local knowledge to navigate many of them. That is where the problem starts.

Add to this, local councils never seem to re-paint any of the markings on approach which becomes a pain for visiting drivers and new drivers.

Pet peeve, bus lane to roundabout which becomes a normal lane for 20m and back to bus lane. The old one lane to two and back to one. Why not a bus lane through the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Where’s the dash cam thread gone ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

BMW on the M3 undercutting and speeding https://youtu.be/jpu5ARcTc84

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Vic_08

jimmynokia wrote: »
    BMW on the M3 undercutting and speeding https://youtu.be/jpu5ARcTc84

Hmm...

Do you honestly expect not to be criticised for that vid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats supposed to be happening from 03:30 on? Its just a car driving... :confused:

EDIT: Actually the whole video is just terrible.

Thargor wrote:
    Whats supposed to be happening from 03:30 on? Its just a car driving...

Just for the smart arses this asshole was pelting it driving like a clown doing at least 150 /160 weaving in and out for the entire stretch. Now if I put that up you'd say the same thing but this is just an example how he undercut me after coming down from previous flyover.

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats supposed to be happening from 03:30 on? Its just a car driving... :confused:

It's better to have crap videos than to have crap chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭boardz

Just for the smart arses this asshole was pelting it driving like a clown doing at least 150 /160 weaving in and out for the entire stretch. Now if I put that up you'd say the same thing but this is just an example how he undercut me after coming down from previous flyover.

Think you have the comment vs posts mixed up....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Onymlifestyle

Already posted link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why are you quoting me?

Thargor wrote: »

Merc blocking the road parked in the keep clear section outside the school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

The guy was definitely an a**hole. However, I'm guessing he was frustrated with you sitting in the overtaking lane, which you continued to sit in even after the incident. Just my 2 cents.

tedpan wrote: »
    The guy was definitely an a**hole. However, I'm guessing he was frustrated with you sitting in the overtaking lane, which you continued to sit in even after the incident. Just my 2 cents.

Well within my rights as I was travelling faster and nobody behind me...

boardz wrote: »
    Think you have the comment vs posts mixed up....

Yeah just noticed was posting from phone.my bad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's not how lane discipline works. It's the other way around.

You keep left whilst nobody is in front of you. Not keep right whilst nobody is behind you.

and there was someone behind you....you didn't move over for him and he undertook you to get past

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Obviously not faster than guy in BMW :eek:

Meanwhile........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Obviously not faster than guy in BMW :eek:

Meanwhile........

He's wearing a reflective vest, he's grand

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement