Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You were already on the brake before you passed the van, anyway they mostly are set up to catch vehicles approaching, rather than going away.

It was most likely looking at the traffic coming the other way.

This ^^^, wouldn't be able to get a reliable reading as they had no view of your side of the road

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In the first video, it bugs me a lot, that they recorded the truck hitting the bridge (clearly knew it was coming) instead of trying to get ahead and stop him.

It is a dashcam. He might be recording but he isnt specifically recording that truck.
    Dashcammer might only have seen the snow on the roof when it was wiped off.

You would have a point if it was a phone recording, preferably portrait recording

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

fritzelly wrote: »
    This ^^^, wouldn't be able to get a reliable reading as they had no view of your side of the road
    Completely wrong. They read both sides of the road equally well. Your speed is taken a little further away from the back of the van, going away from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

jimbis wrote: »
    Spot the motorway jogger at 3:20

what happen to the mortorbike driver and the sliver jeep were they talking or fighting do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

What do ye reckon, was I nailed to the wall? Or did i get away with it?

Speed van at 12 secs, speedometer on bottom of screen, 80 zone.

I reckon I may have gotten lucky as I was on the brakes by the time I was near the rear of the van. I think i was only at 81km when the van could see me... i hope..

So your one of thoise people who got 20 under as soon as they pass a white transit?

You're fine within 10% or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

that's not true unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

I tested my 04 car.
    My speedo was barely over 80kmh and GPS was on 80km.
    If I believed I could get away with 10% and went to 88kmh. I would probably be clocked at 85kmh. In which I would of got caught speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

honda boi wrote:
    I tested my 04 car. My speedo was barely over 80kmh and GPS was on 80km. If I believed I could get away with 10% and went to 88kmh. I would probably be clocked at 85kmh. In which I would of got caught speeding.

Mine is definitely 10% over vs GPS. When my speedo is at 88, GPS says 80

my new Opel is 4% out. So 104 on the cruise control = 100 on the road,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As has been discussed here before, the speedo is calibrated based off the largest diameter wheel/tyre combination that will fit on the car. Therefore when you have maxed out on wheel/tyre diameter, your speedo will be very close to accurate.

This is done so there is no possibility of the speedo under reading (reading 80km/h when your actually doing 83 km/h) if you have an above standard sized wheel/tyre combination installed.

It’s no major issue when a speedo over reads, but if a speedo was to under read, there could be serious legal implications for a manufacturer in the event of an accident or even a speeding ticket.

• Advertisement

leaving the side tracking aside, the video of course would be GPS based speed and speedo inaccuracy wouldn't be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Some light hearted clips ahead...

A tour of Navan laughing at several staggery drunks nearly falling/having a rendezvous at an abandoned gym, a story about a parking fine and a strange incident at a junction, all while listening to some tragic mashed up music

A quick visit to the shops. No patience after Paddy's Night :)

inforfun wrote: »
    It is a dashcam. He might be recording but he isnt specifically recording that truck.
    Dashcammer might only have seen the snow on the roof when it was wiped off.

You would have a point if it was a phone recording, preferably portrait recording

Dunno if we're talking about the same video, but the one Im talking about is the truck that's too high for the bridge. Definitely looks like a phone recording to me (with youtube's image stabiliser applied, so the windscreen dirt is shaking all over the place).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

tedpan wrote: »

I've seen that move a few times on the Donore road.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

tedpan wrote: »

In that last clip does, with 'silver car' waiting to turn, does the oncoming '4x4' break a red light or did the sequence change that quick?.....

In that last clip does, with 'silver car' waiting to turn, does the oncoming '4x4' break a red light or did the sequence change that quick?.....

Maybe, couldn't see from that angle. Was mainly highlighting the red 5 series.

Guessing he did, looks like there is a turn right signal light - if not that light changed very fast from green to red!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mod edit: Not dash cam and also a repost

endacl wrote: »
    He knows when you've been naughty!

Already posted...at Xmas

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    I first saw that a few months ago. May even have been in the old thread. Those two lads that did the chasing, I tip my hat to them. Of course if someone did something similar here they'd probably be prosecuted or something.

If I was santy there's no way would i have stopped the bike in front of her and gotten off it like he did halfway through the video. Was fully sure she'd plough the bike out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could the lad in the chasing car have been any more French. After the big chase he gets out and first priority is getting coat and scarf in order :)

As has been discussed here before, the speedo is calibrated based off the largest diameter wheel/tyre combination that will fit on the car. Therefore when you have maxed out on wheel/tyre diameter, your speedo will be very close to accurate.

This is done so there is no possibility of the speedo under reading (reading 80km/h when your actually doing 83 km/h) if you have an above standard sized wheel/tyre combination installed.

It’s no major issue when a speedo over reads, but if a speedo was to under read, there could be serious legal implications for a manufacturer in the event of an accident or even a speeding ticket.

My car has an 18" wheels option that can be enabled via diagnostic computer. I wouldn't be THAT surprised if other manufacturers have done similar in the past, particularly when a car was launched with e.g. 16/17/18" wheels but 19" were later added in a facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Keep an eye on the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cyclist

What a numpty. Fair enough if somebody makes an error, thats suicidal!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Cyclist on M50

He realised he was about to cross the toll and said "feck that", and did a quick about turn.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7391761/295a610f/bestuurder_uit_brandende_auto_redden.html

Now the main question is of course... how do you **** up so badly in a parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Suppose running from the police makes people extremely bad at parking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Advertisement

Shane_ef wrote: »

pissed I'd say, why did they blank his number plates!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement