Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

seagull wrote: »
    Did that biker even look to either side before pulling off? From that, I was thinking before he even moved "That truck's not stopping". It seemed like his process was green light, floor it, truck appears immediately ahead in sight line, brown trousers.

Yeah, you can see the lid move.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Not exactly floor it... He gets green light - 4 seconds later begins to move - 4 seconds later hit the side of an 18 wheeler... cant have been going more than 15 or 20kph... :eek:
    Now if he had floored it he would have been across the junction before the big rig got even close! :D
    If he'd "floored it" he would have not gone anywhere, the throttle is on the handlebars. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

One from earlier. I have a mini compilation to edit someday soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Focus could have moved over.....

Why can't people get it in their tiny brains when they are moving slower that it could help so much if they didn't block overtakes and also the one that speeds up or rides the centre line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    They kept over against the line, perfectly fine. No need to drive in the ditch for idiots.

Nowhere near a ditch¿¿

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Now for some Thursday evening entertainment..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why can't people get it in their tiny brains when they are moving slower that it could help so much if they didn't block overtakes and also the one that speeds up or rides the centre line

Why can't people get in their tiny brains that you don't cross a solid line and certainly not when there are oncoming vehicles?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Why can't people get in their tiny brains that you don't cross a solid line and certainly not when there are oncoming vehicles?

I understand that but if the car moved over the car wouldn't have crossed the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I understand that but if the car moved over the car wouldn't have crossed the line.

It's one lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Mini compilation ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

An absolute the menace and danger on the roads.

The Focus I mean and the mindset that accompanies it.

If there is a car clearly trying to overtake you, move the fu*k over

Patww79 wrote: »

Oh really?

I assume so if it was an ambulance or something on an emergency call, you wouldn't be pulling over either then.

If you have someone close to you waiting on an ambulance, would you be happy have someone like you make it difficult to overtake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

salonfire wrote: »
    Oh really?

I assume so if it was an ambulance or something on an emergency call, you wouldn't be pulling over either then.

If you have someone close to you waiting on an ambulance, would you be happy have someone like you make it difficult to overtake?

Are you honestly comparing some a**hole doing a dangerous over take to an ambulance?

Jesus.

Can we get back to the videos?

If the side is clear and there are no exits in front, I would move over but only the minimum required for them to pass.
    There's nothing more dangerous than driving in the hard shoulder when there are exits, driveways etc where anyone could just pull-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

An absolute the menace and danger on the roads.

The Focus I mean and the mindset that accompanies it.

If there is a car clearly trying to overtake you, move the fu*k over

I think taking a few advanced driving lessons would serve you well.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are you for real? That overtaking lunatc will kill him/herself or someone else behaving like that.

Focus driver is under no obligation to drive on the hard shoulder especially to facilitate some other fool speeding.

Yes, I am for real.

It happens all the time, every day, by drivers who are aware of their surroundings, are courteous and want to make the road safer for everyone. Regardless of who was 'right' or 'wrong'

Have you really never seen someone go just inside the hard shoulder in order to let the person behind overtake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

I would not have pulled in on that stretch of road, with a sweeping left hander being ideal to hide walkers in. The overtaker should have stayed put.

Road awareness is more than letting impatient drivers past when it's unsafe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The first car pulled in after a few moments, but the 2nd car didn't have a chance to move in before being overtaken.

But tbh, the overtaker was crossing a solid white line against oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are you for real? That overtaking lunatc will kill him/herself or someone else behaving like that.

Focus driver is under no obligation to drive on the hard shoulder especially to facilitate some other fool speeding.

Yes, I am for real.

It happens all the time, every day, by drivers who are aware of their surroundings, are courteous and want to make the road safer for everyone. Regardless of who was 'right' or 'wrong'

Have you really never seen someone go just inside the hard shoulder in order to let the person behind overtake?

Look at the footage again. It is on a bend. Anything could be on the hard shoulder. It would be stupidly dangerous for both cars. What he he moves in and is forced out ? The overtaker goes into head on traffic.

I move aside, no more than half car width on shoulder but only when I can see well ahead of me and the shoulder is clear with absolutely no exits approaching including farm yards. Cars regularly come out of junctions and take the hard shoulder waiting to turn. You will see plenty of trucks make room for you but always with the same rules as above, never on a bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Goodness my vid has stirred some conversation :D I see this sh*tholery regularly enough but this time I was actually behind the car for a change... And no one mentioned my horrendous wheel bearing! :P

The fella in the BMW forced some of the other cars onto the hard shoulder (Audi springs to mind as they flashed him) and it's just as well the Audi didn't have an obstacle in his path, or this could have got messy, especially with the traffic behind.

As for the progress gained? The 2nd car infront pulled in just before the Leixlip turn, quite abruptly. So just the Focus in front. We caught up with the 3 series here, 1 car length ahead (no point in a screenshot as you can't see him, just take my word for it)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    It's one lane.

Yes as are a lot of n roads....
    What's your point?

If there is a hard shoulder and a vehicle is slower then others they can move over to give room for a safe pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What's your point?

If there is a hard shoulder and a vehicle is slower then others they can move over to give room for a safe pass.

No they can't, the hard shoulder isn't for allowing people who should have left a bit earlier by; it's for stopping in. At 100KPH you're covering a lot of ground in a very few seconds. It's very easy to end up coming upon an unexpected obstacle, especially where there is an unbroken white line discouraging an overtake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What's your point?

Theres no requirement to, unless you're seriously hindering traffic flow like a tractor, and you only do it when the way is clear.

The overtaking car in that vid took a big risk. Overtook with oncoming traffic in the hope the other car would pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

What's your point?

They can yes, but there's no obligation to and it's up that driver to decide not the over taker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Will never agree with anyone who says pull over to let these arrogant pri*ks overtake. They can bloody wait or overtake at their own risk.
    The law applies to all.
    Barring emergency vehicles and then with great care to my safety and the safety of my passenger/s, i will never pull into hard shoulder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement