Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

Hi I'm thinking of getting a dash cam, for the obvious reasons, accidents etc. However there is someone hanging about the outside of our house. A few metres above our gate nearly every night. I'm afraid to go out and look and don't want to ring the Garda as its not a crime.. I would just love to know who it is. Firstly can dash cam record when car is parked up.?. Secondly this is a rural area that is not lit up, can dash cams record in the dark with no lights on. Thanks.
    Some dash cams have a "parking mode" that record when parked, but without light will not pick up anything.

You would probably be better off speaking to a neighbour (in a rural area most people know "everything"), there might be a totally rational reason for them waiting there. Waiting for a lift for example.

Otherwise you could look at getting an infrared security camera and light mounted on the wall overlooking where they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If in range the wifi link on my ddpai m6 plus can show me live footage from inside the house.

Put up a sensor light and if you do feel something isn't right call the local Garda station phone number.

Just let them know something strange is happening etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Isambard wrote: »
    wouldn't want to travel with Joe O'Neill
    Zatoichi wrote: »
    You can watch him get a top score in Candy Crush.

The cammer who sent me the clip said he was on the phone too!

Mini compilation of submitted clips ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Hi I'm thinking of getting a dash cam, for the obvious reasons, accidents etc. However there is someone hanging about the outside of our house. A few metres above our gate nearly every night. I'm afraid to go out and look and don't want to ring the Garda as its not a crime.. I would just love to know who it is. Firstly can dash cam record when car is parked up.?. Secondly this is a rural area that is not lit up, can dash cams record in the dark with no lights on. Thanks.
    like 12 feet up in the air? anal probing the main danger here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That first one. Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

First capture on my new Dash cam. Lad on scooter Liffey Valley roundabout. Assumed unregistered for road use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First capture on my new Dash cam. Lad on scooter Liffey Valley roundabout. Assumed unregistered for road use.

Yeah there's no way they're legal for road use, not without tax insurance and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=529185074145235&id=303125643417847

Funny one (not really dash cam but) can someone embed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Ok, so literally nothing happens* for the entire 2-mins so I FFWD'd the vid - point is for the entire time there is an empty Lane-1. No reason for the red Golf, or the two trucks, or even the 'speeding Insignia' (what other types are there I hear you say!) :D to be staying in Lane-2

Lucan by-pass inbound, it's like no one even cares that there's a Lane-1. But sure no one enforcing the law, people will stay clueless/careless :rolleyes:

*I just got fed up of making the move across from L1 to L2 to L3 and back to L2 then back to L1 again just to be past the day-dreaming drivers who insist on hogging the lanes - probably I'd get done if some Garda had seen this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

People will get right up your arse in L1 when an exit is approaching, and then you have people merging into L1 further up who will absolutely blow you out of it without even looking. And of course the people sitting in L2 blocking you in won't help. That seems to be the mentality on Irish roads; 'as long as I'm good screw everyone else'. Outbound is even worse on the M4, numerous times I've seen a long chain of cars sitting in the overtaking lane while the driving lane was largely empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I would have just rear ended that cnut he wouldn't be in a hurry to try that again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Octavia playing brake testing games with what looks like an HGV? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Dropped my car in for a service and this happened. Forgot about the dashcam, rewatched the footage as it was unplugged when I picked the car up.

Here's a link to the thread for more detail

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057867000

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Craig I think you've upset the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Got this conbrov T17 claims to be the worlds smallest dashcam check out these two clips and see what you think

https://youtu.be/yuEjFVa6nhI

https://youtu.be/Ck9tTkOYoRI

Mini compilation of submitted clips ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they were avensi I would have bet money they would be traveling Irish ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Let's overtake a slow rider using bus lane. What could possibly go wrong?

P.S Watch it on full screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I'm not one to bash or berate cyclist:: And with over 20yrs driving experience and 100s of thousands of miles on the road..... well I found this behaviour totally unacceptable and downright disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I'm not one to bash or berate cyclist:: And with over 20yrs driving experience and 100s of thousands of miles on the road..... well I found this behaviour totally unacceptable and downright disrespectful.

Their hobby is more important than your time apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^

What they will tell you:
    Cyclists have every right to be on the road
    That was only 2 abreast, it's an optical illusion that makes you think it's more
    Don't over take on s solid white line
    If you can't overtake safely then don't
    Etc etc

The correct thing is to be a patient driver, overtake when you did, move back in far left and then crawl at 15kph and see their reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm not one to bash or berate cyclist:: And with over 20yrs driving experience and 100s of thousands of miles on the road..... well I found this behaviour totally unacceptable and downright disrespectful

Ok, what did I miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

reklamos wrote: »
    Let's overtake a slow rider using bus lane. What could possibly go wrong?

P.S Watch it on full screen

Was bus lane in service?
    Looks like entrapment to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ok, what did I miss?

What did you miss???
    You obviously missed manners from life experience!?
    That's if you think the cyclist in my video were in anyway respectful to other road users or had any road etiquette and common knowledge of what's acceptable behaviour in what can be a very dangerous environment!? eg: A road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

GreeBo wrote: »
    Was bus lane in service?
    Looks like entrapment to me!

Cannot undertake a car unless they are turning right and it is safe to do so, neither of which apply in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What did you miss???
    You obviously missed manners from life experience!?
    That's if you think the cyclist in my video were in anyway respectful to other road users or had any road etiquette and common knowledge of what's acceptable behaviour in what can be a very dangerous environment!? eg: A road.
    They took up a dominant position on the road, which prevents a driver potentially zipping past on a windy stretch of road where oncoming traffic could be anticipated, but not seen. At around 1’20”, for example. Manners don’t come into it. That’s simply good practise.

Perfectly acceptable. Annoying, but that’s life. I drove Sligo to Dublin this morning. Got ‘stuck’ behind a mobile library, a car doing 65 on a perfectly good 100kph stretch, several tractors, and a Spar truck just past Maynooth overtaking a line of trucks at a speed only a couple of kph above the speed they were doing. Took him almost two minutes to get to a position where he could pull back in. Life is full of little irritations. I don’t own the road. I just get to use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement