Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

inforfun wrote: »
    Now this is just beautiful

l

risky but beautiful

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Isambard wrote: »
    Fully agree, people don't do it anymore, granted it's not easy to see over your shoulder in some cars, I do it all the time in my Cortina though.

That is what i dislike most about all the modern driving aids in cars. People stop doing the most basic things.
    When i started to drive, 90% of the time i had to parallel park my non power steered Ford Taunus 2.0 (still miss that car) and managed to do so in gaps that seemed smaller than the car itself.
    Now they cant even get a car properly between 4 lines in a car park.

in my day, you had to parallel park in the test (in the UK)

Same in Holland. parallel park, hill test, 3 point turn.
    And all that without power steering, electronic handbrakes and **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In the old west, you’d hang for stealin’ a man’s horse.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Fully agree, people don't do it anymore, granted it's not easy to see over your shoulder in some cars, I do it all the time in my Cortina though.

Looking over your shoulder doesn't mean you have turn around 180 degrees. The blind spot isn't that big ;

wonski wrote: »
    Looking over your shoulder doesn't mean you have turn around 180 degrees. The blind spot isn't that big ;
    Whoever suggested that. The object of the exercise is to look out of the rear side window(s) .

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Lad gets arrested. Justice prevails.

Why do I find that so hard to believe? Speeding through a residential neighbourhood, potentially killing any child who stepped out behind any of those cars, then knocks the thief off the bike using his car. If he were a cop he'd probably be facing disciplinary action at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Zatoichi wrote: »
    Why do I find that so hard to believe? Speeding through a residential neighbourhood, potentially killing any child who stepped out behind any of those cars, then knocks the thief off the bike using his car. If he were a cop he'd probably be facing disciplinary action at best.

My thought is that while the thief might be charged, the driver is likely to be facing more serious charges. I'm not sure what the charge would be, but deliberately driving a car into a cyclist is not exactly a legal act, even if the cyclist is a thieving little toerag who deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I had to double declutch during my test (Dublin) in my Hillman Minx (column shift) cos synchromesh was gone on second and third (none on first anyway).

Believe it or not the examiner asked me what I was doing that for :D. I passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

You had to pass the yard test in SA before you were even allowed out to do the road test. Parallel park, reverse park, 3 point turn, hill start

Plus reversing around a corner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Plus reversing around a corner

I could never understand the "reversing around a corner" move. Personally I find this dangerous! I'd rather pull into a driveway and reverse the car or do a 3 point turn, rather than blindly reverse around a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

chewed wrote: »
    I could never understand the "reversing around a corner" move. Personally I find this dangerous! I'd rather pull into a driveway and reverse the car or do a 3 point turn, rather than blindly reverse around a corner.

I found it handy the time I had to navigate through a car park with a few 90 degree turns around cars an tight spaces in reverse in a luton box truck.
    Thankfully it doesn't happen too often as I was a nervous wreck :)

The point is to demonstrate your handling of the car and your observation skills. You don't reverse blindly around the corner, you do it in the full knowledge that you are doing it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

My drive has a narrow gate and opens over a footpath onto a narrow but busy road. Reversing out the gate is an absolute no-go (too dangerous for pedestrians and for traffic) so I have to reverse while turning to bring the car into the drive.

I was driving around Scotland last year; there are plenty of roads in the highlands (even those marked on the map as 'A' roads) that are single track with passing places. Reversing into a passing place wile not reversing to a ditch was necessary sometimes.

It is a useful skill to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

My drive has a narrow gate and opens over a footpath onto a narrow but busy road. Reversing out the gate is an absolute no-go (too dangerous for pedestrians and for traffic) so I have to reverse while turning to bring the car into the drive.

I was driving around Scotland last year; there are plenty of roads in the highlands (even those marked on the map as 'A' roads) that are single track with passing places. Reversing into a passing place wile not reversing to a ditch was necessary sometimes.

It is a useful skill to have.

Never saw the point of it myself, until a few weeks after my test, turned left onto the canal from Rathmines to be faced by 2 fire brigades milling towards me on my side of the road and the usual traffic on their side. Surprised myself by how quickly I nipped back around the corner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Not a video but a still of how i have my dashcam mounted

Does this look ok position wise?

I can't put it directly under the rearview mirror as it is very bulky, its a BMW so sensors etc.

i have it behind the rearview mrror on the passenger side, this is good so i dont get distracted by the screen of the dashcam as it is blocked said mirror. it seems to be failry central but please let me know.

453380.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Got a bit of a fish eye look to that image and looks to be pointing right if it is on the passenger side
    Also more than 50% of that image is the sky so you will get focusing issues and end up with dark video on sunny days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

fritzelly wrote: »
    Got a bit of a fish eye look to that image and looks to be pointing right if it is on the passenger side
    Also more than 50% of that image is the sky so you will get focusing issues and end up with dark video on sunny days

Same as this. Point the camera more down so that there's around 20% less sky in the frame

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

josip wrote: »
    So what do ye think, was this a drunk driver or not?
    Be warned, it's 3 minutes of your life you're not going to get back.

I don't think so. Think she just had a fear of oncoming traffic and uncomfortable with the size of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

It was all laughs and giggles until she saw the damage she did to the front of the car.

"Funny" thing is that a lot of the comments on that clip blame the car driver.

maybe 10% to blame for swinging out into her path on her side of the road, but texting and cycling don't mix

fritzelly wrote: »
    josip wrote: »
    Same as this. Point the camera more down so that there's around 20% less sky in the frame

Cheers guys. Yeah it has 160 degree lens so that's why it prob looks a bit fish eye. It is point slightly to the right, just wanted to make sure it got the full width of the car/windscreen.

If I point it down more to get rid of some of the sky will that not just show more of the interior dash etc. ?? Sorry if that's a stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Cheers guys. Yeah it has 160 degree lens so that's why it prob looks a bit fish eye. It is point slightly to the right, just wanted to make sure it got the full width of the car/windscreen.

If I point it down more to get rid of some of the sky will that not just show more of the interior dash etc. ?? Sorry if that's a stupid question

Not a stupid question. Even if it shows more dash, it will then expose correctly. As most cameras take the average light over the whole image and adjust accordingly, if there’s a majority of sky, during bright days the stuff you want to see (cars, road, etc) will become very dark.

Given it’s such a wide angle, you’re going to have extra “space” top or bottom either way and pointing it down a little won’t obscure/remove the road from view

Not a stupid question. Even if it shows more dash, it will then expose correctly. As most cameras take the average light over the whole image and adjust accordingly, if there’s a majority of sky, during bright days the stuff you want to see (cars, road, etc) will become very dark.

Given it’s such a wide angle, you’re going to have extra “space” top or bottom either way and pointing it down a little won’t obscure/remove the road from view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Exporting question.

Folks, my head is melted trying various video editing software. I tried and got to grips with VideoPad. It all went south trying to use/upload a finished vid. It stores in a .avi file which is a project file and not a vid file.

Then tried shotcut and the same end result with a .mlt project file.
    I have tried various file converters (within safe limits) to no avail.

Is there an easy way to do this, pref with shotcut as that's what I have at the mo.
    I basically need to turn a video project file into a usable video file.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The lorry at 25 seconds, this really bothered me yesterday and I was thinking of calling into a Garda station to report it or am I over reacting and should just let it go? I was merging onto the M50. There's a jump where two clips are joined together so ignore that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement