Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

PauloMN wrote: »
    Finally, the worst spot on my drive home - George's Street/Dame Street junction. Don't know what it is about this place, but it is chaos at rush hour between bikes, pedestrians, taxis, buses and cars.... and everyone seems to lose a bit of common sense around here (note the car on the wrong side of the road, reversing as I turn the corner, just as the cyclist decides he's going to cross the road in front of me)...

That junction is unreal and not just at rush hour - its an accident waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Spielberg I am not but here's a few clips. Trigger warning there is a roundabout :eek: stay calm everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Interesting in that his own dashcam was used to convict him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

It didn't look like the VW Bora was involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It didn't look like the VW Bora was involved?

The fact he was cleared an armco and ended up in the ditch would most certainly suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Zatoichi wrote: »
    Interesting in that his own dashcam was used to convict him.

:eek: Shows how much progress has been made with car safety that anyone could even survive that let alone walk away. The state of the Mini Cooper! :eek:

:eek: Shows how much progress has been made with car safety that anyone could even survive that let alone walk away. The state of the Mini Cooper! :eek:

Was thinking that too, the mini was a wrangled mess, but with previous speeding hopefully now he will be a safer driver but preferably he never drives again and as for the young woman - defying the statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

What amazes me about the video above is this happened on 23rd Dec 2017. It is now July and it has gone to court, sentencing handed out and case is closed. As a Irish example, the girl that was acquitted of dangerous driving following the death of 4 of her friends happened in 6th Jan 2015, and was dealt with this week.

And this is very typical of Ireland. Cases of all types, traffic or otherwise, even with good witnesses take years to get to court. Why such a difference when both our legal systems are very similar ?

Rant over .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

What I thought most gratifying was the Cooper driver being done for 2 earlier speeding offences! From his own dash cam! :-)

When you see this happening there's only one way manufacturers will be forced to go regarding dashcams in the future imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It really is amazing. The passenger compartment of the cooper looks like it held up amazingly well considering the speeds. Modern engineering is simply amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From the dashcam I couldn't make out it was a Mini, looked and sounded like something with much more power.

From the dashcam I couldn't make out it was a Mini, looked and sounded like something with much more power.

We ain't talking Mr Bean Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

fritzelly wrote: »
    We ain't talking Mr Bean Mini

The lock would have definitely fallen off if it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Have to wonder what the truck driver was up to, the cars in the overtaking lane were certainly speeding but it's not as if they became invisible. As far as I'm aware the A1 is a motorway so the truck isn't allowed in the overtaking lane, even at 70mph it would have been difficult for the Ibiza to avoid a collision given how close it was to the truck when it changed lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Damien360 wrote: »
    What amazes me about the video above is this happened on 23rd Dec 2017. It is now July and it has gone to court, sentencing handed out and case is closed. As a Irish example, the girl that was acquitted of dangerous driving following the death of 4 of her friends happened in 6th Jan 2015, and was dealt with this week.

And this is very typical of Ireland. Cases of all types, traffic or otherwise, even with good witnesses take years to get to court. Why such a difference when both our legal systems are very similar ?

Rant over .....

Are you kidding me? Young one driving on a provisional unaccompanied in a car legally unfit for the road without an NCT for a year on underinflated tyres and she got away with veering into an oncoming van. No justice for those 4 girls. A very unfortunate loss of lives there.

Didn't hear anything about the 2 Polish lads in the van, hopefully they were ok.

It's one thing for everyone caught on the Garda Twitter without tax/license/insurance getting a fine and a slap on the wrist. Killing 4 passengers doesn't warrant walking away.

Sorry for going off topic, I just read an article that she plead not guilty the other day and was disgusted at what happened.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

She was acquitted by a jury of dangerous driving causing death.

The 3 in the dash cam video pleaded guilty to dangerous driving simpliciter straight away.

Don't let that spoil your rant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

She was acquitted by a jury of dangerous driving causing death.

The 3 in the dash cam video pleaded guilty to dangerous driving simpliciter straight away.

Don't let that spoil your rant though.

The case against her was nonsense. Invalid NCT which she didn't know about , 2 tyres defective but that could have happened just prior to accident. It was stated that even a professional trained driver would not have recovered the car. She wasn't speeding. Not overtaking. Straight road. Not on a phone. She did maintain the car to reasonable quality (that's subjective for many here). Technicalities. It was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Damien360 wrote: »
    The case against her was nonsense. Invalid NCT which she didn't know about , 2 tyres defective but that could have happened just prior to accident. It was stated that even a professional trained driver would not have recovered the car. She wasn't speeding. Not overtaking. Straight road. Not on a phone. She did maintain the car to reasonable quality (that's subjective for many here). Technicalities. It was an accident.

I don't see how it was nonsense. It's her obligation to ensure her car is fit for the road and it wasn't. The front left tyre had signs of deterioration from being underinflated for some time and her rear tyre was flat. Not knowing about the fake NCT disc isn't an excuse either as she needs to ensure her particulars are in order. All she had to do was put the reg in on the NCT website.

She obviously didn't maintain the car if it was on dodgy tyres and carrying a full load she should have increased the tyre pressure. The accident was a result of the poor tyre conditions. If you want to be technical about it she shouldn't have been driving in the first place as she was unaccompanied on a learner permit.

Claiming a professional driver wouldn't be able to correct it is irrelevant.

This will be my last off topic post, I do actually have some clips to post. I'll get them uploaded soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't see how it was nonsense. It's her obligation to ensure her car is fit for the road and it wasn't. The front left tyre had signs of deterioration from being underinflated for some time and her rear tyre was flat. Not knowing about the fake NCT disc isn't an excuse either as she needs to ensure her particulars are in order. All she had to do was put the reg in on the NCT website.

She obviously didn't maintain the car if it was on dodgy tyres and carrying a full load she should have increased the tyre pressure. The accident was a result of the poor tyre conditions. If you want to be technical about it she shouldn't have been driving in the first place as she was unaccompanied on a learner permit.

This will be my last off topic post, I do actually have some clips to post. I'll get them uploaded soon...
    up to the Court to decide, and they did.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    up to the Court to decide, and they did.

The court didn't decide, a jury did. There's a bit of a difference!

There appears to be a big discrepancy in conviction rates in non-jury(summary) and jury trials in prosecuting driving offences and there seems to be an utterly irrational and illogical attitude in the general public that causing death via driving is 'accidental' in ways that causing death in other ways isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

DaveyDave wrote: »

I'll agree with you she should have known about the tyres but the nct disc, come on like really. Do people actually go on to the nct site and verify this stuff?
    Personally I would have given it a visual inspection but I never would have checked the nct site unless I though the seller was a bit dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

The court didn't decide, a jury did. There's a bit of a difference!

There appears to be a big discrepancy in conviction rates in non-jury(summary) and jury trials in prosecuting driving offences and there seems to be an utterly irrational and illogical attitude in the general public that causing death via driving is 'accidental' in ways that causing death in other ways isn't.
    that's what's meant buy "The Court" . The Court process if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is not another chat thread.

Moar videos pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

biko wrote: »
    This is not another chat thread.

Moar videos pls

Bit of a yawn fest, gave up after 5 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

fritzelly wrote: »
    Bit of a yawn fest, gave up after 5 mins

Was just a video to break up the chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Found this on another thread, don't remember seeing it before....

5335_bc5b.gif

imagine having to fill out the claims forms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Watch the truck on left of video .... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Watch the truck on left of video .... :eek:

I think most of us would have noticed without the warning :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement