Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which rimfire to choose in bolt action.

Options
  • 10-02-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have a 10/22 and am going for a bolt action for target shooting.Not sure if I should go for another 22lr or should i go for a different rimfire caliber such as .17hmr
    With either caliber would a cz455 be a good choice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Any cz or anschutz bolt action. Cannot go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

When you say Target shooting what kind of target shooting, plinking target shooting or competition target shooting with a sporting rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ola!

gunny123 wrote: »
    Any cz or anschutz bolt action. Cannot go wrong.

Would the caliber make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ola!

Wadi14 wrote: »
    When you say Target shooting what kind of target shooting, plinking target shooting or competition target shooting with a sporting rifle.

Sporting rifle and comp. target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

You cannot Target shoot with a .17 only .22lr in Rimfire.

The best rifle you can afford but be careful with weight, for example CZ455 20 inch bull barrel with thumb hole stock is too heavy, when you fit any scope it is nearly impossible to get it under 8.5 lbs

Also the NRBAI are the only association which runs competition in Ireland which are recognised internationally. Other associations are running locally ‘made up’ comps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

CZ they are very accurate and affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I have a 455 16" heavy barrel and it is very accurate. A friend has an Anshutz 1710 and it is slightly more accurate, but costs three times the money. I understand from what I've read that weirauch do a 22lr which is very accurate and only a few hundred euros more than a CZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭TombstoneT

Ola Ola!
    I had a CZ 455 LUX 20" sporter which was very accurate. I traded to a 455 American synthetic 16" which has a more comfortable stock, is lighter and every bit as accurate. Good luck in your choice.
    T.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭zeissman

If I was buying a new 22lr I'd wait to get a look at the new tikka t1x before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

zeissman wrote: »
    If I was buying a new 22lr I'd wait to get a look at the new tikka t1x before deciding.

+1 there it has the same footprint and is compatible with t3 stocks that use the original floorplate so there should be no shortage of aftermarket stocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Savage also manufacture reasonably priced rifles that are very accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

As already mentioned by Baker.22 when it comes to competition shooting, weight is one thing that you really need to pay attention to.
    In benchrest shooting you have different weight classes.
    If you go for the sporting prone type of comps shot by NASRPC its a rifle with scope shot mostly at 50m with a 10lbs weight limit.
    On a limited budget CZ is the way to go, if you have won the lottery a new Anschutz 1710 is a good rifle, I never won the lottery so I bought a 2nd hand 1710 lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Maybe a sako quad varmint might be worth a look in 22wmr for what u want can be got in different in calibers too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

If you want to be competitive then it has to be CZ or second hand Anschutz if you're on a small budget, or off the shelf Anschutz if you've the pockets for it.

In standard form the CZ will compare very favourably with the '64 actioned Anschutz for far less money, though the latter has a *vastly* superior trigger; there's nothing off the shelf in a 22LR that will touch the '54 actioned models, but you will pay for them.

Secondhand however, as Wadi above will clearly attest, you can get some serious bargains - I spotted a 1422 for €350(!!) or so a while back. If that thing was in even half decent condition then it would outshoot anything but another '54 bought off the shelf today; and even worst case if it needed to be rebarrelled, and bolt reconditioned, you'd *still* be ~€500 to the good over the price of a new one with a Lilja replacement fitted - at which point it *would* outshoot anything you'd buy off the shelf today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

extremetaz wrote: »
    If you want to be competitive then it has to be CZ or second hand Anschutz if you're on a small budget, or off the shelf Anschutz if you've the pockets for it.

In standard form the CZ will compare very favourably with the '64 actioned Anschutz for far less money, though the latter has a *vastly* superior trigger; there's nothing off the shelf in a 22LR that will touch the '54 actioned models, but you will pay for them.

Secondhand however, as Wadi above will clearly attest, you can get some serious bargains - I spotted a 1422 for €350(!!) or so a while back. If that thing was in even half decent condition then it would outshoot any repeater you'd buy off the shelf today; and even worst case if it needed to be rebarrelled, and bolt reconditioned, you'd *still* be ~€500 to the good over the price of a new one with a Lilja replacement fitted.

I had both the anschutz 1422 and a cz. I do not remember one being vastly better or worse than the other, but the anschutz had a better shaped stock. For a lad on a budget, the cz is a no-brainer, fantastic value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I had both the anschutz 1422 and a cz. I do not remember one being vastly better or worse than the other, but the anschutz had a better shaped stock.

I agree, the difference in the rifle capabailities isn't vast, we're talking in 1/8" terms at 50m at this point, so it is application sensitive of course. For my part though, I've never held a CZ with a trigger that I could live with - I'd put this down as the reason why when I've tried them side by side, the Anschutz '64, in that case a 1416, allowed me to produce better groups. In a vice, they may very well have produced equivalent groups, I don't know, but I couldn't shoot the CZ as easily as I could the Anschutz.

...and if you see a '54 outshot by a '64 then the former is either in very poor repair, or the problem isn't with the rifle. ;)
    For a lad on a budget, the cz is a no-brainer, fantastic value for money.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

If you are going with anschutz i would personally look in the UK as well even for second hand guns you could pick up one for cheap second hand as a project gun it costs less than you'd think to think to import a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Tikka have just released the T1x rimfire. Apparantly prices are comparable to CZ equivalent but with a far superior outo f the box trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

I have a CZ452 in 22 LR and very accurate.

The 17 is a bit too powerful and expensive for 50m target shooting, which usually involves quite a few shots.

Talk to MNSCI, An Riocht, Lough Bo, Fermoy, BRC, ECSC or any of the ranges with 100m or more and see if they have anything that interests you.

There are loads of competitions offered on a club and National basis all over the island in 22lr - Prone, Benchrest, Gallery (freehand) and bespoke.

Go to a few ranges, talk to them, attend a few matches and see what other people are shooting, have a chat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Baker.22 wrote: »
    You cannot Target shoot with a .17 only .22lr in Rimfire.

The best rifle you can afford but be careful with weight, for example CZ455 20 inch bull barrel with thumb hole stock is too heavy, when you fit any scope it is nearly impossible to get it under 8.5 lbs

Also the NRBAI are the only association which runs competition in Ireland which are recognised internationally. Other associations are running locally ‘made up’ comps.

I bought the CZ 455 varmint heavy 16" barrel with the thumb hole stock secondhand for mainly benchrest sporting rifle target shooting. And cos it looks great with the thumb hole stock. But with a half decent scope I could not get it under the 8.5lb weight limit, 5oz overweight. Scope must be a max of 12 power or set at 12 power if it goes higher.

My answer was to get another stock, a very old CZ Brno, and cut the heart out of it to make the 455 fit. I pillor bedded both stocks, and fitted from DIP-ink 20MOA long picatinny rail, new adjustable sear, the four spring kit (the lightest spring used), and +10% firing pin spring. Trigger is very light with the DIP-ink custom sear and spring replacements.

With a Hawk sidewinder 30 8-32 x 56mm scope the rifle with Brno stock comes in 3oz under weight, and has already won me a third place club benchrest comp. using RWS R50 rounds.
    I chose the Hawk 8-32x56mm scope to shoot in the 100m comps. that our club runs.

441569.jpg

441570.jpg

441571.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement