Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT optional extras

Options
  • 11-02-2018 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I've been looking through previous posts and can't find an answer to this.

I'm looking to buy a used Audi from the UK with a few extras that aren't standard in Ireland. It was first registered in May 2014. As its February 2018 now I'm just wondering if I'll be charged more for the optional extras? I tried working it out from the revenue website but got confused when they added the extra 1.

Year = (age in months/12) + 1
    (Age in months = (age in years * 12) + (Month of registration in the State – Month of
    first registration)).

Information would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s optional extras and there’s trim levels. Optional extras would have been ordered outside of the trim level,
    What’s standard in Ireland doesn’t come into it, only what was ordered outside the standard equipment for a given UK trim level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The extras are only charged for Audis under 2 years old. The amount on the vrt calculator is what you pay(assuming you chose the right make/model &co2 is as per v5)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There will be a price difference with the trim level but it's the co2 that really makes the difference, just looked there and a 2017 A5 if you went for the 204bhp version instead of the 245bhp you'd save about €4000. The trim level is giving about a €500 different, so choose your engine carefully for VRT.

michellie wrote: »
    The extras are only charged for Audis under 2 years old. The amount on the vrt calculator is what you pay(assuming you chose the right make/model &co2 is as per v5)

You don't pay for extras it's the trim level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Veryconfused2

I put all the correct information into the looked calculator, it's a sport model which I have been told does not come standard with satnav (technology pack) and the comfort package. I didn't realise they don't charge Audi's over 2 years old extra. That's great help, Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

You don't pay for extras it's the trim level.

You do if the car is only a certain amount of years old, I believed it was 4. If you bring in a 40k BMW with 10k of extras, the revenue will want their cut. An old article below details it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/vrt-officials-step-up-checks-on-high-spec-cars-1.895750%3fmode=amp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I put all the correct information into the looked calculator, it's a sport model which I have been told does not come standard with satnav (technology pack) and the comfort package. I didn't realise they don't charge Audi's over 2 years old extra. That's great help, Thanks!

I just looked at the revenue guide and I don't see anything on Audi having some special exemption for 2 years.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf

delly wrote: »
    You do if the car is only a certain amount of years old, I believed it was 4. If you bring in a 40k BMW with 10k of extras, the revenue will want their cut. An old article below details it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/vrt-officials-step-up-checks-on-high-spec-cars-1.895750%3fmode=amp

I brought in a car with a load or extras under 4yrs old, the extras never came into it. Just checked the vin number at the inspection at that was it, they don't have access to the information to start charging for all the extras.
    Fake News.

Used to be for cars under 4 years old. It's been 2 years with about 5 years now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭pah

Organise your vrt booking for last thing Friday. Mine was about 8.40pm the girl barely took the reg she wanted to be out the gap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

I brought in a car with a load or extras under 4yrs old, the extras never came into it. Just checked the vin number at the inspection at that was it, they don't have access to the information to start charging for all the extras.
    Fake News.

Similar story as myself, I vrt'd a 6 month old car with 13K (Irish equivalent prices) of extras, the VRT fee was within €100 of the VRT estimate inthe website, they checked VIN no and shag all else

Not every make of car is subject to additional charges for extras. Only the likes of Audi,BMW, Merc, Jaguar, land rover, Porsche...(under 2 years old)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Not every make of car is subject to additional charges for extras. Only the likes of Audi,BMW, Merc, Jaguar, land rover, Porsche...(under 2 years old)

6 month old 420d in my case

BMW 530d in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭pah

Are the staff in the NCT centres revenue though? do they really care about maximising the taxes

pah wrote: »
    Are the staff in the NCT centres revenue though? do they really care about maximising the taxes

No they're not Revenue. When it's a manual Revenue valuation for a vehicle under 2 years old, it's someone in revenue in Rosslare valuing the extras.

Advertisement