Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are any landlords her only renting to people that are chaseable for damage and money

Options
  • 11-02-2018 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I was out for a meal with some old friends last night and the housing crisis came up.
    I was telling them my story about renting an Airbnb now and how I was so upset when I had to move before I nearly badly hurt a landlord who had been good to me just because I thought he was being mean when he wasn't. And I finally came to my senses and saw his side.

Well it turns out three of the people at the table were landlords and they said they feel really hard done by from rental rules. Between them they had some horror stories which I won't go into but they did all agree on something interesting.

They all said that from now on they will only be renting to people with good solid long term jobs.
    The reason being in not so many words that those tenants are less likely to cause damage or owe rent simply because they have a reputation to keep. Ie they can be chased up for any money owed for rent or damage done, so will be less likely to do it.

I can see their logic and wondered if more landlords thought the same. I didn't realize they would have the strong opinion on it that they did. They all said they would leave their place empty rather than rent it to someone they could not be chased through the courts, if they couldn't find a suitable tenant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Every landlord thinks the same. Of course you are going to look for the best possible tenant for your valuable property. You'd be an awful twit otherwise, especially with the legislation the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Every landlord thinks the same. Of course you are going to look for the best possible tenant for your valuable property. You'd be an awful twit otherwise, especially with the legislation the way it is.

They weren't just talking about looking for the best possible tenant though. They had a line where if they couldn't find a tenant above that line they were happy to leave empty until they did find one. Ie tenants both working with very good job working in respectable company for at least two years. They were adamant that if they had no chance chance of getting loses back from a tenant then they were not having that tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Kelly I have three apartments in cities, all have been rented all the time to people, mostly single, with well paying jobs. I have a lovely house in a town about 40 mins for a city, much lower rent, rented to families/groups of friends, in 10 years I have never had hassle with the higher rentals, and lots of hassle with the lower. I put another house recently on Airbnb and when the current occupants of the house above leave, that is going on Airbnb as well. I will leave it empty before I would take in another tenant who I have any doubts about. Interestingly, I ask for the equivalent of 3 months rent (first,last,deposit) on the apartments, no problem whatsoever, ask the same for the house and I used to get a bit of abuse.

It is just to hard to deal with bad tenants, they have far more rights that the property owner.

Sounds like you think exactly how my friends were thinking. They were saying they want responsible people who show they have a good track record and good jobs. Basically people who have something to lose if they go rogue.
    People who costs can be recouoed from should they need to be.

They said someone who has nothing to lose just doesn't give a fcuk, so they will treat the landlord and the property like sh1t because it won't come back to them even if it goes to court.

Someone with a good job and income knows that they will be paying if it goes to court so will have much more respect.

I just did the know how prevelant it was that landlords were activley vetting their tenants this way because of the tenancy rights skew.

One of then said the their apartment came up for rent last month and the removed everything from it because of the rent control.
    They said the rent was stuck at €1040 per month when it could be €1300 per month. They took everything out and put it up for rent at €1040 totally empty and not even painted. The less to break or go wrong the better.

And when asked about the state of the place and no furniture, they just said this is what you get for €1040 per month here, take it or leave it, and just give it back in exactly the same state you get it in, empty and not painted.
    They rented it no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

This proves nothing except that in a tight market landlords can be picky. Come any recession and they will be accepting HAP.

• Advertisement

It’s also potentially discriminatory. As in non Irish residents can be a risk under this ideology.

It’s also potentially discriminatory. As in non Irish residents can be a risk under this ideology.

As long as they don't tell why they can pick and choose who they like.

This proves nothing except that in a tight market landlords can be picky. Come any recession and they will be accepting HAP.

I think it has less to do with the market being "tight" and far more to do with the difficulty in dealing with bad tenants.

This is true. If you couldn't rent it to someone else you would have to take what you can get, or just leave it empty I guess.depends how desperate the landlord is for money. Even with half of it going to the tax man.

I have read nothing on this thread about color nor origin, can you point out where you see discrimination? Two of my apartments are rented to non nationals, an American and two Arab girls. If a non National has a good job and high income, I certainly wouldn't care where he/she came from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I think it has less to do with the market being "tight" and far more to do with the difficulty in dealing with bad tenants.

It is obviously a combination of both, asking for bank statements and letters from employers etc is fine in the current market but when it changes it will likely make it harder to rent out a property.

davo10 wrote: »

So you are saying that if the market collapses landlords will be as picky. Not buying that.

I have read nothing on this thread about color nor origin, can you point out where you see discrimination? Two of my apartments are rented to non nationals, an American and two Arab girls. If a non National has a good job and high income, I certainly wouldn't care where he/she came from.

The thread title is about the “chasability” of the tenants. If this was a concern then landlords might be worried about people who could leave the country.

rgace wrote: »
    It is obviously a combination of both, asking for bank statements and letters from employers etc is fine in the current market but when it changes it will likely make it harder to rent out a property.

You can only deal with the conditions in front of you though, so I really the only things to consider are the conditions of today
    For all we know next year there will be no tax to pay on rental income and it will be cheaper. Or maybe it will still be too high and there will be no landlords renting. You just don't know the future, so today it is.

The thread title is about the “chasability” of the tenants. If this was a concern then landlords might be worried about people who could leave the country.

True. Anyone can leave the country. But most people with careers have probably got scruples.
    Except for my boss :)

But even he would be mortified at people finding out he wrecked an apartment or didn't pay the rent, even if he left the country to avoid court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There is nothing too complex here. There is a business model behind everything, whether you are renting to working professionals, those on welfare, or to man wearing his underwear outside his pants.

Don't put it all on professionals though, you find scumbag behaviour in all walks of life.

rgace wrote: »

Personally I don't think so. A dip in the economy will not mean there are more properties to rent or less people to rent them. The only way things will change is if there is an explosion of house building projects, and that is not going to happen. I was speaking to an EA friend of Thursday, he told me that he cannot get enough houses in the 2-4K range, he had recently sold out an 18 house development the day it went on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

KellyXX wrote: »
    Sounds like you think exactly how my friends were thinking. They were saying they want responsible people who show they have a good track record and good jobs. Basically people who have something to lose if they go rogue.
    People who costs can be recouoed from should they need to be.

They said someone who has nothing to lose just doesn't give a fcuk, so they will treat the landlord and the property like sh1t because it won't come back to them even if it goes to court.

Someone with a good job and income knows that they will be paying if it goes to court so will have much more respect.

I just did the know how prevelant it was that landlords were activley vetting their tenants this way because of the tenancy rights skew.

One of then said the their apartment came up for rent last month and the removed everything from it because of the rent control.
    They said the rent was stuck at €1040 per month when it could be €1300 per month. They took everything out and put it up for rent at €1040 totally empty and not even painted. The less to break or go wrong the better.

And when asked about the state of the place and no furniture, they just said this is what you get for €1040 per month here, take it or leave it, and just give it back in exactly the same state you get it in, empty and not painted.
    They rented it no problem.

A very good idea but there is one 'small' issue re no painting, etc. If a potential tenant with a good job , good references, etc , sees it he/ she may be turned off being interested in it. Saying ' Well, if that's the way the landlord keeps his property , I wonder how interested is he/she in keeping the overall property maintained'

So you are saying that if the market collapses landlords will be as picky. Not buying that.

Unless you have been living in a cave for the last few years, you will know that the rental problems are not due primarily to wage inflation, increase in population etc, it is primarily due to the lack of availability of rental properties. Can a market collapse when there is undersupply and high demand? It certainly would be an unusual economic event.

But going back to your point about discrimination, how is checking that you have a good job and can pay the rent discrimination?

Field east wrote: »
    A very good idea but there is one 'small' issue re no painting, etc. If a potential tenant with a good job , good references, etc , sees it he/ she may be turned off being interested in it. Saying ' Well, if that's the way the landlord keeps his property , I wonder how interested is he/she in keeping the overall property maintained'

True.
    But she only needed one suitable person to realise that they were getting a bargain. If they bought all their own furniture and got it nicely decorated they could cover the cost in a couple of months of the savings compared to renting the one next door.
    Anyway she rented it handy enough to a suitable person.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    There is nothing too complex here. There is a business model behind everything, whether you are renting to working professionals, those on welfare, or to man wearing his underwear outside his pants.

Don't put it all on professionals though, you find scumbag behaviour in all walks of life.

True. There is scumbaggery everywhere, but it's all about where is peak scumbaggery I guess. You have play the odds as best you can.

KellyXX wrote: »
    True. There is scumbaggery everywhere, but it's all about where is peak scumbaggery I guess. You have play the odds as best you can.

This effectively is what your friends, and most land lords, try to do. Reduce risk. It's not a perfect model and there is no guarantee of success, but you still have to try. Most tenants are good, but it's the LL who owns the very valuable asset which is being used so the greater risk lies with the property owner. It is common sense to try and do all you can to mitigate those risks by setting criteria for tenants. Good job, afford the rent, good references etc are the most obvious criteria. If the applicants don't meet it and you can afford to do it, better to wait for a better applicant than rent to someone you are not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What do you mean you nearly badly hurt the landlord.
    Do you mean you were going to assault them???!!!
    Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A thread where the OP agrees with every single reply

Very rare indeed on boards :/

Wesser wrote: »
    What do you mean you nearly badly hurt the landlord.
    Do you mean you were going to assault them???!!!
    Jesus Christ.

No.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    A thread where the OP agrees with every single reply

Very rare indeed on boards :/

Agreed.
    That's what I get for staying up all night I guess.
    Time to sleep soon. I'll be my usual argumentative self after some zzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What did you mean?

Unless you have been living in a cave for the last few years, you will know that the rental problems are not due primarily to wage inflation, increase in population etc, it is primarily due to the lack of availability of rental properties. Can a market collapse when there is undersupply and high demand? It certainly would be an unusual economic event.

I don’t know why we got into this tangent but of course a market can collapse when there is undersupply and high demand - it has to first transition to a case of oversupply and low demand.
    But going back to your point about discrimination, how is checking that you have a good job and can pay the rent discrimination?

It isn’t. As you probably know since I’ve explained it twice I am interested in what is meant by “chaseability” as mentioned in the title.

I have no idea how a person with a good job with over two years service is more chasable than someone with a job recently achieved. Which would be more common for immigrant.

There’s some reading between the lines needed here but there’s a clear potential for discrimination there.

Wesser wrote: »
    What did you mean?

Oh did t realise there was a question.
    I was a bit down at the time I got my notice to move and looking for somewhere else broke my heart at the amount of extra rent I would have to pay. So I got my other half to go and find d out what we could do from housing charities and they basically said to just overhold and not to worry. I was all for it and fcuking over the landlord who was always good to us, but eventually I saw sense when my other half pointed out what an idiot I was being at a time when I was willing to listen to him.

The it turned out that our landlords business was in trouble and they needed the money from selling the house as they couldn't get enough money from the rent that was locked way below what they could be getting as they we're being nice to us all these years. I felt so guilty about it all, still do.

• Advertisement

I don’t know why we got into this tangent but of course a market can collapse when there is undersupply and high demand - it has to first transition to a case of oversupply and low demand.

It isn’t. As you probably know since I’ve explained it twice I am interested in what is meant by “chaseability” as mentioned in the title.

I have no idea how a person with a good job with over two years service is more chasable than someone with a job recently achieved. Which would be more common for immigrant.

There’s some reading between the lines needed here but there’s a clear potential for discrimination there.

I was talking about someone you have the most chance of getting money and costs back from should you win a court case. These type of people are easily identified and would by nature not want to end up in a position where you took them court and they lost.

Even easier indentifiable are people who you would get nothing back from.shoukd you take them to court and win.

Probably not rocket science.

Advertisement