Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP in Laois

Options
  • 11-02-2018 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Is anyone here currently renting through HAP in Laois county council? The rent limit for Laois is listed as €580 per month for one/two adults and a child but what does that mean exactly? Is that the maximum support I could get if I qualified for HAP or that the rent can't be above this amount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Rent can't go beyond that amount. Means you must find a place to rent for that price or less. You then pay a contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

myshirt wrote: »
    Rent can't go beyond that amount. Means you must find a place to rent for that price or less. You then pay a contribution.

With HAP you are allowed exceed the threshold and pay the additional amount directly to the landlord as a topup this is one big difference over previous schemes.

Some councils have the ability to exceed the maximum threshold on a case by case basis. I.e if you find somewhere for 950 they may well accept it but this mainly happens in rent pressure zones where rents for new tenants havent kept pace with the thresholds

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Karol_bil17

But surely that can't be right. If it is then there's not a chance of finding a two bed for €580 and below. Cheapest place in Portlaoise €800 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

But surely that can't be right. If it is then there's not a chance of finding a two bed for €580 and below. Cheapest place in Portlaoise €800 per month.

It's an assistance payment, you'll have to fund some of it yourself.

Advertisement