Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Dublin

Options
  • 11-02-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am planning a weekend trip to Dublin with 2 nights stay by June end with my wife and toddler from Letterkenny. As this is my first trip to Dublin other than for the Airport, it would be very helpful, if some one suggest some economical way to getting around and the places to visit. How about the Hop On amd Hop Off services? I am planning to book my stay with AirBnB. So far we planned for attending a cricket match at Malahide and a visit to Dublin zoo.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One option is the Visitor Leap card, which does not include the hop-on hop-off, though to be honest, unless you particularly need a guided tour, this ticket will get you to any thing you want to see.
    http://dublinbus.ie/Fares-and-Tickets/Leap-Card/Visitor-Leap-Card/

Dublin is quite small. If you need further help on which bus to get to where, post again and we will help. Do you know where in the city you will be staying yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

spurious wrote: »
    One option is the Visitor Leap card, which does not include the hop-on hop-off, though to be honest, unless you particularly need a guided tour, this ticket will get you to any thing you want to see.

Dublin is quite small. If you need further help on which bus to get to where, post again and we will help. Do you know where in the city you will be staying yet?
    I am planning to stay in Macken Street. Can you please suggest me some attractions in Dublin to visit? And how this leap card differ from hop on and hop off? In my minimal knowledge, it seems like hop on and hop off is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It won’t get you to Malahide, for a start.

Hop on hop off is a tour service. Not a transport one, per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Rainislove wrote: »
    I am planning to stay in Macken Street. Can you please suggest me some attractions in Dublin to visit? And how this leap card differ from hop on and hop off? In my minimal knowledge, it seems like hop on and hop off is cheaper

The Hop On Hop Off services are run by private operators with buses running a particular route, which takes in many of the main attractions.

The visitor Leap card allows use on public transport (bus, train, Luas ... see the link here https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-visitor-card as the Dublin Bus link above mentions nothing about train or Luas) which is useful if you want to travel off the Hop On Hop Off route (Malahide would require a bus or train).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depending on your interests:
    National Museum - Merrion Square, Collins Barracks
    Kilmainham - you may need to book for that it's very popular
    Trinity College /Book of Kells
    Dublin Castle/Chester Beatty Library
    National Art Gallery
    Municipal Art Gallery
    Guinness Storehouse (very touristy - unless you've a big interest in pints I wouldn't bother)
    Jameson Distillery (if they ask for a volunteer at the start, put up your hand - free whiskey, including at least one very good one)
    Croke Park including the Skyline tour
    Temple Bar - just to see, I'm not saying it's worth seeing
    Howth
    Malahide
    Grafton Street shopping area
    Henry Street shopping area
    There are some free walking tours which are worthwhile (they work on a tip basis):
    http://www.dublinfreewalkingtour.ie/
    http://www.nextdublintours.com/
    From Macken Street, you can walk to the city centre. You could walk across the Samuel Beckett bridge and walk up through the IFSC, see some of the new architecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

Thank you very much. How would be the idea to stay in Macken Street? Is it a safe place to get around?

Rainislove wrote: »
    Thank you very much. How would be the idea to stay in Macken Street? Is it a safe place to get around?

There's not a lot down there apart from the Bord Gais Theatre, but it's quite a busy street traffic-wise so there is almost always someone about. Take the usual precautions. Wear any bag across your body, don't go flashing a 700 euro phone about, you'll be fine. If you are not comfortable walking (and have a Leap card) there are a number of buses go to and from the centre via Pearse Street.

**edit The Ark might have something to amuse the child.
    Also Airfield in Dundrum (near the shopping centre) is a lovely place to visit.
    St. Anne's park also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Viking Splash tour is good fun :)

Advertisement