Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help please, trying to decide between an Avensis vs Passat both 2011

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

just seen that now Colm bit late with the advice so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

Jim_bop wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just to say thank you for your advice, I went with the 11 reg Avensis in the end. I rang a friend of a friend who is a mechanic and he was Avensis all day long, wouldn't touch a first generation 1.6 Passat. Interestingly, he works for a very reputable main dealer who has recently branched into importing UK cars. He and his colleagues spend their time getting these mechanically showroom ready so to speak, he wasn't very encouraging about the quality coming in.

I could have got a lovely 12 reg luna for 900 more with 50k miles but it had cream suede seats that just wouldn't work with a young family, there was also a 131 strata for 1k more with like 70k miles. Alas, while they were nicer cars I figured I would never get the 900/1k back and the 30k miles was just too good to pass up.

Now, to keep that DPF healthy!

Take it for a spin every now and then you will have no issues at all I have a 12 over 3 years with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just on this, this is more a reflection of the type of cars and the price level the garage is bidding on rather than the state of the UK used car market.

+1, there is loads of choice in the UK, absolutely no reason at all to buy a car over there in poor condition. The English tend to be very good at looking after their cars and are obsessed with cars having a full service history, yes there is rubbish over there just as there is in Ireland, but there's loads of nice cars over there for any budget.

Advertisement