Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights to stay after 6 months?

Options
  • 11-02-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello, my landlord has informed me they are not sure if they want to renew my 6 month lease which ends this month as it will then be harder to move me out if they wanted to sell,
    I've actually lived in the house and been paying rent since April last year but did not have a lease until September.
    Can anyone tell me exactly what rights I have now and what rights i would have to keep renting the house after the end of this current lease?
    I don't believe the landlord does want to sell the house within the next few years anyway and might just be trying to get me out and move someone else in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The LL can move you out when they need to sell. That aside you've been there over six months, they can only move you out now for one of the stated reasons (selling, needed for own use that sort of thing). If they try and evict you open a case with the RTB. What's on paper is not an issue it's what (you can prove) actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Danleo171

Ok thanks so much for the info, so my lease ends at the end of this month, would i be entitled to sign another lease after this or could they just simply refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

Danleo171 wrote: »
    Ok thanks so much for the info, so my lease ends at the end of this month, would i be entitled to sign another lease after this or could they just simply refuse?

You don’t need to sign a lease. You can inform them that you want to stay on under a Part IV tenancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Danleo171 wrote: »

You are on whats known as a Part IV tenancy- if you don't sign a further lease.
    From the landlord's perspective- they are better off not giving you a further lease to sign.
    They can terminate the tenancy in any event- for the stated purpose of selling the property- the only discussion you have with them- is the length of the notice period- its defined under the Residential Tenancies Act- however, there is nothing to stop the landlord agreeing a longer notice period with you.

If the landlord intends to sell the property- they will need vacant possession of the unit. They also cannot give you notice- until any fixed term tenancy has elapsed. So- in short- once your lease ends- the landlord can validly give you notice- on the grounds they wish to sell the unit. When you originally moved in to the unit- simply determines the length of notice you're entitled to.

At present- as your tenancy is more than 6 months- but less than a year- you're entitled to 35 days notice. Once its over a year, but less than 2 years- this increases to 42 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Danleo171

Ok thanks everyone for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement